• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

whats a good price for this book?

19 posts in this topic

My only problem with sales like this is that the CGC equivalent is so much more expensive than the raw books.

Around Xmas last year, I saw a long listing is MTU issues, in four-comic lots from around 6-21 or so. The seller advertised them as "excellent condition, VF at least" and priced them at $3.99 a lot.

Granted, the guy wasn't a big comic dealer (more like a pawn shop owner with huge feedback) and although I followed the auctions, I was away when they ended. I looked at them after and was surprised to see that not one had been bid on. One quick email later and the seller said he'd let them all go for bid price and he'd cover shipping.

Let's just say I was pleasantly surprised at the undergrading, as these were obviously collector books that had somehow found their way into his hands. I've bought others like this in VF/NM-NM+ condition, but never really gave it a second thought. Demand has always been rather low for those "tweener MTU issues" after X-Men in #4 or so, especially 11-20.

Now with bizarro CGC prices like this, I really don't know what to think, but it does sound warning bells when the raw comics can command little respect, and the graded equivalent goes through the roof. As opposed to high-demand books that run both ways.

.....it was a crazily high price for the book, i think it guides for around $25 in NM.............i was attracted to it for the early app of werewolf by night, i don't really go for MTU as such, but like to collect the issues where spidey teams up with other fave characters of mine...........

...........it was a nice looking book i must say, but what was the buyer thinking............ crazy.gif

Do you guys think that I should submit mine as I am sure it would get at least a 9.4 grade.

That's a darn good question, as some of these whacky sale prices are never duplicated. It might be two guys competing that drove the price high, and now that one has the book, you might get $30 for it next time??

On that note, was Dracula ever in a Bronze MTU or MTIO issue?

.....thank brian, i'm not really a big MTU collector, i only really buy issues with characters i like.............so i'm not really familiar with the prices they go at (i was dangerously tempted by the cgc copy on ebay........phew, close one) ....................i'll PM you next time i'm looking for some.............. grin.gif

The MTU series is probably the only real bargain I have ever found on eBay...

paid $200.00 for the entire series, #1-#5 are only Fine to Very Fine but the rest is NM... Still have to start reading them though. They are about 2500 books away from reaching the top of the reader pile shocked.gif

You're preaching to the converted here smirk.gif I believe you !

I read a few of the stories as Dutch-language translations in the late 70's...

The reason that they are near the bottom of the pile is that I only started collecting about a year ago and have since then bought about 5000 books... and haven't been able to read more than 50 books a week... and since I'm always buying, I guess I have enough reading material to last me a few years yet smile.gif