• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frank Herbert's DUNE from Legendary Pictures (TBD)
6 6

797 posts in this topic

There’s been something notable about ticket sales for “Dune,” and not only because the sci-fi adaptation of Frank Herbert’s landmark novel has managed to draw crowds in theaters despite playing simultaneously on HBO Max.

In its first weekend of release, half of domestic box office revenues for the Warner Bros. film came from Imax, Dolby and other high-end screens, known in the film business by the unwieldy moniker of premium large formats (PLF). For the average visual-effects heavy tentpole, 30% of ticket sales coming from these venues would have been noteworthy. Overall, “Dune” has made $75 million in North America — and more than $17 million has come from premium formats.

“The 50% is a ridiculous number,” Jeff Bock, a box office analyst with Exhibitor Relations, says in reference to opening weekend sales. “Imax was a huge selling point for ‘Dune’… you had to see it on the big screen for the spectacle.”

On 11/4/2021 at 3:20 PM, Sauce Dog said:

It did feel I just finished binging the first 3 or 4 episodes of a series and as if I could start on the next batch right away. Can't wait to watch both back-to-back one day. This is for sure something that needs to be watched all at once for the full experience.

I'm the last person in America who has not read Dune, but even I can see this to be true. I would have preferred to pay a higher admission and sat there longer for both parts at once.... in a perfect World I suppose. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

On 11/5/2021 at 12:54 PM, jimjum12 said:

I'm the last person in America who has not read Dune, but even I can see this to be true. I would have preferred to pay a higher admission and sat there longer for both parts at once.... in a perfect World I suppose. GOD BLESS....

It's great to hear about those who have not read the book getting into the new movie (and wanting more). Speaks volumes about how well they translated it for film and still remaining accessible.

On 11/5/2021 at 1:10 PM, Sauce Dog said:

It's great to hear about those who have not read the book getting into the new movie (and wanting more). Speaks volumes about how well they translated it for film and still remaining accessible.

I don't think a theater experience has ever flown by so quickly. I thought I was at maybe an hour when it ended ... I went for Judy and Richard, who both love the books, and expected to merely endure it based on the first attempt decades ago (which was serviceable but not noteworthy ?). I'm glad I went. It was ALMOST as good as John Carter :baiting: GOD BLESS.... 

On 11/6/2021 at 8:04 PM, paperheart said:

Dune, which opened to $41MM, will cross $100MM US; Halloween Kills, which opened to $49MM+, will not.

I was disappointed with Halloween Kills. Weak story and acting. Some great kills though. That was another one of those streaming same day as theaters. I saw it on Peacock+. Now an uncut extended version is available for preorder on all the usual sites.

Saw it yesterday with a friend who is a fellow Dune fan (we're both big fans of the novels and the 1984 film). He nodded off at one point. Though there were some stunning glimpses of Arrakis the film seemed big on scenery and small on story, almost as if the writer and/or director assumed everyone seeing the film already knows the mythology of Dune. I wish we'd seen more of Col. Kurtz aka Baron Harkonnen. And there were some big gaps in the story that I am assuming will be in the sequel, if there is one. It wasn't a bad movie - I would give it a 7 out of 10. Glad I didn't take the wife as she would have been totally baffled. Friend thought the 1984 film was better. Neither of us were left chomping at the bit for part two.

Just started Dune-I'm liking it.  Very pleasantly surprised.  will report back later.  I hope to be fully wrong about what i thought of this movie.  30 minutes in and nothing stupid a very good sign.  Acting is superb.  They dont hit you over the head with stuff like the lynch atrocity.  @Bosco685

I can see how non Dune book fans could find this movie a bit slow and even boring but for me it hits the nail on the head.  Well done.  I was wrong.

Who will play Feyd in the new Dune movie?

Tom Holland. The hardest of the three major new roles to cast, Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen is essentially Paul Atreides' dark doppelgänger; the man he could've become if raised under the vile Baron Harkonnen's tutelage.
Edited by kav

On 11/8/2021 at 8:01 AM, Black_Adam said:

Saw it yesterday with a friend who is a fellow Dune fan (we're both big fans of the novels and the 1984 film). He nodded off at one point. Though there were some stunning glimpses of Arrakis the film seemed big on scenery and small on story, almost as if the writer and/or director assumed everyone seeing the film already knows the mythology of Dune. I wish we'd seen more of Col. Kurtz aka Baron Harkonnen. And there were some big gaps in the story that I am assuming will be in the sequel, if there is one. It wasn't a bad movie - I would give it a 7 out of 10. Glad I didn't take the wife as she would have been totally baffled. Friend thought the 1984 film was better. Neither of us were left chomping at the bit for part two.

I missed the dinner scene and the feyd scenes from the book but there's only so much they can fit in a movie even a 3 parter.  Overall the screenwriters did a great job with a very difficult book to movie trnslation.

Edited by kav

On 11/8/2021 at 9:46 PM, kav said:

Just started Dune-I'm liking it.  Very pleasantly surprised.  will report back later.  I hope to be fully wrong about what i thought of this movie.  30 minutes in and nothing stupid a very good sign.  Acting is superb.  They dont hit you over the head with stuff like the lynch atrocity.  @Bosco685

:tink:

That's great to read it worked for you. It may not for everyone. But I had a great time with it as a long-time book reader and fan.

On 11/9/2021 at 1:09 AM, Bosco685 said:

:tink:

That's great to read it worked for you. It may not for everyone. But I had a great time with it as a long-time book reader and fan.

I can see people that havent read the book going meh.  Its not exactly pulse pounding.  I wouldnt watch it again but for a first watch for a Dune fan I give it a thumbs up.  One thing I didnt like 

Spoiler

Was when chani wanted him to lose and die-in the book she despised jamis and gave paul tip on how to defeat him.  they also didnt clarify paul's far superior battle ability.  In the book they thought he ws toying with jamis.

On 11/8/2021 at 9:45 PM, kav said:

I can see how non Dune book fans could find this movie a bit slow and even boring but for me it hits the nail on the head.  Well done.  I was wrong.

Who will play Feyd in the new Dune movie?

Tom Holland. The hardest of the three major new roles to cast, Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen is essentially Paul Atreides' dark doppelgänger; the man he could've become if raised under the vile Baron Harkonnen's tutelage.

happy to see this Kav. Dune is the best film I have seen in a long time. 

Edited by Artboy99

On 11/9/2021 at 12:10 PM, kav said:

I can see people that havent read the book going meh.  Its not exactly pulse pounding.  I wouldnt watch it again but for a first watch for a Dune fan I give it a thumbs up.  One thing I didnt like 

Hide contents

Was when chani wanted him to lose and die-in the book she despised jamis and gave paul tip on how to defeat him.  they also didnt clarify paul's far superior battle ability.  In the book they thought he ws toying with jamis.

Stilgar says in the film "is he toying with him?" which is a definite nod to the book.

On 11/8/2021 at 10:48 PM, kav said:

I missed the dinner scene and the feyd scenes from the book but there's only so much they can fit in a movie even a 3 parter.  Overall the screenwriters did a great job with a very difficult book to movie trnslation.

Hopefully they will introduce Feyd thoroughly very early in part 2

Rund and Ramtin speak to sci-fi writer and Princeton historian, Haris Durrani, about why the lore of Dune still proves so relevant and the ways in which the 2021 film succeeds and fails to convey its messages.

"Dreams are messages from the deep." Those are the first words that appear on the screen in Denis Villenueve's 2021 film, Dune, a cinematic adaptation of the iconic 1965 sci-fi book by Frank Herbert. The book contains dreams within dreams. Dreams of a future humanity in all of its flawed complexity. Dune takes place about ten thousand years from now with humanity having spread across the galaxy, populating planets and evolving in myriad mysterious and fascinating ways. But Herbert's vision isn't unrecognizable to our contemporary eyes. In fact, unlike many other similar sci-fi stories, Dune projects Islamic belief and philosophy into the future, placing it right at the center of future events. It uses Middle Eastern history to paint a dream of a future which is both futuristic and ancient, exhilarating and full of tension. It is a story about the perils of imperialism, messianic beliefs, and environmental degradation. It is a story about us.

There is a 45-minute audio track summarizing the history and influences of Dune.

Bonus: The Deep History of Dune