• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do people really mean when they say "pet-free home"?

27 posts in this topic

I've always wondered about seeing "pet-free home" in a sales ad. Does that make any difference to anyone?

I do have a horror story: I met a girl who wanted to sell her dad's comics, and she worked for the local animal shelter. The smell of cat spray in her apartment was crippling. The books had been in a fire, so the bags were crispy on top of it. There was a Star Wars treasury in the batch, and one of the cats walked across it while it was laying there. It didn't cause any damage, but she didn't seem to mind either. Needless to say, I left without buying anything.

There are obviously extreme cases, but do people really think that as soon as there's an animal in the house, all of the comics are going to smell like cat pee? I'm of the opinion that if someone's dirty, it's going to stink no matter who lives there.

This is my furry overlord, Orin:

9496fca8-e6f9-4bf1-add0-ce0b1ed34585_zpss2bf3ljc.jpg

I usually close the door to the comic room to process or read so I'm not disturbed. He never sprays, and his litter box is on a different floor. He used to perch and nap on the long boxes at my old apartment when they were strewn about, but now they're shelved with no room for him.

What say you?

Pet free home means to dogs or cats or other furry things that have the run of the home.

Fish do not count to me under the category of invasive pets.

Pet free homes are also important to mention because people are allergic to dander sometimes. I just sold an old leather jacket tonight that I was going to donate but decided to offer on eBay.

One of the selling points is that it was stored in an pet free home since one potential wearer was allergic to cats. I responded to his inquiry and an hour later a different buyer wound up buying the jacket.

I too get annoyed by "pet-free" comments in sales posts.

to write that implies that people with pets leave their comic books laying around for their dog/cat to walk across them or sleep on.

Or perhaps they line the litter box with SA books.

Is my harry Sasquatch of a brother considered a pet?

Oof - reminds me of my brother-in-law - he leaves a trail of body hair everywhere. :eek:

You have my personal guarantee that the urine on my comics does NOT come from a pet. That's the FFF Promise!

It does seem like a pretty pointless distinction. I can say in all the years I've been selling comics that have been (properly) stored in the vicinity of dogs, ferrets, and/or a cat who is pretty adept at breaking into closets, I've never once gotten a pet related complaint.

It does seem like a pretty pointless distinction. I can say in all the years I've been selling comics that have been (properly) stored in the vicinity of dogs, ferrets, and/or a cat who is pretty adept at breaking into closets, I've never once gotten a pet related complaint.

Maybe the pets were not picky about what comics they use?