• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HBO Max's YOUNG JUSTICE series (2021)
2 2

99 posts in this topic

Episode 1: Inhospitable

9/10: Great start to the season

Episode 2: Needful

8.5/10: the plot thickens and the mystery deepens

Episode 3: Volatile

9.5/10: 2 stories, 1 episode, both excellent

Final Thoughts
We’re only three episodes in, and I can’t wait to see where this season is going. The animation quality has improved thanks in no small part to that HBO budget, and everything looks so much cleaner for it. Backgrounds look fantastic and immersive, characters are smooth, and action is well paced. The voice acting continues to be stellar too. Danica McKellar’s M’gann is really given a chance to shine this year. Greg Cipes’ Beast Boy has really matured while still being the fun and compassionate character we’ve known and loved since Teen Titans. Nolan North is crushing it as Conner this year too. He’s really hitting his stride with how this character has grown up and isn’t the hothead he was in his youth.

If I had any complaints so far I would have to say I’m missing some of my favorite characters. I want to see what the Outsiders are up to on Earth. I want to see Nightwing and the Team. There are so many characters that made this show great up to this point, and I just hope they all get a chance to shine.

So far the fourth season of Young Justice has been a thought-provoking and heartfelt exploration of a small set of its most beloved characters. If you want to catch up on the previous episode you can check out my recap/review. Our latest episode, S4E05 “Tale of Two Sisters,” brings us a few faces we haven’t had a chance to see yet this year. It also weaves a personal story of family connection effectively into a metaphor for the grieving process. While not the best episode of the season, it still manages to be just as emotionally resonant. I loved getting to see a few more of my favorite characters, and the underlying plot of the episode was extremely well done.

The Final Word

7.5/10: A unique look at grieving, parenting, and exposition
This episode had a lot to live up to after “Involuntary,” so I’m not surprised that I didn’t enjoy it quite as much. However, it was still a treat to see some of the characters I’ve been missing and to see them explored in a particularly mature light. Artemis dealing with the loss of another friend and how that dredged up old feelings of Wally was intensely powerful. I could feel and understand every bit of what she was feeling. Jade and Talia’s debate over who is the better mother was another of the episode’s shining moments.

Where this episode lagged was having to incorporate the Onyx and Cassandra storyline. If they’d been able to trim that out and focus solely on Artemis and Jade’s relationships then this would’ve been another near-perfect episode. It wasn’t that their characters were bad or uninteresting. The writers just didn’t have the time to present that idea while also still working on the much more interesting emotional stories.

On 12/23/2021 at 6:56 PM, bpc3qh said:

I absolutely adore this show. Season 1 is by far my favorite (and one of the best seasons of superhero television ever, I think), but everything after it has also been fantastic. I recommend it at every chance I get.

Doctor Fate's origin, along with more of Vandal Savage, have been fantastic. :banana:

On 12/24/2021 at 3:29 PM, JasonTodd69 said:

Hows s4? I'm planning to start s4..

Very solid. I like the focus on the original members of the Team, and the storytelling choices have also been really good within the season itself.

On 12/24/2021 at 3:29 PM, JasonTodd69 said:

Which season was your favourite? S1 for me. 

Definitely Season 1, which as I said above is one of the best seasons of superhero television ever.

On 12/25/2021 at 6:44 AM, bpc3qh said:

Very solid. I like the focus on the original members of the Team, and the storytelling choices have also been really good within the season itself.

Definitely Season 1, which as I said above is one of the best seasons of superhero television ever.

DC has always aced in the animated universe. 

On 12/30/2021 at 11:37 AM, bpc3qh said:

Very strong mid-season finale. Both twists were things I sort of saw coming, but not exactly how I saw them. Hope we get a Season 5 announcement sooner rather than later, and that the second half of Season 4 also comes sooner rather than later.

Did you stick around for the post-credits scene?