• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frank Herbert's DUNE from Legendary Pictures (TBD)
6 6

797 posts in this topic

On 4/18/2022 at 9:59 AM, ▫️ said:

There was an article that came out in Esquire today about David Lynch wanting a do-over with his 1984 Dune.  He didn’t have final cut and was very unhappy with the finished product. I would love to see his do-over but he’s not Zack Snyder. Also found this very cool trailer:

So many great actors in that movie. Although it didn't meet all my book desires, there is still enough to enjoy it. Though nothing close to what we got in 2021.

Universal has offered repeatedly to give Lynch the opportunity to make a director's cut, and he's declined every time. I wonder what's changed his mind to want a do over now?

I'd love to see the original water of life scene, that's closer to the book. There are a couple stills and a tiny clip on the DVD special features, but I've never gotten a chance to watch the whole scene.

On 4/18/2022 at 11:17 AM, ▫️ said:

"It’s official: David Lynch has entered the director’s cut chat. See Zack Snyder shaking in his boots over in the corner?"

You can always tell how these reporting sites can't get Zack Snyder out of their heads.

I would be interested in seeing Lynch Cut of the ‘84 film but I highly doubt it will ever happen. 

It seems to me that this is a very different situation than the Snyder JL situation.  As I understand it, Snyder was happy with the footage he shot it was just a matter of editing it together into the film he envisioned. 

With Dune, in the past Lynch could barely even bring himself to talk about the film and even then the most he would say is that it was a miserable experience. So I’m kind of surprised that he’s even entertaining the idea. 

But unlike Snyder, in the article Lynch says that a) he can’t remember most of the footage he shot and b) what he does remember of it he’s not happy with.  According to Lynch, the artistic compromises weren’t just in the editing. 

I have a feeling if he actually sat down and started going through the footage he would probably get disgusted all over again and walk away from it.  

I watched this recently and was very impressed. I was quite surprised it did so well at the box office, as it seems to me that you must read the book in order to understand any film interpretation. I'll be re-reading the books again soon. I wasn't aware of the two TV miniseries until last week. The reviews were good, so I bought a blu-ray set including both in 16:9 with 5.1 dts audio. William Hurt, James McAvoy and Susan Sarandon star. The first series is 290 minutes and covers the first book, and the 2nd series is 251 minutes and covers the 2nd and 3rd books. I don't recall much about the David Lynch film, except that I liked it. I learned yesterday that Arrow Video has released it in 4K, and Barnes & Noble has Criterion Collection and Arrow Video on sale at 50% off right now so I bought it.

Advice to Dune star timothee chalamet from DiCaprio:

Chalamet said when he met the 47-year-old actor in 2018, “The Great Gatsby” star told him, “No hard drugs and no superhero movies.”

On 9/16/2022 at 11:17 PM, kav said:

Advice to Dune star timothee chalamet from DiCaprio:

Chalamet said when he met the 47-year-old actor in 2018, “The Great Gatsby” star told him, “No hard drugs and no superhero movies.”

That's sound advice. See what hard drugs and superhero movies did to Robert Downey, Jr.

Rolling-Stone-Keith-Richards.thumb.jpg.301c6f22c7a3f1a7bfc01cf1cdd79997.jpg

On 9/16/2022 at 9:47 PM, D84 said:

That's sound advice. See what hard drugs and superhero movies did to Robert Downey, Jr.

Rolling-Stone-Keith-Richards.thumb.jpg.301c6f22c7a3f1a7bfc01cf1cdd79997.jpg

DiCrapio just mad cause no one ever cast 'im as a super hero-

Slowly rewatching this incredible film in 4K.

It is amazing how much of the Dune story this film delivers wonderfully. To include building the mystery and secretive influence of the Sisterhood.

^^

On 1/20/2024 at 6:49 AM, Bosco685 said:

Slowly rewatching this incredible film in 4K.

It is amazing how much of the Dune story this film delivers wonderfully. To include building the mystery and secretive influence of the Sisterhood.

^^

The first part, to me, was so immersive that it seemed it had only been on a half hour. The continuation was an unexpected disappointment, but that's the drawback with my spoiler free no-reviewing approach. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a feriend of jesus)(thumbsu