• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buying Expensive Comics Across International Lines

3 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if there's tax implications if I buy a comic that costs ~10K and it has to be shipped to the US from Canada? The shipping company wants to register me as a 'importer' which I'm not too excited about. Anyone have experience with something like this they can share?

The internet made me believe some items can be shipped w/o tax implications and others have tax implications above 2,500. It wasn't clear to me which category comic books fell into.

You should probably ask advice from the courier you plan to use for carriage when you set up an account. Choosing between Fed/UPS etc.. would be based on your preference presumably based on their insurance coverage...I'm not going into that.

Up front, so you have an idea -

- there are no federal taxes or duties into the USA - there could be MPF (a US customs user fee)

- there could be local/state "use" taxes that you have to self assess, not sure (shrug)

- $2500 is the threshold for formal entry (your courier/broker can explain release/post entry liquidation etc..)

- you should probably set up an account with a courier, since you'd be better served by choosing an overnight air solution - two day transit at the most is the longest I'd want it in their system

- when you set up an account you will have to give them your personal info (including SSN) so they can use that when doing your entry, try to arrange pre-clearance with the courier the day it's picked up... :sumo: set up your account before it gets shipped.

There are other third party options but the above gives you a general idea if using one of the larger couriers (Fed, UPS) many of the other international cross border service options are safe and reliable.

You could also choose postal options, some give a decent online view of your package's status but I don't have much clarity on how US postal clearance would occur for something valued that high.

:wishluck: Welcome to the boards!

Have them declare a low value for customs. That number is strictly used to determine how much taxes to charge you. You may need to get some better advice if you are buying this as a business. If this is for your personal collection you probably could fly under the radar without issue.