• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE DARK KNIGHT appreciation thread
1 1

90 posts in this topic

On 12/21/2021 at 11:43 AM, ▫️ said:

Not a bad deal but one of those is in SD which I believe means “Suck a D, I ain’t watching Batman in 480p.”

Spring for the set on iTunes and get all three in 4K for a twenty. Just skip the strip club this weekend.

248B23D0-A5C3-4B69-83EB-D59477B29EC0.jpeg

No.

You are able to buy 3 movies for $14.99 that is either in SD, HDX or UHD/4K quality. Just the way they format the page you would assume each falls under a given quality.

On 12/21/2021 at 8:08 PM, Bosco685 said:

No.

You are able to buy 3 movies for $14.99 that is either in SD, HDX or UHD/4K quality. Just the way they format the page you would assume each falls under a given quality.

Ok, if thats the case I would definitely advise jumping on the 3 in 4K as you can’t beat 5 bux a flick. 

Scott Mendelson from Forbes did an article about Batman Begins and how it laid the perfect groundwork to setup The Dark Knight to be a huge success.

Why ‘Batman Begins’ Still Contains The Best Sequel Tease Of All Time

Batman Begins perfected the sequel tease before Marvel’s Iron Man and left audiences excited about a confrontation between the Dark Knight and the Joker.

Today is the 15th anniversary of Chris Nolan’s Batman Begins. The relative success of the acclaimed and buzzy Chris Nolan-directed origin story spurred an entire sub-genre of studios taking somewhat known IP and giving them “gritty” origin stories. Just because audiences liked Batman Begins didn’t mean they wanted the same treatment for King Arthur or Robin Hood or Han Solo. Ironically, Batman Begins was barely a hit, earning $371 million on a $150 million budget. It was the $1.004 billion success of The Dark Knight which Hollywood attempted to emulate, even if breakouts like that are the exception rather than the rule.

Nonetheless, The Dark Knight was only a hit because audiences really dug the serious but unapologetically pulpy, witty and exciting Batman Begins. It earned a sequel, and it damn well earned its crowdpleasing sequel tease, which revealed that Christian Bale’s Dark Knight was about to meet the Joker.

Part of what he outlines is potential influencers that impacted it being a much larger box office success.

One of the reasons Batman Begins wasn’t a monster hit, aside from potential audience caution over Batman & Robin eight years earlier, was the absence of marquee movie stars and villains. Morgan Freeman, Liam Neeson and Michael Caine were, at best, added-value elements. Bale was a cult favorite thanks to the likes of Newsies, Empire of the Sun and American Psycho, but he wasn’t a “butts in the seats” draw, nor was relative newbie Cillian Murphy (two years after 28 Days Later).

Moreover, Scarecrow and Ra’s Al Ghul, while quite well-known to comic fans (and those who consumed Batman’s various animated adventures), were nowhere near as popular as the likes of Joker, Riddler or Catwoman. Nolan’s commitment to comparative realism meant that the costumes were noticeably less flamboyant and comic book-faithful compared to the 1989-1997 franchise.

For most consumers, the biggest pre-release selling point of Batman Begins was “Oh, it’s another Batman movie,” and that it was only barely a hit under ideal circumstances should have served as a warning to copycats.

Then he gets back to discussing its perfect sequel lead-in.

Batman Begins opened amid rave reviews with $48 million over the Fri-Sun portion of its $72 million Wed-Sun debut. At the time, I considered it slightly disappointing, since the likes of X2 and Spider-Man were posting $85-$114 million domestic debuts. But the film legged out, earning $207 million domestic ($293 million adjusted-for-inflation) amid a crowded summer season. Nonetheless, its sheer quality left fans dizzy with anticipation for a sequel.

Nowhere was that more obvious than in the film’s epilogue, where Bale’s Caped Crusader and Gary Oldman’s Jim Gordon, as the two discuss the perils of blowback and escalation while Jim reveals an unusual piece of evidence found at the site of a robbery/homicide. “Like you, he’s got a flair for the theatrical,” Gordon states as he turns up a blood-spattered joker playing card.

It’s worth remembering that audiences cheered, roared with approval and/or giggled with glee not because of the mere idea of another Batman/Joker movie. Audiences chose to get nuts because Batman Begins was a terrific action drama, and the idea of The Joker rampaging through this specific Gotham City, matching wits with this specific version of Batman and James Gordon in this specific cinematic incarnation of the Dark Knight was downright thrilling.

Christian Bale hasn’t shut the door completely on playing Bruce Wayne/Batman for a fourth time on the big screen. There’s just one stipulation: Christopher Nolan must direct. The Oscar-winning actor recently told ScreenRant that he’d put on the Dark Knight’s cape once more as long as Nolan’s back in the director’s chair. Nolan directed Bale in three Batman movies, with “The Dark Knight” and “The Dark Knight Rises” both grossing over $1 billion at the worldwide box office.

“No. No one’s ever mentioned it to me. No one’s brought it up,” Bale said when asked about reprising Batman. “Occasionally people say to me, ‘Oh, I hear you were approached and offered all this.” And I’m like, ‘That’s news to me. No one’s ever said that.'”

Re-watched the Nolan Trilogy yet again recently with the girls after watching The Batman and finally cracked and bought these. Waited so long to get them but watching so much Batman just made me crack.

294024084_10227672228221469_915521556569

293962977_10227672228341472_542557262340

On 7/20/2022 at 6:14 AM, Boozad said:

Re-watched the Nolan Trilogy yet again recently with the girls after watching The Batman and finally cracked and bought these. Waited so long to get them but watching so much Batman just made me crack.

294024084_10227672228221469_915521556569

293962977_10227672228341472_542557262340

Outstanding!

On 7/20/2022 at 11:30 AM, Bosco685 said:

Outstanding!

Couldn't make my mind up on which Joker to go for, it was always that McFarlane Batman for me, it's such a fantastic piece. I'm so bloody picky when it comes to The Joker though, always been a big fan of Capullo's work and the link to McFarlane was just too tidy to overlook, plus I think that's the best Joker piece in the B&W series.

Now if they'd done a Bolland Joker B&W like this it would have been a different story...

The-Joker-Kotobukiya-ARTFX-one-bad-day-B

Marvel star Jonathan Majors had some singing praise for The Dark Knight this week. In a long letter to Variety, the Kang the Conqueror actor reflected fondly on his first experience with a midnight showing. But, more than that, he singled out the Christopher Nolan movie as an example of popular art challenging its audience in interesting ways. It feels like ages ago, but a lot of the current stars in Hollywood would have been to the theater to see the second in Nolan's Batman trilogy in their formative years. Majors clearly had the experience imprinted in his mind. Christian Bale and Heath Ledger are dueling forces in an epic that owes quite a debt to Fyodor Dostoevsky's The Brothers Karamazov. In a lot of comic book movie top tens, The Dark Knight still stands tall after more than a decade and change.

"Christopher Nolan's "The Dark Knight" is one of those rare films that entertains at the highest cinematic rung while simultaneously challenging its audience with each frame to reach higher in their own self and social knowledge, teasing our retinas with color palettes and patterns that prescribe meaning, and incites debate in our imaginations and the collective subconscious," Majors rhapsodized.

"And the film asks what it is to be human, what it is to be alive and to participate fully in one's own living. "The Dark Knight" etches so vividly the agnostic morality of survival and the discipline of goodness," Majors continued. "Nolan's second installment of the "Dark Knight" trilogy holds in its run time an impregnable truth: Life and people are beautifully complicated and evolving. It is this fact that has allowed "The Dark Knight" to stand up and stand out all these many years later."

On 12/22/2022 at 8:22 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I bought the trilogy in 4K Steelbook Collector's Edition recently. I now have 3-4 copies of TDK. lol

It is crazy when you reflect back on these early DC and MCU films that have massive Home Theater Sales results. Not only because they were good, but also they have gone through every phase of disc packaging.

1. DVD single
  2. DVD Special 2-disc
  3. Blu-ray single
  4. Blu-ray/DVD Combo
  5. Blu-ray/DVD/Digital Combo
  6. 4K/Blu-ray/Digital Combo
  7. Digital direct purchase

01_DK.png.caf9f6ba80021fbcc1acda4ff49e2153.png

01_IM.png.55b042f685e03ff8a038849ab1c72c35.png

01_DKR.png.e32eebf704ac009f27ac352b42dd776f.png

Edited by Bosco685

On 12/22/2022 at 8:39 AM, Bosco685 said:

It is crazy when you reflect back on these early DC and MCU films that have massive Home Theater Sales results. Not only because they were good, but also they have gone through every phase of disc packaging.

1. DVD single
  2. DVD Special 2-disc
  3. Blu-ray single
  4. Blu-ray/DVD Combo
  5. Blu-ray/DVD/Digital Combo
  6. 4K/Blu-ray/Digital Combo
  7. Digital direct purchase

Yup. lol My mom bought me a Special Edition Blu-ray of TDK for X-Mas in '08 or '09. Then, I bought a Special Edition of the trilogy in 2014. Now, I have these Zavvi 4K ones. If this new Collector's Edition has everything that the 08/09 one has, then I can finally give that copy to someone else.

On 12/22/2022 at 8:51 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Yup. lol My mom bought me a Special Edition Blu-ray of TDK for X-Mas in '08 or '09. Then, I bought a Special Edition of the trilogy in 2014. Now, I have these Zavvi 4K ones. If this new Collector's Edition has everything that the 08/09 one has, then I can finally give that copy to someone else.

I went back through my old DVD/Blu-Ray collection and found so many different versions of Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Returns. Marketing at Disney and WB excelled when it came to milking these movies for all they are worth.

Unfortunately with Batman Begins there is no tracking available on Home Theater Sales because it was so early (2005) for all that tracking. I bet that total is just as massive as the later sequels.

01_BB.png.120d178858b823d903de642f1598e235.png