• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Secret Wars #1 - Blue Galactus Variant?
1 1

41 posts in this topic

I'm selling two copies on ebay where I speculate about why I think these are erroneously called 'blue G variants.'

I think CBCS is wrong (which claims it's a variant on its labels and in the new Overstreet ed.) because the only copies I've seen have galactus colored in blue on that page.

I will think all copies are blue galactus variant issues until I see a copy with a regular-colored galactus.

It's not a variant or error. The colours on those pages are intentionally distorted due to the brilliant light emanating from the Beyonder.

Not sure I agree with this as obviously there are other copies with a different color. I'm not saying that this classifies as a "variant", probably more of a printing error but I don't recall seeing a blue Galactus? Keep in mind that I have read this issue since it was first released.

It's not a variant or error. The colours on those pages are intentionally distorted due to the brilliant light emanating from the Beyonder.

Not sure I agree with this as obviously there are other copies with a different color. I'm not saying that this classifies as a "variant", probably more of a printing error but I don't recall seeing a blue Galactus? Keep in mind that I have read this issue since it was first released.

Bold mine.

I haven't seen a copy with a different color.

Do you say it exists because CBCS are pros and shouldn't get such a thing wrong?

I agree it's an error and not the intended art coloring, but I began to suspect they are all colored that way with blue G.

Just checked my inventory, I have two copies. One newsstand the other direct edition, both are blue like the pictured copied above.

Every copy I've seen, direct or newsstand are also the same.

I actually have a bit of history here.

I am at work so can't dig up the comic I read it in but at the time No Prizes were big at Marvel.

A reader wrote in about this trying to claim a no prize and the official marvel explanation was what another boardie mentioned. The color appearance was caused by the effect of Galactus transitioning through the shield of the Beyonder into space.

So, every issue of that comic that came out at that time had blue galactus.

A little late to the party, but this only recently came to my attention. Here's a shot of my copy. I heard it was first and second prints, but still no confirmation on which is rarest. Also, the cover of the first print has the classic Spidey head in the barcode box and the 2nd has the black suit Spidey head in the barcode box.

20171117_223055.png

Based on the earlier art posted and the latest post with Galactus looking the way he usually does, it seems to me that the yellow plate was run for both yellow and for magenta in the original run. Look at the yellow glow on the latter picture; it's orange/red in the original. (It's also the only obvious bit of yellow in the latter image.) This is an error, but likely one that affected the entire run and not caught at publication time.