• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Visit to Casa Berk
3 3

85 posts in this topic

I've known Jon (jbcomicbox) for a number of years and though he had invited me to visit, it wasn't until a week ago that we finally met up at his place. If you've been reading the GA forum this year, you'll have seen scans of quite a few of his comics and understand what a special event this was. I'll give you a cliff notes version of the visit.

As I drove down the long tree-lined lane that wound it's way through the estate, passing the formal gardens and the peacocks strutting majestically on the perfectly manicured lawn, I was still not prepared for the grand manor that lay at end of the road.

Okay, maybe his place isn't quite this nice but he makes up for with a lot of really cool comics! thumbsup2.gif

I got a tour of a portion of the art collection, which his better half has graciously allowed him to place throughout many rooms in the house. The vast majority are either from the forties, drawn by a wide variety of GA artists, or are recreations done by the original artist or, in the rare case, by a fan of the original artist. Does it slight Murphy Anderson to call him a Lou Fine fan when he recreates the cover to Mystery Men 3? I don't think so, given his superb work on the piece.

After that we gathered in the comics room, which would be the wet dream of any GA collector. Every inch of every wall is papered with GA art. Chesler covers by Ricca and Sultan, Lou Fine pages from Wonderworld and National, the cover to Planet 1 by Eisner and Fine, the list goes on and on. He opened a closet door and on the inside of the door was more art on the back of the door and in the closet as he has absolutely run out of space to hang any more! I could have spent an entire day trying to soak all of it in without ever feeling a twinge a boredom.

Unfortunately, I was "forced" to look at comics as I couldn't spend all day. He had quite a few of his books out for us to look at. The first that I remember seeing was Mystery Men 3, his favorite comic. "Let me show you why I like both the Larson and the Mile High copy. Here, you hold the Mile High," he says, handing me the book out of the mylar (that was not a typo!), "and I'll show you how the registration is slightly better on the Larson copy." "Why, yes, it is," I choke out, trying hard to make sure I don't slobber or drop the copy I'm holding. Mystery Men #3, is an absolutely beautiful book -- the coloring on it is stunning, with the girl's blonde hair a striking contrast to the brown background.

gossip.gif After the comparision, I can say that I highly recommend owning either the Mile High or Larson copy.

From there we went wherever our conversation or the mood led us. We looked at Action 1-10, Detective 1-10, Wonderworld 1-32 (MHs naturally), Aces, Peps, Wow 1-4 (unbelievably historic and scarce!), and his collection of oversize comics: Jumbo, Master, New Fun, etc. He showed me numerous important transitional items that are part of the development of the modern "slick" comic, including way too many for this newbie to remember. It was the first time I had seen many of these books, due to their scarcity as well as because they fall outside of whatever collecting expertise I have. This was much more than show and tell: it was a seminar, really, that complemented the many articles that he has written over the years on the pre-hero era of comics.

Jon pulled the Detetective 1 and 27 from the mylar and shocked me again by handing them to me, commenting on how nice the gloss felt on the Detective 1. Barely able to speak, I nodded, as indeed it DID feel good to hold Detective 1 and to leaf through it, or to read the first Batman story in the Detective 27. I have never in my life held a Detective 27 in my hands -- this was an extraordinarily generous act on Jon's part which was repeated with Whiz 1, Banner 1, Wonderworld 7&11, Fantastic 3 (FANTASTIC!) and Hit 5! The Fantastic 3 surprised me because I had seen other copies, but they were not bright, white and pretty like the Church copy. It is an enomorously appealing book! We compared the Hit 5 and the Scoop 2, a Charlie Sultan swipe of Fine's cover, and the gloss and colors are the Church copy of the Hit are stunning. I was completely mesmerized by it, though I still have high regard for the Scoop. The Hit, with it's deep gloss and strong colors, reminded me of a classic, cherry-red sports car with 15 coats of wax.

Jon, I'm sad to report that I was unable to confirm Mystery Men #3 as my favorite Lou Fine cover, as I still haven't seen all of your Lou Fine covers. Maybe on the next visit we can look through the rest of your comics? I'll bet if we skipped nonessentials like meals or sleep, we could do it in a couple days. insane.gif

Seriously, thanks BIG TIME for allowing me to visit, as it was a thrill and a privilege to see a such an important collection. cloud9.gif Your passion for the comicbook (one word!) and it's creators, is clearly reflected in your collection, and is exceeded only by your generosity to the hobby. hail.gif

Long after the visit was over, I was still quiet, pondering the central question that remained unanswered: "How long does it take to process adoption papers?" flowerred.gif

Edited by adamstrange

Wow, very cool! Adam, thanks for the recap, and Jon, thanks for letting him in to recount your amazing collection to us.

Er, I don't suppose there are any pictures of this event?

I'm not much of a picture taking kinda guy. Jon has certainly posted many of the comics I described, as well as placed a link to his online art gallery (which shows only a portion of his collection). Maybe we can persuade him to take a few pictures of his comic room?

Maybe we can persuade him to take a few pictures of his comic room?

That's what I was kind of hoping for. It's one thing to see pictures of great comics individually, it's another to see a bunch of amazing comics all gathered together. Witness the great pictures that gpcove took of Ian Levine's collection.

Did anyone else get the feeling they were reading a Penthouse Forum letter? poke2.gif

893whatthe.gif I've been outed! My true profession has been revealed!

Maybe we can persuade him to take a few pictures of his comic room?

That's what I was kind of hoping for. It's one thing to see pictures of great comics individually, it's another to see a bunch of amazing comics all gathered together. Witness the great pictures that gpcove took of Ian Levine's collection.

I think seeing pictures of people's comic rooms, collections or groupings of key issues is my favorite thing on the boards. I just wish there was more of it. I would love to see some photos of JB's room...or anyone else's for that matter.

Amazing. I literally can't imagine seeing books like those in person, let alone leafing through them (I think my hands would be shaking violently). Very nice recap, Adam!

Wow, wonderful. To actually get to hold a Detective #1 and #27 in your hands. 893applaud-thumb.gifcloud9.gif

....as i said (and meant) to 'Adam' ...."They are only comicbooks..."

The kick is that very few see the collection and fewer still can 'appreciate' it. Our family friends just politely nod....I always get a kick when someone knowledgeable like 'Adam' looks and knows what he is seeing....and it is always a kick to 'expand' his knowledge....

to me much of the fun of 'collecting' is sharing (and, from time to time, 'styling off')....

...reading his account, i am astounded at what he remembered......Personally, i am on the downside of brain cell retention.....jon