• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Visit to Casa Berk
3 3

85 posts in this topic

Sounds like an amazing day out Adam. Nice one John. thumbsup2.gif

That's what I was kind of hoping for. It's one thing to see pictures of great comics individually, it's another to see a bunch of amazing comics all gathered together. Witness the great pictures that gpcove took of Ian Levine's collection.

Whilst this was by some way the highlight of my comic collecting life, all the books were stored in mylites and I never actually got to physically touch any of them. Leafing through a Tec 27 would be amazing (although, funnily enough, Ian had two copies at the time, but both were away being restored I think).

wow! john you are very generous to show your personal action 1...

im takin a guess,,a vf- white pages?

To quote Jon himself from the Have a Cigar thread where he answered that question before, here's Jon's assessment of his copy:

"about a VG+, there is a small chip out of spine by the No. 1 and a sun shadow in lower right.....nice pages.....nice solid copy"

Scrooge, the reference librarian

hi john. b

thanks for the generousity of showing me your action 1,its greatly appreciated..

im the owner of the 6.5 blue label copy,and a big superman collector[everything superman..i have costumes from the tv show and movies,comics,toys etc...

im really enjoying your collection and i just wanted to take the time to let you know that i[we appreciate]you..

I applaud you for being able to leave AdamStrange... You wouldn't have been able to budge me from the chair. I can't begin to imagine being in that room. It's stunning to just think about it. I'll have good dreams tonight...

Did you happen to notice his Wings #87 and #91 cover recreations by Bob Lubbers? Were they as incredible as the pictures on ComicArtFans.com are?

I applaud you for being able to leave AdamStrange... You wouldn't have been able to budge me from the chair. I can't begin to imagine being in that room. It's stunning to just think about it. I'll have good dreams tonight...

Did you happen to notice his Wings #87 and #91 cover recreations by Bob Lubbers? Were they as incredible as the pictures on ComicArtFans.com are?

I know I saw one, can't remember if I saw both. Honestly, all of the artwork looked so much better in person. Some of the pieces are quite large and the detail work for the b/w work is cannot be appreciated on line. On the color pieces like the Lou Fine recreations by Murphy they have superb coloring that doesn't show up in a photo.

Edited by adamstrange

I know I saw one, can't remember if I saw both. Honestly, all of the artwork looked so much better in person. Some of the pieces are quite large and the detail work for the b/w work is cannot be appreciated on line. On the color pieces like the Lou Fine recreations by Murphy they have superb coloring that doesn't show up in a photo.

they are better in person....They were some of the first things Adam saw....then we overwelmed him

Amazing collection, Jon. Mind blowing, really. Thanks for sharing. hail.gif

...so this is where all the good stuff gets locked up 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I bet all the best stuff is locked up in a few dozen collections like Jon's, and the rest of us fight for the scraps laugh.gif Thanks again, looking at your comic art site really made my day.

cheers

Dan

...so this is where all the good stuff gets locked up 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I bet all the best stuff is locked up in a few dozen collections like Jon's, and the rest of us fight for the scraps laugh.gif Thanks again, looking at your comic art site really made my day.

cheers

Dan

Very true, but picking up so-called scraps from these big time collectors can look like jewels in our collection.

For example, picking up pedigree copies of Wonderworld #3, Cap America #3, and All-Select #1 from the dentist at very very resonable prices is still a personal highlight of my collection. cloud9.gif

cheers

Dan

I do not think it is quite like that. Luck has some to do with some purchases. On the other hand acqusition of Centaurs was done due to them being a pre-cursor to Timelys. Pre-Superman books were acquired due to historical significance.... and so on...Thirty years of collecting causes tastes to change evolve and "mature". There are alot of plums to be picked. Just because the book is not a "pedigree" does not close out the hunt. There are many books that can satisfy the collecting urge..Happy Hunting!..Jon

Well, yes and no. At 29, I'm a fair bit younger than you, so I think the chances of me finding a sweet golden age hoard at a price I can afford are pretty much slim to none. But.. I can enjoy them through your posts, and that will do! thanks again

I'm not sure where Jon is (he probably got sick of us), but Adam had mentioned in another thread that he'd be busy for awhile with work obligations, so he wouldn't be around too much.

Hey, has anyone "seen" Jon around lately?

Where you be Jon? hi.gif

....oh i am around (and "not sick of you guys").....just combination of busy at work and being glued to watchin' baseball games......by the by my plans changed and i will be in SD for a short period of time (friday and saturday)....so look for the balding guy with moustache and back pack....jb