• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE DARK KNIGHT appreciation thread
1 1

90 posts in this topic

Love these movies, the only complaint I had was the Batman voice.  It just seemed to get worse as the trilogy went on.  I think the way they mixed it in BvS was a superior take on it.  Other than that I have zero complaints about these 3 movies.

On 8/10/2019 at 7:02 PM, media_junkie said:

Love these movies, the only complaint I had was the Batman voice.  It just seemed to get worse as the trilogy went on.  I think the way they mixed it in BvS was a superior take on it.  Other than that I have zero complaints about these 3 movies.

I think it's good.

The main difference being that Bale opened his mouth when he spoke. He's also English, so I wonder if that limits has vocal range. Batfleck speaks more from the throat with his mouth closed (when he's not wearing the "interrogation suit").

The Dark Knight was my favorite movie for a decade (until I saw Infinity War).

The Dark Knight and Iron Man came out at about the same time. IM's success allowed Marvel to continue with their expanded universe experiment and more light-hearted style while DK's success and more traditional style had everybody else copying it for a while. Turns out dark and gritty realism only works for Batman (as Spider-Man, FF, and Superman found out) and now everybody is trying to copy Marvel to their detriment. Crazy world.

14 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

The Dark Knight and Iron Man came out at about the same time. IM's success allowed Marvel to continue with their expanded universe experiment and more light-hearted style while DK's success and more traditional style had everybody else copying it for a while. Turns out dark and gritty realism only works for Batman (as Spider-Man, FF, and Superman found out) and now everybody is trying to copy Marvel to their detriment. Crazy world.

hm

Logan01.PNG.b19c8f4f6b6377c2c244380a3f2cf434.PNG

Must have been copying MCU films with that desire. :whatthe:

On 8/10/2019 at 2:13 PM, Bosco685 said:

Prior to the set days where everything is a giant green screen surrounding the filming.

TheDarkKnight01.thumb.PNG.fbe65431e164b9fd8d8c620ebd807e7f.PNG

now you see, i'd rather see a documentary about how all the different insurance entities had to come up with the ok for this: movies studio, building owner, film bonding company, etc. It's all cool until someone dies. On the building ledge, on the ground below, is part of that jib arm gonna reach out over ledge where a camera/crane piece can fall?

but that's just me and why i kinda don't have that many friends.

if you really, really want to know who has final cut of a film, it's the bonding company. This is of course excluding the projectionist in the theater who of course has the final say on everything.

PROTIP for whomever may be interested: when on set when things like this/or ANY stunts are going down, stay far, far, far away. If you were there, you're gonna get a subpoena. Things go wrong on film sets all the time. It's kinda eye opening having lunch with the stuntman who spent months in the hospital after nearly being decapitated by a train during the reboot/whatever of The Lone Ranger. The parties at the hotel after the shoot folks, not on screen. 

Edited by NoMan

12 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Logan01.PNG.b19c8f4f6b6377c2c244380a3f2cf434.PNG

Must have been copying MCU films with that desire. :whatthe:

Okay, let me amend "dark and gritty" to straight-up copying Christopher Nolan's movie style which is what films like Amazing Spider-Man (which I liked), Fantastic Four, and Man of Steel did. A kind of over-serious, heavy, dark and brooding, and in the end, pretentious movie. 

5 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Okay, let me amend "dark and gritty" to straight-up copying Christopher Nolan's movie style which is what films like Amazing Spider-Man (which I liked), Fantastic Four, and Man of Steel did. A kind of over-serious, heavy, dark and brooding, and in the end, pretentious movie

Comparing 'Man of Steel' to Fantastic Four and Amazing Spider-Man, you are just doing your regular routine. And I guess that serves a purpose. If you want to convey bias and limited production scope.

16 minutes ago, NoMan said:

now you see, i'd rather see a documentary about how all the different insurance entities had to come up with the ok for this: movies studio, building owner, film bonding company, etc. It's all cool until someone dies. On the building ledge, on the ground below, is part of that jib arm gonna reach out over ledge where a camera/crane piece can fall?

but that's just me and why i kinda don't have that many friends.

if you really, really want to know who has final cut of a film, it's the bonding company. This is of course excluding the projectionist in the theater who of course has the final say on everything.

PROTIP for whomever may be interested: when on set when things like this/or ANY stunts are going down, stay far, far, far away. If you were there, you're gonna get a subpoena. Things go wrong on film sets all the time. It's kinda eye opening having lunch with the stuntman who spent months in the hospital after nearly being decapitated by a train during the reboot/whatever of The Lone Ranger. The parties at the hotel after the shoot folks, not on screen. 

Very interesting. And with some of the set deaths recently (Deadpool 2, Titans, The Walking Dead), you would think this would get even more attention.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

Very interesting. And with some of the set deaths recently (Deadpool 2, Titans, The Walking Dead), you would think this would get even more attention.

look it's just a different perspective I have from where i sit and i'm often jealous i can no longer sit where you guys get to sit.

yes, people are dying for your 4k box set in your xmas stocking. Often non-professionals. Often background players/extras in the line of fire of a cable recoil going about 900 mph. Ever seen someone almost bleed to death to make whatever movie bigger with more action? That's not even talking about crew falling asleep after the 17th 19 hour day on the roads. I mean why even talk about the crew?  (See film Pleasentville)

I'll jet off now and knock the buzzkill off and pull the curtain back closed. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. 

Edited by NoMan

55 minutes ago, telerites said:

@Bosco685

Hi Nick :hi:

Any more news on Keaton reprises his role?  Did you have a thread on it that I missed?

I think it would be great.  He is still my favorite after the films.  

Perfect timing, my friend.

:hi:

Check the Flash movie thread. Though there are rumors it will lead to Batman Beyond.

:wishluck:

I recently obtained Mafex 6" figures of Batman and Joker from this film and was inspired to re-watch it.  I've seen it somewhere between 10 and 20 times before, but it had been a few years since my last viewing.  Something new about its excellence occurred to me...I don't think there's a single five-minute sequence you can remove from this film and not have it be a worse film.  I watched it looking for such a segment and could not identify one that if removed wouldn't make it worse  I've ranked my top 30 superhero films in another dedicated thread, and even the other movies in the top 10 have some 5-minute segment you could remove and have it be either better or about the same because what's contained within that five minutes is just average at best and doesn't enrich the story or characters as a whole, but if you muck with the Dark Knight you've made the movie worse because EVERY five-minute segment you could pick has HIGHLY compelling and finely-crafted content interwoven into the rest of the film.  There are moments you could remove and probably should--for example I don't mind Bale's voice, but I know tons of people do and you could replace it with something else and have it absolutely work--but no extended segment of five minutes, ANYWHERE.  I know many people think the last half-hour seems extraneous, and I absolutely see why they think that, but there's just SO much goodness in that last half-hour, and five minutes absolutely does not pass without that superb quality being there.

When I left the theatre on opening day in 2008 I was absolutely floored at how good it was.  Twelve years later I still am.  This movie's craftsmanship and compellingness is just as superlative now as it was at the time, and everything making it great seems relatively timeless meaning it should continue to age gracefully.  It shines so brightly compared to all other superhero films it's hard to even envision another surpassing it.  I could point out at LEAST a dozen elements, probably several dozen, that Nolan achieved that no other superhero film has.  I hope I see something better than this, but I'm not expecting to.  IT'S JUST SO GOOD!  (worship) (worship) (worship)

I'm a near-complete Marvel zombie, but Nolan made Batman my crossover passion.  :cloud9:  It hasn't expanded to other versions of the character which I do enjoy but don't revere like I do Nolan's Batman or multiple Marvel characters and teams.

Edited by fantastic_four

On 12/21/2021 at 3:51 PM, Bosco685 said:

For anyone searching for The Dark Knight Trilogy in 4K digital VUDU has an EOY sale going on. All 3 for $14.99 as part of the Mix & Match catalog.

TDK_Trilogy.PNG.58190df7ce958db7b68aed827189949d.PNG

Not a bad deal but one of those is in SD which I believe means “Suck a D, I ain’t watching Batman in 480p.”

Spring for the set on iTunes and get all three in 4K for a twenty. Just skip the strip club this weekend.

248B23D0-A5C3-4B69-83EB-D59477B29EC0.jpeg

Edited by ▫️