• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hunting the 6 variants of Batman 457 (1st Tim Drake ROBIN)
8 8

511 posts in this topic

58 minutes ago, JWKyle said:

I'm in California and I actually don't remember when I bought the book. I'm sure i didn't buy it for any other reason then to have a Batman 457 in my run.  I buy stuff on the boards ,Ebay , online dealers , local shows and shops so it could have come from anywhere. 

That ink mark on the top right corner is interesting, it looks as if someone tried to fill in that jaggered perspective line.

I never noticed that particular line before but it is different from the others, not as smooth or straight. 

8 hours ago, Carl Elvis said:

That ink mark on the top right corner is interesting, it looks as if someone tried to fill in that jaggered perspective line.

I never noticed that particular line before but it is different from the others, not as smooth or straight. 

It's actually on the bag not the book I will scan it again tonight when I get home from work

For the record I put up my CGC graded 8.5 copy on eBay and it sold yesterday for the best offer price of $1,200. I had turned down an offer for $800.

This was more or less what I expected at this point with no established sales history, though I have a feeling this may look like a steal one day.

I looked at most of the rare books over on Recalled Comics and this particular comic has 2 things going for it that the others don't .... it's a 1st appearance & its Batman.

It'll be interesting to see how the other copies grade and sell going forward.

Edited by Carl Elvis

Mine went in for fast track grading this morning. Probably an 8.0-8.5...we'll see

Only one I'm missing for the set is the 1st Print Newsstand '000'. I'll have to chase that one down.

Edited by AGGIEZ

9 hours ago, AGGIEZ said:

Mine went in for fast track grading this morning. Probably an 8.0-8.5...we'll see

Only one I'm missing for the set is the 1st Print Newsstand '000'. I'll have to chase that one down.

Yeah that one can take a while to track down. I messaged sellers on eBay for a few weeks until someone confirmed the copy they had up for sale had the "000".

So it looks like a Nightwing movie is a go, which makes a Tim Drake film debut a bit more of a possibility (apparently Warner Bros did a Facebook tour of the set and already confirmed the dead Robin in Batman V Superman was Jason Todd).

Not that they have to do a 'Batman & Robin' in the DC films, but if ever Tim has a shot, this is it.

Just in case, I'll keep a copy of the 2nd print newsstand tucked away. :wishluck:

Edited by Carl Elvis

On 2/24/2017 at 0:41 AM, Carl Elvis said:

For the record I put up my CGC graded 8.5 copy on eBay and it sold yesterday for the best offer price of $1,200. I had turned down an offer for $800.

This was more or less what I expected at this point with no established sales history, though I have a feeling this may look like a steal one day.

I looked at most of the rare books over on Recalled Comics and this particular comic has 2 things going for it that the others don't .... it's a 1st appearance & its Batman.

It'll be interesting to see how the other copies grade and sell going forward.

You have really set a GPA record!

No. 457, Volume 1, 2nd print, National Per. Publ/Detective Comics/DC Comics (1990)

add.png
( 9.8 )    -    -    -    -   $36  Sep-2014

add.png
( 9.2 )    -    (1) $15    (1) $15    -   $15  Oct-2016

add.png
( 8.5 )    -    -    (1) $1,200    (1) $1,200   $1,200  Feb-2017

Interesting to see that there are only 2 versions on GPA, no newstand designation or variant.

2 hours ago, Bird said:

You have really set a GPA record!

No. 457, Volume 1, 2nd print, National Per. Publ/Detective Comics/DC Comics (1990)

add.png
( 9.8 )    -    -    -    -   $36  Sep-2014

add.png
( 9.2 )    -    (1) $15    (1) $15    -   $15  Oct-2016

add.png
( 8.5 )    -    -    (1) $1,200    (1) $1,200   $1,200  Feb-2017

Interesting to see that there are only 2 versions on GPA, no newstand designation or variant.

lol yeah someone looking just at that graph would be wondering what is going on.

Yes unfortunately CGC doesn't note if it's a direct or newsstand but we know the 9.2 is a direct because it was on eBay for a while and it's unlikely those 9.8s are newsstands.

Edited by Carl Elvis

5 hours ago, Carl Elvis said:

lol yeah someone looking just at that graph would be wondering what is going on.

Yes unfortunately CGC doesn't note if it's a direct or newsstand but we know the 9.2 is a direct because it was on eBay for a while and it's unlikely those 9.8s are newsstands.

Another one bites the dust.:sumo:

Edited by divad

4 hours ago, Carl Elvis said:

I was about to post the link, looks great!

I noticed the 7.5 on the census yesterday and was wondering when it would pop up.

:popcorn:

(thumbsu hope you don't mind...I borrowed your indicia pic. There are a few that have asked about it already. I don't think there is much knowledge on that out there.

7 hours ago, AGGIEZ said:

(thumbsu hope you don't mind...I borrowed your indicia pic. There are a few that have asked about it already. I don't think there is much knowledge on that out there.

Not at all (thumbsu

The new label looks great too, the copy I sold was before they added "newsstand".