• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frank Herbert's DUNE from Legendary Pictures (TBD)
6 6

797 posts in this topic

On 11/2/2021 at 8:01 AM, fantastic_four said:

Interesting.  That contradicts what I had heard about the navigators using it to look forward in time to determine where objects in the path of a starship would be, but it's more in line with how warp or hyperspace works in other fictional works and it's what I was assuming when I first heard it enabled interstellar travel.

Did they say in the film how it works and I missed it?  The film seems to use the books as canon, so just clarifying how the spice works in the books probably explains the film as well.

no it was only mentioned briefly-might come up in the second part. 

On 11/2/2021 at 8:16 AM, Number 6 said:

The Guild using spice-induced prescience to find the safest way to travel in hyperspace is the explanation in the book and believe that’s how it’s explained in this new movie. 

“Folding space” was the explanation given in the 1984 David Lynch version and I believe that’s one of it’s many deviations from the book.  (Just re-read the book last month and don’t recall any references from to “folding space”)

hmm been a long time-guess I crossed the two :) sorry about the confusion

On 11/3/2021 at 3:02 PM, Bosco685 said:

WW_BO211103b.thumb.PNG.b1d747407673b0e286f9626176eefc68.PNG

Dune breaks $300M worldwide.

Should have been a lot more.  I chose to watch this one at home, since I had the option to do so.

On 11/3/2021 at 5:04 PM, piper said:

Should have been a lot more.  I chose to watch this one at home, since I had the option to do so.

To say that when there was also easy access to HBO Max it's hard to say it should have been much larger.

But, how many enjoyed it so much on HBO Max now they are going to IMAX to experience it on a much larger screen? A few members here have actually made that statement. So we'll see if that adds additional revenue that is significant.

It angers me this movie is doing so well.  That means there will never be a dune movie faithful to the book. ever.

Saw it yesterday, as the first movie seen in a public theatre since the world went to hell (went to an afternoon showing and it only had a total of five people in it, two of which were my guests).

Very good adaptation and an amazing sensory experience, but it's very hard for me to form any serious criticism of items yet because I feel the issues I have with it were made in order for it to best be approached by those fresh to the franchise.

I will have to see it again to be sure of things; such as I felt scenes moved too quickly in the first act, and many shots would have benefited from holding longer and even slowing down the dialogue (which I felt was mixed poorly at times). On the flip side, some general concepts felt minimized and not given the weight needed to convey their grand importance in the universe - such as how much the universe is reliant on spice, and just how intense the reverence for body water by the Fremen is), but like I said, possibly negligible complaints that were justified for a general audience.

On 11/4/2021 at 6:16 AM, Sauce Dog said:

Saw it yesterday, as the first movie seen in a public theatre since the world went to hell (went to an afternoon showing and it only had a total of five people in it, two of which were my guests).

Very good adaptation and an amazing sensory experience, but it's very hard for me to form any serious criticism of items yet because I feel the issues I have with it were made in order for it to best be approached by those fresh to the franchise.

I will have to see it again to be sure of things; such as I felt scenes moved too quickly in the first act, and many shots would have benefited from holding longer and even slowing down the dialogue (which I felt was mixed poorly at times). On the flip side, some general concepts felt minimized and not given the weight needed to convey their grand importance in the universe - such as how much the universe is reliant on spice, and just how intense the reverence for body water by the Fremen is), but like I said, possibly negligible complaints that were justified for a general audience.

I thought a lot of the same things on my initial viewing. I would add that in trying to make my evaluation of the film I kept thinking “…but maybe it will be in the second film”

While my overall estimation of the film is very positive, it does feel like it’s hard to make a final determination without seeing both films.  If this somehow ended up being a stand-alone film I’m not sure how I would feel about this one by itself.

On 11/4/2021 at 3:02 PM, Number 6 said:

I thought a lot of the same things on my initial viewing. I would add that in trying to make my evaluation of the film I kept thinking “…but maybe it will be in the second film”

While my overall estimation of the film is very positive, it does feel like it’s hard to make a final determination without seeing both films.  If this somehow ended up being a stand-alone film I’m not sure how I would feel about this one by itself.

It did feel I just finished binging the first 3 or 4 episodes of a series and as if I could start on the next batch right away. Can't wait to watch both back-to-back one day. This is for sure something that needs to be watched all at once for the full experience.

Though i'm not sure any of my issues with it will resolve if they touch on them in the second, as most are core elements which are better early on as they underscore just how important all character decisions are (spice just seems like just another oil or gold, no real stress on how much the entire galaxy hinges on it and the extent of fighting over it / control - just as water is to the Fremen mirrors that importance). Another thing I missed, but understand why it was cut, was the intrigue over finding out the spy, including accusing Jessica as a distraction, and just how impressive it was to get Yueh as a spy with his imperial conditioning (Which made the Baron more impressive to have done so).

On 11/4/2021 at 3:20 PM, Sauce Dog said:

spice just seems like just another oil or gold, no real stress on how much the entire galaxy hinges on it and the extent of fighting over it / control - just as water is to the Fremen mirrors that importance

As much as I appreciated the new film over anything the 1984 film delivered, that intro to get the general audience up to speed is quite helpful.