• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For GA collectors. How much restoration is too much?

If you buy GA books, what is the highest level of restoration you would accept on a book for your personal collection?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. If you buy GA books, what is the highest level of restoration you would accept on a book for your personal collection?

35 posts in this topic

I have heard many people say they don't buy restored books and others seem to think a certain level of restoration is ok. To many, it seems that restored books may be the only way they can afford some of the "big boys" they are looking for. So, I thought I would ask the question as to what is the most restoration you would accept on a book for your personal collection. I know this is not a perfect poll as it is hard to judge which is a higher level of restoration between say "expert moderate" as opposed to "amateur slight". Maybe how professional it is matters. Also, some other things (like trimming) are sometimes a deal breaker even if simple restoration is not.

This question is specifically for GA collectors as I believe they have a far greater chance of running into restored books.

This quesiton is specifically for books in your own personal collection. It is not saying what kind of book you would buy if you only intended to flip it anyway.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Moderate restoration, but on an Action 1 I would take the crumbled up pieces of dust particles. lol

I hear you on that, Dave.

When it comes to an AC1, I would take whatever I could get my hands on as well.

BTW, great new avatar you have there.

I'll take SP and MP only. No amateur resto.

You have some beautifully restored books there, Peter. Although I don't make a habit of buying restoed, I wouldn't turn down any of those in your sig line.. (thumbs u

You have some beautifully restored books there, Peter. Although I don't make a habit of buying restoed, I wouldn't turn down any of those in your sig line.. (thumbs u

I'm actually working towards upgrading all of them to universal. ;) It'll take time and a whole lot of spending money.

I'm actually working towards upgrading all of them to universal. ;) It'll take time and a whole lot of spending money.

Especially if you are trying to keep the same grade.

I've never been a fan of restoration. I have only purchased one in 2004 on ebay, with UNRESTORED in the description.

I understand where you are coming from, Mike, and I appreciate you taking the time to vote. i think I have only knowingly purchased 3 restored books and they were all duplicates of books i already own unrestored copies of. For example, i recently purchased an Action in restored CGC 9.2 (highest restored copy), even though i already own the CGC 9.0 (single highest universal copy). Since, I already have an unrestored copy, it did not bother me to buy the restored. This is probably not logical, but a collector's rational is not always logical.

Mike,I will say that given the scope of the Action collection you once had, it is impressive that you stayed away from restored so well. (thumbs u

Mike,

Thank you for the kind words regarding the sig line.

That means a lot to me, coming from a board legend like yourself.

Also thank you for your well wishes that I one day find an AC1.

I hope it happens, however, I have come to accept the fact that it may not be in the cards for me.

When it comes to the AC1, I would not hesitate at all, due to restoration. Just to have any copy would be awesome.

I voted moderate amateur. I don't mind restoration and have had books in my collection professionally restored. The other type of restored book I won't buy is when a large part of the cover has been replaced.

I voted moderate amateur. I don't mind restoration and have had books in my collection professionally restored. The other type of restored book I won't buy is when a large part of the cover has been replaced.

Thank you for taking the time to vote.

I think when large pieces of the cover are replaced, that these really should be labeled as something like "incomplete with large piece reproduced" or some such language.

I don't overly care myself about the level of restoration, just more so the type.

I prefer no trimming and no interior lightnening.

I care more about PQ then restoration on these golden age books. I'd rather have a restored book than a blue label brittle book myself. Unless I know the details of how brittle the book truly is (if its just a corner or whatever).

I don't overly care myself about the level of restoration, just more so the type.

I prefer no trimming and no interior lightnening.

I care more about PQ then restoration on these golden age books. I'd rather have a restored book than a blue label brittle book myself. Unless I know the details of how brittle the book truly is (if its just a corner or whatever).

Thank you for your response.

This brings up an interesting question. I am not a big buyer of restored books, so please help me to understand.

You say that you prefer "no trimming", however, you are ok with other restoration. Are you then ok with pieces being added? If so, how big a piece?

To me, I think I would rather have a book that had been trimmed, BUT is all original, rather THAN a full size book where pieces have been added. To me, at least the trimmed book is original. Maybe I am way off base here, as you are NOT the first person I have heard say that trimming is a deal breaker.