• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frank Herbert's DUNE from Legendary Pictures (TBD)
6 6

797 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, D84 said:

I love those. They weren't perfect, but probably as close as we can get to accurate adaptations.

Now that I remembered someone never gave me my Children of Dune DVD set back, I need to track this back down. But I still have my Dune Special Edition DVD set.

dune01.PNG.08484a771108fc6ee5c586a50ca6770a.PNG

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

And a video overview of the original Dune film that never got made.

I enjoyed the documentary and would highly recommend it it anyone who’s interested in the books or the films. 

But I agree with his conclusion:  Jodorowsky’s Dune has the reputation of being “the greatest movie never made” but the reality is if it actually had been made in the mid-70’s it probably wouldn’t have been as great as we now imagine it would have been.

It’s easy to look at storyboards and artists’ conceptual artwork - which is all amazing - and image what it would be like if faithful executed on film. But the chances that actually happening with the limitations they had back then?

There’s a lot of cool stuff in the Star Wars concept artwork that didn’t make on the screen because it couldn’t be done back in ‘77

On 4/17/2020 at 10:28 AM, Bosco685 said:

Review of the SYFY Channel Dune productions.

Dune (2000)

Spoiler

Re watched the Dune mini series today - it's been many years - and I have to say, I really, really like it! Not that it should surprise me but there has been a lot of good TV series coming out over the years and it holds up really well. If you can put aside obvious sets and what has to possibly be the worst costume design in the history of the medium I give it a solid 5/5. I agree with pretty much everything the reviewer says here but I have no problem with Alec Newman at all, I think he excels in the role and I don't find his age a distraction. Children of Dune tomorrow and if I recall things just get better from here.

Acclaimed filmmaker David Lynch has reflected on his 1984 adaptation of Dune and has spoken about Denis Villeneuve's upcoming version Frank Herbert’s story, which the director has “zero interest” in. 

“I have zero interest in Dune,” Lynch said when asked by The Hollywood Reporter if he had any opinion on the recent first wave of photos that emerged from the upcoming released.

When pushed further, he opened up about why. “Because it was a heartache for me,” Lynch revealed. “It was a failure and I didn’t have final cut. I’ve told this story a billion times. It’s not the film I wanted to make. I like certain parts of it very much – but it was a total failure for me.”

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/david-lynch-zero-interest-dune-155941480.html

1 hour ago, wombat said:

Acclaimed filmmaker David Lynch has reflected on his 1984 adaptation of Dune and has spoken about Denis Villeneuve's upcoming version Frank Herbert’s story, which the director has “zero interest” in. 

“I have zero interest in Dune,” Lynch said when asked by The Hollywood Reporter if he had any opinion on the recent first wave of photos that emerged from the upcoming released.

When pushed further, he opened up about why. “Because it was a heartache for me,” Lynch revealed. “It was a failure and I didn’t have final cut. I’ve told this story a billion times. It’s not the film I wanted to make. I like certain parts of it very much – but it was a total failure for me.”

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/david-lynch-zero-interest-dune-155941480.html

Doesn’t surprise me. 

My understanding is that Lynch doesn’t really discuss Dune too much. I read somewhere that Lynch wasn’t particularly interested in the novel but was more interested in the opportunity to do world-building, that’s what attracted him to the project. 

But I recall on a documentary from the 2-disc DVD version I used to own one of the De Laurentiis girls saying they thought they were making the next Star Wars. The producers clearly wanted something commercial and Lynch had no interest in that. 

It’s funny, because in the documentary about his film, Jordorowsky is delighted with the failure of Lynch’s film, yet both directors are similar in that they both had their agendas other than a faithful adaptation of the novel:  Jordorowsky wanted to make a type of religious experience, Lynch wanted to do world-building (which no doubt involved a lot of his weird Lynchian stuff)

20 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I am now whole again, though had to spend even more to replace what I originally owned.

Dune01.PNG.2ddb05f0cd18f26e83cdcad56b8c4091.PNG

Now for a SYFY Dune viewing party! :banana:

Spoiler

I watched Children of Dune last weekend following up the Dune mini-series and again I'm very impressed.

Overall very well acted and scripted, Alec Newman just gets better here, James McAvoy is magnetic but I'm going to call out Steven Berkoff as Stilgar in this mini series as a particular favorite. As with the Dune mini there are some very powerful scenes. There is a lot of respect for the source material here which makes effects and staging seem secondary to the former which is nice for a fan of the books. These are not easy books to adapt as they are plot heavy and action poor. They do a good job keeping the exposition to a minimum but I still wince when I hear it, I'm always of the opinion that if you haven't read the book the don't expect it spoon fed to you - as I'm sure many don't - but these(movies) are here to make money and so are inevitably dumbed down to some extent to reach a wider audience. I'm not complaining here, they do a good job weaving multiple plot threads without lowering the bar that often - not easy. 5/5

Overall the Dune and Children of Dune mini series set a very high bar (that's not something that happens often) and I will always be fond of them no matter how well or poorly future interpretations end up.

13 hours ago, D84 said:

Since a lot of theaters aren't open, I wonder what will happen to the first look that was supposed to be revealed at the 10th anniversary screenings of Inception on the 17th.

Such crazy and ever-changing times with studio releases.

On 4/16/2020 at 12:23 PM, Mr Sneeze said:
On 4/16/2020 at 10:32 AM, newshane said:

Messiah might be okay. 

Children would be awesome. 

God Emperor would be strange. Almost all dialogue. We'd be forced to hear Leto drone on for hours about philosophy while torturing the Duncan clones. Hard pass. 

And Brian's books? Good? :facepalm: no...just....no

I thought the TV mini series did a great job with Messiah and Children of Dune.

God Emperor is such a great book but hard to imagine adapting into a movie. 

As for Brian Herberts books, I think it’s just his name on a Kevin J Anderson manuscript. The books are consistent with his writing - short chapters followed by a recap in the following short chapter - and when compared to Frank Herbert’s novels fall pretty far down the literary spectrum. That being said I really enjoyed the two Brian/Anderson prequel trilogies, they are much simpler books but still highly entertaining. I think there were some Frank Herbert penned fragments that found their way into the ‘House’ series - that would explain the slightly longer chapters in those books.

Not much into movies at this time, but this one has me excited. 

Its been a while since I've read them. I remember the first time I discovered it, my family was on vacation and I had wandered into a bookstore, and a stranger, a kid not that much older than me, seeing me browsing over the Science Fiction and Fantasy stuff, just walked up to me and said something like "you've got to read this this" and he literally shoved the first book into my hand...I can't remember what I said, but I did buy it, and I spent the rest of the vacation and back home reading all 3, this was around 1980 I think, and I think we were in Fort Walton Beach.

My recollection is that God Emperor came out around that time, and so going from the original 3 to it was no lapse for me, God Emperor is still my favourite, its the one I will pull off the shelf just to reread bits and pieces, but I agree it would not blend well into a single movie or set of movies with the original 3, which really each deserve a movie of their own. The first three I can visualize as classic space opera, but God Emperor is a classical tragedy, and would be more like making a movie adaptation of a play, but that said, God Emperor is a profound work, a serious meditation on history and fate. His transformation into the worm was I think meant to close the cycle, but audiences would be unlikely to relate to a giant worm as the main character. 

Let me correct what I said about audiences not responding well to a giant worm as the main character....I meant, unless of course, it was a film about a giant worm gobbling up teenage girls in bikinis at the beach party...then, of course, boffo box office all the way lol

8 minutes ago, crassus said:

Not much into movies at this time, but this one has me excited. 

Its been a while since I've read them. I remember the first time I discovered it, my family was on vacation and I had wandered into a bookstore, and a stranger, a kid not that much older than me, seeing me browsing over the Science Fiction and Fantasy stuff, just walked up to me and said something like "you've got to read this this" and he literally shoved the first book into my hand...I can't remember what I said, but I did buy it, and I spent the rest of the vacation and back home reading all 3, this was around 1980 I think, and I think we were in Fort Walton Beach.

My recollection is that God Emperor came out around that time, and so going from the original 3 to it was no lapse for me, God Emperor is still my favourite, its the one I will pull off the shelf just to reread bits and pieces, but I agree it would not blend well into a single movie or set of movies with the original 3, which really each deserve a movie of their own. The first three I can visualize as classic space opera, but God Emperor is a classical tragedy, and would be more like making a movie adaptation of a play, but that said, God Emperor is a profound work, a serious meditation on history and fate. His transformation into the worm was I think meant to close the cycle, but audiences would be unlikely to relate to a giant worm as the main character. 

I thoroughly enjoyed reading God Emperor, I just don't see how it would translate into a film. 

5 minutes ago, newshane said:

I thoroughly enjoyed reading God Emperor, I just don't see how it would translate into a film. 

Yeah I agree completely, I'm surprised the plan is not for 3 movies, one for each of the original trilogy, like Lord of the Rings, three books, three movies...done....and if done well, I think everyone would be grateful enough....but if I understand correctly there is only going to be 2 movies?