• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Warren Magazine Appreciation - Cover & Story Favorites
4 4

242 posts in this topic

Here's another I already had scanned. Frazetta at his best.

e81.jpg

Just an FYI, that cover was originally supposed to front POW #1 which Wally Wood had convinced Jim Warren to produce as an adult oriented mag (22yrs and older).

893whatthe.gif Never seen that one before. Can someone elaborate a little on its rarity and value?

October, You could say that this is probably the rarest Warren book out there. At least top 2. It has a dismal print run of 400 copies. I'm not even sure how they were distributed to newstands? Maybe just on the East Coast. But Warren, printed this book in order to secure the name House of Horror. If you had heard, Warren had done some work in the European market working with some of the Hammer Magazine groups out there. Where there was a little bit of a falling out as I understand, and Warren caught wind that they were going to create a new magazine titled House of Horror. Well they did, but Warren got the rights to the name first so the House of Horror Mag that was created by the European publisher had to pull their copies immediately. There might be some corrections to be made in that statement, but that is how I understand the situation.

As for value, it is really up in the air. I've seen copies go as high as $450+ in stated FN/VF, but they dont come up too often. So I've only seen 2. shy.gif

-bounty

Bounty (as usual) is on the mark with his info on this lil gem. That being said, let me interject my ego err opinion. Its definitely a rare Warren book, the print run gurantees as much but it is by no means the rarest... Being that 'House of Horror' is a non-comic it opens the door for rarity comparsions with all Warren mags. This includes the original magazine 'After Hours' adult magazine. I'd daresay that few (if any) on this board have ever seen an 'After Hours' #1 in person. Also, the Vampirella HardCover had a run of 500 (of which almost half were destroyed when they came back from the printer). And then there is the insanely troublesome Eerie#1 which I have given up on as I will never be able to convince myself on the authenticity of any of these copies that find their way to market. The Illustrated History of Heidi Saha is another that deserves mention, however for the most ridiculously rare Warren we have the '1961 Famous Monsters Convention Book ' which was handmade, only 3 exist and they are all in Forrest Ackermans personal collection. Woe to the Warren completist.

Hey Guys, Finally gots me a scanner tonight!!!! Whoop Whoop. Haha. No more blurry photos.

Though I would showcase this Corben Love off... mi amore cloud9.gif

1229124-Image0005.JPG

Note, I had to scale this JPG down to fit the boards size constraints...but fairly happy with what it's producing so far.

1229124-Image0005.JPG.70d94ef7c14dadd14fd1a1f8c534c5ec.JPG

Edited by bounty_coder

I have the 'House of Horror' that was issued by the british publisher of "House of Hammer/Halls of Horror" and spurred James Warren into issuing his rushed one shot. Ironically, like the hastily arranged Warren effort, that premiere (and only) domestic version of the british mag is also comprised of mainly reprints and even has a reprinted cover!

Got my grade back for the Creepy #1 File Copy, 8.5, not a super high grade, but it was also signed by James Warren at the show last month, so being a SS and File Copy should be pretty good. Will try to post a pic when I have the book back in hand.

Okay, got the Creepy #1 file copy with Warren's sig on it back today, not a super high grade, but not many file copies out there either (I believe Jim Warren may have one). Looks great to me :grin: (scan is so-so, mags always have to be pieced together in photoshop)

creepyfile.jpg

From what I can gather from various websites he was born 1930, so about 78 years old. He has had some health issues since the 80's, so I am just glad he is still around.

When you look at some of these books and realize they are almost 50 years old, it's a wonder there is anyone left to sign them. I felt like it was appropriate for him to sign the file copy, due to the fact it was either in his desk or a cabinet near him for many years. The copy came from a guy that worked at Warren in the 80's when the company was going down the tubes.

No clue as to how much it might be worth, it's priceless to me, due to the fact it was most likely flipped thru on occasion by some very famous writers, artists, and a famous publisher.

Hey,

I have an entry for favorite story. Does anyone recall reading an LSD horror story? When I was in elementary school I misplaced a large format b&w comic magazine with the first story featuring a Spanish vampire and another of a LSD sugar-cube party that got "outta hand". Just wondering if anyone knew what publication and/or issue it was. I have been trying to find the magazine for the last 10 years.

Probably not the same story but I remember one where a guy travels to the Himalayas and finds a mystic who gives him a LSD type of drug to find the "meaning of life". Although warned not to take it, the guy does anyway and experiences a beautiful "trip" at first. It then turns bad as he is filled with visions of old age and death. When he wakes, he finds his "trip" actually lasted some 80 years and he is now an old and feeble man. I seem to remember this story being in either Creepy or Eerie.

btw: Welcome to the Boards!

Okay, got the Creepy #1 file copy with Warren's sig on it back today, not a super high grade, but not many file copies out there either (I believe Jim Warren may have one). Looks great to me :grin: (scan is so-so, mags always have to be pieced together in photoshop)

creepyfile.jpg

Makmorn-You always come thru with some killers books.That is Sweet!! :cloud9:

Hmm, actually, I think it should be to the right of Frazetta's signature... (thumbs u

(sorry don't have a scan of it yet with Frank's signature, maybe in a few days)

3 sigs on the file copy :cloud9: (thank goodness there is no one else to sign it, running out of room)