• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Warren Magazine Appreciation - Cover & Story Favorites
4 4

242 posts in this topic

893whatthe.gif Never seen that one before. Can someone elaborate a little on its rarity and value?

October, You could say that this is probably the rarest Warren book out there. At least top 2. It has a dismal print run of 400 copies. I'm not even sure how they were distributed to newstands? Maybe just on the East Coast. But Warren, printed this book in order to secure the name House of Horror. If you had heard, Warren had done some work in the European market working with some of the Hammer Magazine groups out there. Where there was a little bit of a falling out as I understand, and Warren caught wind that they were going to create a new magazine titled House of Horror. Well they did, but Warren got the rights to the name first so the House of Horror Mag that was created by the European publisher had to pull their copies immediately. There might be some corrections to be made in that statement, but that is how I understand the situation.

As for value, it is really up in the air. I've seen copies go as high as $450+ in stated FN/VF, but they dont come up too often. So I've only seen 2. shy.gif

-bounty

I believe the European mag changed its name to "Halls" of Horror or House of "Hammer" to get around this.

Also as I mentioned before, (I will have to check the article again) but I believe that Forrest J. Ackerman's

house was robbed a couple of years ago and a large stack of his personal copies of House of Horrors # 1 were stolen.

I believe he even offered a reward for any info.

Also as I mentioned before, (I will have to check the article again) but I believe that Forrest J. Ackerman's

house was robbed a couple of years ago and a large stack of his personal copies of House of Horrors # 1 were stolen.

I believe he even offered a reward for any info.

So you know it must have been a collector/dealer right? Who else does a burglary over mags? What douchebags some people are.

I located the article mentioning the House of Horror magazine for anyone who is interested…

The following is an excerpt from an introduction by Forrest J. Ackerman for the 1988 “Collector’s Guide to Monster, Science Fiction and Fantasy Film Magazines” price guide.

“This mysterious magazine American oneshot, House of Horror, missing from 99% of completists’ collections: here’s the story on it. There was such a magazine in England. Warren learned they were about to ship a number of copies to America each issue. He didn’t want any extra competition so he rushed into print a domestic magazine with the same name, reprinting 4 articles by me with a 5th reprint by Dennis Billows, an assistant of mine at the time. The edition was extremely limited ---only 400 copies, if I recall correctly, though on a nice white better stock of paper than FM ---because the publisher only had to satisfy certain copyright regulations, such as circulating 200 copies in 5 states (or whatever). This was in 1978. The unsold copies of the “ashcan” edition he gave to me. At one time an assistant (not Billows) stole about 30 copies from me and sold them to a dealer in a nearby city. After the perfidy came to my attention (and the assistant was gone) I bought back my own magazines because they had been sold for far less than I knew they were worth.”

hi.gifWelcome to the boards! hi.gif

Yes, that one is regarded pretty rare from what I know. I don't know what "general" interest it would have, but for Warren completists it would be a nice find, especially in that grade.

Found this on the web. I know that mag goes for multiple hundreds of dollars.

Yet to turn fifteen, Heidi Saha was a girl who made some appearances at comic and sci fi fan conventions during the seventies, dressed as the scantily clad bloodsucker Vampirella, or other fantasy femme characters.

“Apparently, or allegedly,” writes Piers, “she caught the eye of both James Warren and [Famous Monsters editor] Forrest Ackerman, and was promoted by Warren, as a way of saying thank you, for the publicity she created around some of the Warren characters.”

It’s not difficult to see why the Heidi Saha magazine, next to the Heidi poster, should be one of the rarest of the Warren titles to track down. Apparently only 500 were printed, but in itself this isn’t such a bad figure when compared to House of Horror or Eerie No 1, which hit 200 in its first incarnation. It’s just that Heidi Saha is such a damn odd thing for a horror publisher to produce, not to mention a tad unsavoury.

“The photographs are basically a family album and convention pictures, of a sometimes unsmiling Heidi.” Piers diplomatically steers clear of stating the obvious, but there’s no denying the implication.

Recent pick up...Creepy # 40. This issue contains one of my favorite Tom Sutton stories; "The Fade-Away Walk"! This is an upgrade to my worn and well loved VG childhood copy. This is also a very tough issue to get in HG due to the solid black cover. This issue i would give 8.5 for the fingerprints to the right and the crease at the bottom.

900427-Creepy%2340.jpg

Here is the first page from the Sutton story...

900427-Creepy%2340Art.jpg

589a8ea819bd5_900427-Creepy40Art.jpg.e9999e33565c498903eff4c06e8e8915.jpg

PM RedRaven, I know he was looking for one...

Thanks for the heads up. I put it up on Ebay (the wildly disparate starting bid and Buy It Now price reflect the crazy price spread I've heard about the thing.). Hopefully it will find a good home.

The seller ended this listing early because of an error in the listing.

confused-smiley-013.gif

Yeah, I screwed up - it had an old shipping address in the description. It will be back up again tonight at 10:30pm eastern:

Click here after 10:30PM tonight

I am interested to see how much you get. Such a weird book. That back cover looks like her jr. high yearbook pic and then they have her in a fur bikini top with a phallic arrow on the cover! foreheadslap.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

Crazy, huh? The whole book is like that, with captions that try to be cute, but come off as...something else.

I may scan some of the pages before I ship it. The book's gotten an almost filthy reputation, when it's really just kind off...odd. Folks should see the inside before spreading some of the stories I've been reading.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6972987786

Edited by terminallunch