• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frank Herbert's DUNE from Legendary Pictures (TBD)
6 6

797 posts in this topic

On 11/17/2021 at 10:12 PM, Dr. Love said:

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

Clearly your hearing is better than mine! :)

On 11/18/2021 at 7:38 AM, Muno42 said:

There is no switch to Jessica while the scene is occurring in the book. Like much of the expansion of this first half, I assume the decision was to enforce how much Jessica cares for Paul. 

That, and also how much Jessica’s training has influenced Paul.

On 11/18/2021 at 2:56 AM, alexgross.com said:

fair enough! 

i just can't deal with people saying it's slow or boring. these people don't have attention spans, imho. it's neither. but i suppose i do also sound like a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed, which i can live with.  

I agree with the attention spans. It’s the Tic Toc Twitter revolution. If its longer than 180 seconds or 280 characters it ain’t worth watching or reading. Imagine someone just swiping through these clips day in and day out and then having to wrap their brain around a 3 hour movie.

B16C175E-31E5-4AF6-B503-440AF013D56F.webp

EMPIRE: Spice itself is mysterious – and we know that Spice is necessary for space travel, so it feels natural that it would be a bit mysterious.

DV: Yes, there's something about- I insisted that we will never go inside the spaceships. Dune is really a project that was, for me, focusing entirely on Arrakis and the Fremen planet, and focusing on the ecosystem of the planet. It's a story that is very grounded. It's not a story about space-travelling. It's so [much] more beautiful when we don't see.

EMPIRE: The transport ships themselves echo the shape of the worms – is it a sort of stargate that people pass through, or is that the ship itself?

DV: The Heighliners that are used by the Spacing Guild are ships. We went through a long period of design. When we came [up] with that shape, I knew we had the right one. It feels like an echo to the worm, and at the same time it feels like it could be seen as a stargate. It's like the system that [the Imperium] are using to travel and to bridge space and time is… I like again to not explain it and try to stay in a zone of [the] unknown. I think it's absolutely beautiful. And that's where we took a little bit of liberty from the book, where it has a feeling that it could be something that is folding space in a way, that you can see it as almost as a stargate. But I like to keep it [a] mystery right now. It will be more permanent and explained in Part Two.

EMPIRE: In Paul’s prophetic dreams of Jamis, his Fremen opponent in the duel, it says, ‘He’ll be your friend, he’ll teach you about the Fremen’… Is that over and done with? Is there going to be a continuing relationship?

DV: I cannot reveal anything here. But I will say this – one of the challenges that I had was how to bring the idea, like in the book, where Paul can foresee a future that is shifting all the time. He can feel things, he has emotion toward what's coming. But intellectually, it's very difficult to articulate. He can have strong intuitions with images, but the images are like dreams that he has difficulty to decipher. And I wanted to bring this to another level in the movie, where it will really be like dreams. And these dreams will have very precise emotions that he could digest, but the meaning of those dreams will be always a bit obscure. Some of them will be more precise, others will be just poetic abstractions, and contradictory sometimes. I thought that will be a much more interesting, dramatic – that those dreams are warning or hints, but they don't reveal exactly what will happen. Jamis is part of those dreams, and honestly, is one of my favourite characters in this movie. I mean, Babs Olusanmokun, the actor, was an absolutely beautiful actor. I had so much great time working with Babs, and the more I was shooting, the more I was adding, adding, adding more and more, because I was too much inspired by that.

On 11/20/2021 at 8:43 AM, Bosco685 said:

I had forgotten that Denis Villeneuve had directed Sicario.

Sicario.jpg.0f1d8861fc0a7fa84e6fc1fdc4cfaec9.jpg

Rewatched it last night. I can see why he has been so successful with character development.

Love Sicario - but primary credit goes to the screenwriter, Taylor Sheridan.

Dude seemingly came out of nowhere - from acting in a supporting role on Sons on Anarchy to then writing:

• Sicario
  • Hell or High Water
  • Wind River
  • Yellowstone

Best new screenwriter of the decade.

On 11/20/2021 at 9:22 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Love Sicario - but primary credit goes to the screenwriter, Taylor Sheridan.

Dude seemingly came out of nowhere - from acting in a supporting role on Sons on Anarchy to then writing:

• Sicario
  • Hell or High Water
  • Wind River
  • Yellowstone

Best new screenwriter of the decade.

Incredible!

But to say primary credit like the director didn't deliver the casting, visual style and final story results would be making light of his contributions. Even the screenwriter notes he gave him the strong mold, and Villeneuve added layers upon layers.

Edited by Bosco685

On 11/20/2021 at 4:43 PM, Bosco685 said:

I had forgotten that Denis Villeneuve had directed Sicario.

Sicario.jpg.0f1d8861fc0a7fa84e6fc1fdc4cfaec9.jpg

Rewatched it last night. I can see why he has been so successful with character development.

I love this movie. The soundtrack really hits and adds some oomph and anxiety to certain scenes. He didn’t do Sicario 2 but I really hope the original team gets together for the third one.

On 11/20/2021 at 9:57 AM, D84 said:

Tyler Sheridan also directed Those Who Wish Me Dead, which is one of the best movies I've seen this year.

Thanks - I'll check it out on HBO Max.

Didn't realize he also directed (as well as wrote) Wind River. I liked it when I watched it but it's not in the same league as Hell or High Water or Sicario.

And Wind River's especially inferior to Thunderheart,  the Val Kilmer film of the same ilk back from the mid-90s.