• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jeff Smith's BONE from Warner Bros. Animation (2020?)
1 1

16 posts in this topic

‘Bone’ Movie Lands ‘Kung Fu Panda’ Director Mark Osborne

bone-comic-cover-431x600.jpg

A feature film adaptation of the cult comic Bone has been in the works for a very long time. Like, since 2008. But now the project has gained momentum in landing a new director: Mark Osborne. THR reports that Osborne, fresh off of directing The Little Prince, has come aboard to helm Warner Bros. animated adaptation of the Jeff Smith comic. Osborne will write the -script alongside Adam Kline, and the goal is to craft the first installment in what is planned as a trilogy of animated films. Dan Lin’s Lin Pictures is producing alongside Animal Logic’s Zareh Nalbandian.

The story of Bone revolves around three cousins who are banned from their homeland of Boneville, only to find themselves mysteriously trapped in a wonderful/terrifying land where they come across a bevy of creatures. The comic has serious visual potential, hence the effort to turn it into a film, and Osborne’s hiring marks a major move forward for a film that was seemingly stuck in development hell.

Muriel’s Wedding helmer P.J. Hogan was previously attached to direct the film, but Osborne marks a promising hire. He cut his teeth on the Nickelodeon series KaBlam! before co-directing 2008’s Kung Fu Panda and serving as a director on SpongeBob SquarePants. The Little Prince was a labor of love that was left without a distributor until Netflix swooped in and secured distribution rights. Fresh off swell critical reception, it’s currently in the running for the Best Animated Feature Oscar.

Animated films take quite a while to produce, so it may yet be some time before Bone actually comes to fruition, but this is definitely a promising development.

Man this has been on a lonngggggg road to production.

In 2019, Netflix optioned the rights to Jeff Smith's beloved fantasy comic Bone. Two years have passed and, as the series celebrates its 30th anniversary, fans are eager for an update on the Bone cousins' Netflix adventure. Polygon spoke to Smith and asked him what's up with the show. He talked about the talent acquired to work on the series. “There were a couple of people that worked on some shows that I [asked about],” Smith says, “because I watched a bunch of Cartoon Network shows and some Netflix shows. Is this person around? Can we get this person? What’s this guy doing now? Or what’s she doing? And thanks to the pandemic, I was able to get everybody I wanted."

He also notes how the pandemic affected the production's timeline but allowed them to get some of those previously occupied talents onto the show. “I say thanks because there were people that were in contract, but we were delayed by like, eight or nine months because of the pandemic; [by that time] the contracts were up, and I got everybody I wanted," he says. "I don’t want to really say who they are, because I don’t want to steal Netflix’s thunder but, yes. I got my dream team of animation people, and I’m pretty excited about it so far.”

Bone follows the cousins Bone, Fone Bone, and Phoney Bone after being cast out of Boneville and into a wider world of magic and adventure. Smith is overseeing the adaptation himself. The Bone comic began publication in 1991 and ran for 55 issues, reaching its conclusion in 2004. The series won 10 Eisner Awards and 11 Harvey Awards.

This has so much damn potential as a series. Maybe an hour long with ten episodes a season. Could last five years easy in that format. I really believe that this should go to the underdog streamer now. AppleTV+. They are starting to get serious in animation for series and films. They acquired the rights to Peanuts and are making new shows and their film Wolfwalkers was nominated for Best Animated Feature at the Academy. I really think that would be the perfect fit for this project. Even if you don’t want AppleTV its five bucks a month. 

On 4/23/2022 at 4:07 AM, ▫️ said:

This has so much damn potential as a series. Maybe an hour long with ten episodes a season. Could last five years easy in that format. I really believe that this should go to the underdog streamer now. AppleTV+. They are starting to get serious in animation for series and films. They acquired the rights to Peanuts and are making new shows and their film Wolfwalkers was nominated for Best Animated Feature at the Academy. I really think that would be the perfect fit for this project. Even if you don’t want AppleTV its five bucks a month. 

So looking forward to it.

With this news...

Netflix kills the Bone show as its Original Animation department pretty much falls apart

Amidst the chaos, The Wrap released a quieter report this afternoon, one focused on the company’s once vaunted Original Animation department—reporting, among other things, that Phil Rynda, Netflix Director of Creative Leadership and Development for Original Animation, had been let go from the company this week, and that several high-profile animated projects, most notably the much-anticipated animated adaptation of Jeff Smith’s beloved comic series Bone, were dead at the service.

The Bone show is a blow, for sure; fans have been waiting for Smith’s all-ages adventure comic, seemingly a natural fit for animation, to get a worthy adaptation for years. But the report, written by Drew Taylor, also delves into Netflix’s overall treatment of animation creatives, who were once lured to the company with promises of creative freedom, and are now frequently tossed stacks of data to justify the company’s limited advertising for, and support of, its animated shows.

I think this does open the door to shop it around. To include to the new Warner Bros. Discovery with the animation ability to pull this off.