• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frank Herbert's DUNE from Legendary Pictures (TBD)
6 6

797 posts in this topic

Dune Reboot In The Works At Legendary

K4uLEoh.png

Legendary Entertainment has acquired the rights Dune, the classic science fiction novel written by Frank Herbert. The deal sees the Herbert estate handing over production rights to Legendary for both film and television adaptation of Dune for global audiences.

The Dune reboot will be produced by Thomas Tull, Mary Parent, and Cale Boyter, with Brian Herbert, Byron Merritt, and Kim Herbert on board as executive producers.

Herbert's original Dune novel won both the Hugo Award and the Nebula Award for best novel. He wrote five additional Dune novels. Since Herbert’s death, his son Brian and author Kevin J. Anderson have continued the series, and there are now more than 20 Dune novels, plus additional tie-in books and short stories. The latest Dune novel, Navigators of Dune, was released in 2016.

BLADE RUNNER 2049 Director Denis Villeneuve Is In Early Talks To Helm Legendary's DUNE Reboot

147651.jpg

Last month we reported that Legendary had acquired the film and TV rights to Frank Herbert's Dune, and now Variety has revealed that none other than Denis Villeneuve (Blade Runner 2049, Arrival, Sicario) is in negotiations with the studio to direct a big-screen adaptation of the seminal sci-fi novel.

When news first broke that we'd be getting another movie, Villeneuve's name was brought up more than a few times as the perfect choice to helm the project, so this must be music to many fans' ears.

There have been several different adaptions of Dune over the years, the most famous (or infamous depending on your perspective) is David Lynch's ambitious but flawed 1984 movie starring Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s Kyle MacLachlan.

I was going to mention the SYFY miniseries the other day. A much better production!

I have the three-disc special edition, which is the director's cut. Well worth the money compared to the original movie. Though there is always the Dune Redub.

lol

(:

I was going to mention the SYFY miniseries the other day. A much better production!

I have the three-disc special edition, which is the director's cut. Well worth the money compared to the original movie. Though there is always the Dune Redub.

lol

(:

lol

I thought the original was amazing and the series was great too. I'm scared about this next venture.... :eek:

Agreed. I liked them both as well. The movie more as a Lynch art house venture and the mini series for doing much greater justice to the novel/s. I thought Dune Messiah/Children of Dune was well done also - my favorite really with McAvoy as Leto. I was really hoping they would continue with God Emperor but to be fair, it's had to imagine that book as a movie at all. Heretics and Chapterhouse I think could be incredible given a chance.

The Brian Herbert/Kevin J. Anderson books are I think on the opposite end of the literary scale when compared to Frank Herbert's work. They are much lighter in depth and tone and read pretty much as screen plays. Nonetheless, I have to admit I have found some of these a lot of fun and could see The Butlerian Jihad, The Machine Crusade and The Battle of Corrin as an excellent movie or three.

I don't know if I'm scarred of this next venture but I'm happy the property is getting some attention and I have to agree with the other post that one movie is not enough to do the novel justice. Here's hoping for the best :wishluck:

CONFIRMED: ARRIVAL Director Denis Villeneuve Will Helm The DUNE Reboot For Legendary Pictures

SHMCxPh.jpg

It was recently reported that Denis Villeneuve (Arrival, Blade Runner 2049) was in early talks to direct Legendary's Dune reboot, and now it looks like the deal has been finalized.

Denis Villeneuve Is Planning At Least Two ‘Dune’ Films, If Not More: ‘It Will Probably Take Two Years to Make’

screen-shot-2018-03-09-at-11-35-16-am.pn

With “Blade Runner 2049” behind him, Denis Villeneuve is gearing up for “Dune” and he isn’t hiding the fact he has some big plans in store for his adaptation of Frank Herbert’s 1965 novel. The director appeared at the Rendez-Vous du Cinema Quebecois this week (via The Playlist) where he revealed to the audience that “Dune” is going to be more than just a one-off tentpole.

“’Dune’ will probably take two years to make,” Villeneuve said. “The goal is to make two films, maybe more.”

The director has referred to “Dune” as the movie he’s been wanting to make since he was a child. He previously warned that his take would greatly differ from Lynch’s version.

“David Lynch did an adaptation in the ’80s that has some very strong qualities. I mean, David Lynch is one of the best filmmakers alive, I have massive respect for him,” Villeneuve said in November 2016. “But when I saw his adaptation, I was impressed, but it was not what I had dreamed of, so I’m trying to make the adaptation of my dreams. It will not have any link with the David Lynch movie. I’m going back to the book, and going to the images that came out when I read it.”