• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Binge Watch vs. Weekly Release: which brings greater satisfaction?
1 1

Binge or Periodic viewing?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Binge or Periodic viewing?

46 posts in this topic

I had a discussion about this at work, and ended up with people agreeing they felt wiped out after an entire season drops and they watch it all. Though that's a personal decision, since they can always stop and wait.

Why Weekly TV Viewing Is a More Satisfying Experience in the Age of Binge-Watching

The rise of the term “binge-watching” was synonymous with the rise of Netflix as a major source of television consumption for people across the globe. As the streaming service grew in popularity, it not only became a place to watch movies, but more predominantly became the destination where you could catch up on the latest buzzworthy TV show before the next season started.

And yet, while binge-watching a new series is convenient, it can be an isolating experience. As bingeing TV shows gained popularity, it became obvious that actually conversing about these shows with friends and the online community was very different from discussing shows that air traditionally on television. You couldn’t bring up a big twist in some Netflix show without first affirming that the people you’re talking to have actually watched up through that point in the series. As a result, while anticipation for Netflix shows is certainly high, actually talking about them post-release is a bit more hushed.

Conversely, HBO just debuted its highly anticipated sci-fi series Westworld not only to much anticipation and acclaim, but much conversation. Given that we’re all watching Westworld at the same pace, week-to-week, we’re able to take part in fascinating discussions about the show’s themes, plot, and harebrained theories without fear of spoiling it for someone else. You either watch Westworld or you don’t, there’s no middle ground of “Well I’ve only seen the first three episodes” or “I haven’t seen the last two episodes yet!” Not to mention FX’s incredible The People v. O.J. Simpson, which spurred important and lively conversation week after week, resulting in a more fulfilling viewing experience.

The television medium has always allowed viewers to not only experience entertainment, but also discuss it. The “watercooler moment” was so-named because in the days before DVR, a very special episode of ER would air, and the next day at school or work people were fawning over the latest twist or dramatic episode.

So which do you enjoy more?

Having attention deficit I'm lucky if I can stay focused over an entire one hour show. I tend to watch in 20-30 minute sections and then break, doing something else. I also tend to rewatch with subtitles, not just because my hearing has been shot to pieces by listening to too much metal down the years, but also because it allows me to absorb details that I missed previously and spot foreshadowing.

I'm quite happy to wait until it appears on TV, episode by episode, or work very, very slowly through a box set.

If we're talking Netflix, Amazon and similar platforms, I'd rather have the option of binge watching the entire season. I may not do it, but if a show is gripping enough, I'd much rather be able to continue watching, if time permits, than have to wait the extra week or so before the next episode.

Love to binge watch even though I rarely get to watch more then a couple episodes at a time. But that way I can keep going if I've got the time - hate to wait a whole week to know what happens

Shows that benefit from a "what's going to happen next" buzz benefit from the weekly release. Also shows that are narrative driven benefit from the weekly release because they get in the recap/review cycle for podcasts, websites and blogs.

Shows like Luke Cage didnt feel like it had much episode to episode drive, just more of an overarching momentum, so I think it worked as a binge watch.

I think Stranger Things, which everyone binge watched, would have been an even bigger hit if it had come out weekly over September and October (leading up to halloween) on AMC ro something. I think if it had started coming out at the start of the "fall"season it would have sucked all the interest and momentum away from Westworld, WWorld should consider themselves lucky.

Atlanta right now is being watched, week to week and being loved, but I think in the end it will feel better consumed in binge blocks since there is no real build up from episode to episode since there's only slight connections in week to week narrative. I binged other half hour dramadies like One Mississippi and Fleabag.

Westworld right now is working well as a week to week, plenty of time to speculate on the murky parts of the show, and it gets to benefit from the weekly review/recap cycle.

I binge watch almost everything. I wait until the end of the season with the exception of Ray Donovan which I stay current with.

Also, isn't your first and third option basically the same?

They are - but one is created by the studio with the release, and the other is created by the viewer by holding off. But both lead to proof there is a desire for this.

Depends on the show. Shows like Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead have too many spoilers to be able to binge watch. Plus big shows like that are something I look forward to watching each week.

I do like binge watching other less talked about shows though. It's nice to have the entire story fresh in your mind and it's fun to find a show to watch where you're just like "okay, one more episode tonight." and then "okay, one more." That's how I like to read my comics too.

Depends on the show. Shows like Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead have too many spoilers to be able to binge watch. Plus big shows like that are something I look forward to watching each week.

I do like binge watching other less talked about shows though. It's nice to have the entire story fresh in your mind and it's fun to find a show to watch where you're just like "okay, one more episode tonight." and then "okay, one more." That's how I like to read my comics too.

Good points. As I find there are some shows (Daredevil especially) I did not want to stop watching, and reach that point where he and Kingpin finally fought.

weekly on my shows, binge on shows shared w/ wife.

binge watcher here. I only watch sequentially if it is a new season and I don't want to wait for the entire season to be released (AHS 6 for example)... but given the preference, binge it all in one or two sittings. I think the main reason is the desire not to wait to see arcs resolved. Same goes for comics, if there is an omnibus or collected edition, I prefer that. Who enjoys waiting for a cliffhanger to be resolved?

binge watcher here. I only watch sequentially if it is a new season and I don't want to wait for the entire season to be released (AHS 6 for example)... but given the preference, binge it all in one or two sittings. I think the main reason is the desire not to wait to see arcs resolved. Same goes for comics, if there is an omnibus or collected edition, I prefer that. Who enjoys waiting for a cliffhanger to be resolved?

Interesting. I didn't consider the binge skipper, jumping to the more tasty episodes.

Binge. I do the same with comics and stack issues up until a multi-issue arc is done. I rarely "binge" as in watching an entire series in a day or two, but I want the option of watching as many as I can on any particular setting. Remembering plot over the course of a week is too difficult, and for some shows it's virtually impossible. The extreme example of this for me is the show "24" with Kiefer Sutherland--every episode was a cliffhanger. The immediacy of those cliffhanger endings has worn off completely after a week, so I far prefer to watch several episodes of that show at a time and can't imagine doing it any other way.

The main reason the other premium networks release week by week is that it keeps people paying their monthly fees longer when they're on the line about whether or not to keep subscribing. I'm surprised Netflix went to this model given the advantages to that in their favor and would like to hear a statement from them as to whey they went that way as opposed to weekly release.

Agreed - I like the option of binging, but even then have to ration myself.

Daredevil - I took in about 2 episodes at a time, rationing it out a long week.

Homeland, however, would kill my weekend.

I don't have Showtime, so I'd buy the DVDs by the season -- I never lasted more than 3 days to finish it. To the extent that I'd actually hold off on buying another season until I was sure I could waste 2-3 days in a row on it.

I don't watch a lot of television during the week and rarely get it away from the kids when I'm home, but when I do I tend to watch an entire season of something at once. I just watched all of season 2 of the Flash yesterday on Netflix because the wife and kids were out of town.

It depends on the show for me.

Typically lighter shows like Orange Is The New Black or Frankie And Johnny I can tear through in about a day or 2 because they don't require much thought. Shows that take more concentration like Daredevil and Jessica Jones I try to pace myself a bit so I don't miss smaller details.

I always prefer the choice though to binge or not. I can't stay interested in a show on a typical TV format anymore.

Binge. I do the same with comics and stack issues up until a multi-issue arc is done. I rarely "binge" as in watching an entire series in a day or two, but I want the option of watching as many as I can on any particular setting. Remembering plot over the course of a week is too difficult, and for some shows it's virtually impossible. The extreme example of this for me is the show "24" with Kiefer Sutherland--every episode was a cliffhanger. The immediacy of those cliffhanger endings has worn off completely after a week, so I far prefer to watch several episodes of that show at a time and can't imagine doing it any other way.

The main reason the other premium networks release week by week is that it keeps people paying their monthly fees longer when they're on the line about whether or not to keep subscribing. I'm surprised Netflix went to this model given the advantages to that in their favor and would like to hear a statement from them as to whey they went that way as opposed to weekly release.

24 was the first show I ever binge watched :cloud9: ....... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

24 was the first show I ever binge watched :cloud9: ....... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

+ 5 I watched seasons 3-6 in like 2 weeks when I got a new roommate and he had all the dvd's.

I don't have Showtime, so I'd buy the DVDs by the season -- I never lasted more than 3 days to finish it. To the extent that I'd actually hold off on buying another season until I was sure I could waste 2-3 days in a row on it.

I prefer to binge watch also. I just went through all 5 Seasons of Homeland. I couldn't stop watching & really didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did. Poor Quinn. :( They have him credited for another Season, so I'm anxious to see what happens next. Was disappointed that Season 6 has skipped over to 2017. :cry:

I prefer to binge watch also. I just went through all 5 Seasons of Homeland. I couldn't stop watching & really didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did. Poor Quinn. :( They have him credited for another Season, so I'm anxious to see what happens next. Was disappointed that Season 6 has skipped over to 2017. :cry:

So...I haven't actually watched Season 5 yet. But - wasn't really a spoiler since we have indeed seen that he returns for Season 6.

And, if y'all haven't yet seen it, Homeland Seasons 1-4 are now streaming via Hulu.