• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SHERLOCK HOLMES 3 starring Robert Downey Jr (2018)
1 1

33 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

First one was a classic, but by the time 2 came out he became the Sherlock for this generation.

image.jpeg.4297796d97231e4d3de12dd62e4f88ab.jpeg

so A game of Shadows got compared to Sherlock making it seem worse than what it was.

+1

Though I really enjoyed the movies and am most definitely going to see the third.

‘Sherlock Holmes 3’ Director Says Sequel Is “On the Back Burner”

Some disappointing but not wholly unexpected news for Sherlock Holmes fans - Sherlock Holmes 3 director Dexter Fletcher has confirmed that the sequel is currently “on the back burner."

As reported by DigitalSpy, Fletcher recently remarked on an episode of the Celebrity Catch Up Podcast that the long-awaited follow-up to 2011’s Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows was facing a number of challenges due to the coronavirus pandemic. "Sherlock's hit its own issues on and off," Fletcher said. "That’s sort of sitting on the back burner at the moment until it becomes clear where the world is at and what's going to happen."

The director went on to say that his other in-development project, a film reboot of Roger Moore’s spy thriller series The Saint previously adapted into a 1997 film starring Val Kilmer, is facing identical problems to Sherlock Holmes 3. "They're both up against the same dilemma, the same issue that we all [have]: How do you get large groups of people together to create something and then shift them all around the world? And what do you do with actors that are in a love scene? It's complicated.”

Obviously the big takeaway from Fletcher’s quotes (other than the revelation that people will be boning in either The Saint or Sherlock 3 or possibly both) is that the pandemic is continuing to hold most productions in limbo. This is doubly a shame, because I am a fan of both the Sherlock Holmes series and of Fletcher as a filmmaker. Fletcher directed the excellent 2019 Elton John biopic Rocketman before taking over the popular Sherlock franchise starring Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law from Guy Ritchie. (Ritchie fans will probably recognize Fletcher as the fastidious Soap from Ritchie’s breakout film Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels.)

Sherlock Holmes 3 Release Date: What We Can Expect?

Warner Bros had confirmed that a third part of the Sherlock Holmes movie series would be released by December 2020. However, those plans got postponed to 2021. Hence, the release date for Sherlock Holmes 3 is set as 22 December 2021 but is uncertain because of the global pandemic situation. The filming has already started, and hence it’s highly likely we will get our best detective movie by the end of this year.

Even though the plot of the movie is still a mystery, we can expect that the movie Sherlock Holmes 3 will go on to another step in exploring different adventures and looking carefully at various pieces of evidence. The movie will be directed by Dexter Fletcher, who is a well-known actor and director. He’s directed movies like Wild Bill, released in 2011, and Bohemian Rhapsody, released in 2018.

He won the Zlín International Film Festival for Children and Youth in the Best European Debut Film category for directing Wild Bill. The previous movies of Sherlock Holmes received nominations by Oscars in the Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Best achievement in art direction. The movies also received nominations for Best Director, Best Music, Best Production Design, Critics Choice Award. Now all you need to do is sharpen your detective skills for Sherlock Holmes 3.

With the announcement of the two spinoff shows, many fans are undoubtedly curious about what these projects signal about the progress of Sherlock Holmes 3. In their same report announcing the Sherlock Holmes HBO Max shows, THR provides a brief update on the threequel, revealing that, essentially, the project is still on hold. The report simply claims that "a third movie in the franchise was in development but never moved beyond that stage."

In an interview with Collider, Fletcher said that he was hopeful Sherlock Holmes 3 would still be made. The director admitted that while he has no firm timelines or updates on the film's status, he is aware that audiences are eager for it. Fletcher chalks the production up to a matter of "all the right people being at the right place, at the right time," and hopes that time is still to come. See Fletcher's full comment below:

"The pandemic derailed it. I do think it will get made. I think it has to be made. I don’t know what the timeline of that is, unfortunately, but I believe it should be. It’s fantastic. I think it’s about all the right people being at the right place, at the right time. I think it’s that. It’s one of those cruel twists of fate, where the pandemic hit and that scattered people around the world to the wind. But I know that the appetite is huge for it, and I’m sure there are other people acutely aware of that as well. But I believe it should be because it’s brilliant. I very much hope so."