• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Binge Watch vs. Weekly Release: which brings greater satisfaction?
1 1

Binge or Periodic viewing?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Binge or Periodic viewing?

46 posts in this topic

I don't necessarily have to binge, but I do like to be able to finish a season at my own pace if I find the show compelling and I have the time. I'm not good at watching week-to-week, though I have done so with the last three Star Wars series/seasons (after bingeing The Mandalorian season one). 

Due to the influx of content that is immediately within reach from streaming services, there have been a lot of conversations about how Netflix can change and adapt to stay ahead of the game. 2022 has been quite informative in that regard. Netflix previously confirmed plans for a lower-priced plan supported by ads that will come in 2023. The service has also become a lot harsher with its cancelations, especially for negatively reviewed originals like Cowboy Beebop and Resident Evil. The latter and the growing importance Netflix places on viewership in the first week and month of a show's release have reignited conversations about if the binge release model is still best.

It now appears that Netflix could be on the verge of making a big change. In a new edition of the Puck News newsletter, it is suggested that Netflix wants to move away from binge model releases in some form. Netflix currently uses weekly episode drops for some reality competition shows, but there might soon be a time when it becomes used for Netflix's biggest originals as a means of keeping viewers engaged over a longer period of time. Matthew Belloni noted in the newsletter that Netflix CEO Reed Hastings "has seemed unwilling to pivot off the binge model because he hasn’t needed or wanted to. Now, it appears, he does."

I'm sure there's data to back up the answer but personally if a weekly, I'll watch the first one or two and if interested, continue on a weekly basis or else will wait a few weeks until all are out and then watch them at my leisure. Probably won't affect me too much. 

I can’t binge with my work schedule - it’s really nice some shows make everyone wait a week. It’s fun talking with people about the new episodes again like the olden days, as opposed to trying to remember the discussion after you or other people catch up to the whole season.