• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frank Herbert's DUNE from Legendary Pictures (TBD)
6 6

797 posts in this topic

Very good dive into why Dune ends up looking great. Lighting is a BIG thing for me in movies, something many superhero movies botch (regardless of if a stylistic look is intended the lighting is often an immersion breaker), so getting this right was well worth it.

I loved the music of this film so much, that after seeing this movie in the comfort of my home I *HAD* to see it in theaters to experience the sound and vibrations.

Here is a link to the Hans Zimmer soundtrack. I think my favorite piece is Leaving Caladan, at 16:36

On 11/16/2021 at 11:26 PM, alexgross.com said:

this is a brilliant, stunning epic film. for those who find it slow or boring, try reading a sci-fi book once in awhile, or any book for that matter. it's a dense, thickly woven tapestry of worlds and dynasties, heavily influential on so many who read the books, like george lucas. there's no way to begin to broach the story in a two hour movie. your little video game playing attention spans are not up to the challenge of real filmmaking. 

Get off your high horse.  You are damn near as bad as Silvermane saying that because someone doesnt like a movie you like that makes them a dullard.

On 11/17/2021 at 9:44 AM, media_junkie said:

Get off your high horse.  You are damn near as bad as Silvermane saying that because someone doesnt like a movie you like that makes them a dullard.

fair enough! 

i just can't deal with people saying it's slow or boring. these people don't have attention spans, imho. it's neither. but i suppose i do also sound like a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed, which i can live with.  

On 11/17/2021 at 11:29 AM, D84 said:

I loved it, but I get why people didn't. 

To be fair, I have a couple issues with the movie as well, but compared to the David Lynch adaptation, it's a knockout.

Now, don't mess up part two with studio interference, WB!

The movie is complex, the friend I took to see it at the theaters came out of it not understanding what was going on so I can see that side of it for sure.

The only issue I had was a few scenes where the dialogue was very difficult to understand. Example: When Paul was being tested, his Mother standing outside of the room was saying things, and after several viewings I am no closer to understanding all of it. Possibly it is the Gurney Halleck poem from the book? 

Edited by Artboy99

On 11/17/2021 at 7:19 PM, Artboy99 said:

When Paul was being tested, his Mother standing outside of the room was saying things, and after several viewings I am no closer to understanding all of it. Possibly it is the Gurney Halleck poem from the book? 

Fear Litany, I believe, though that specific viewpoint is not in the book.  What else would it be?  However, for her to be muttering aloud would be a very un Bene Gesserit move.

Edited by Dr. Love

On 11/17/2021 at 9:19 PM, Artboy99 said:

The movie is complex, the friend I took to see it at the theaters came out of it not understanding what was going on so I can see that side of it for sure.

Yeah, that was my issue. It seems like some important scenes were cut for more dream sequences of Zendaya, making it hard to follow for those who haven't read the book.

Don't get me wrong, I loved it, but even the first time I saw it, I wondered how someone who hasn't read the book would understand the movie.

On 11/17/2021 at 8:57 PM, Dr. Love said:

Fear Litany, I believe, though that specific viewpoint is not in the book.  What else would it be?  However, for her to be muttering aloud would be a very un Bene Gesserit move.

Yes, she says " I must not fear, fear is the mind killer" but there is more to it than that. I will figure it out :) "I will face my fear..."

"fear is the litany that brings obliteration"

"when she is gone there will be nothing"

lots of dialogue that I find difficult to understand. You are right, basically fear litany. 

Edited by Artboy99

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”