• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel October 1999 ~ February 2000 US Newsstand Price Variants
8 8

381 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

Tis a fair monetary point divad. Me, I revel in the fact that there are a handful of glorious lunatics who catalogue that which the majority shun. Just wait until you see my next thread.....:D

Indeed! lol

5 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

Hey look!

X-Men 95 $2.29, not shown previously.

23! :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Spoiler

Be honest, you counted the bananas didn't you.

07_01_18.thumb.PNG.c9301c36b451cf1131047797244f7473.PNG

It's great that we're finding more, but odd that only for the titles that I originally set out. It makes you wonder whether these were the only titles that got the treatment, doesn't it... hm

I guess I've been holding out on everyone.  Let's add another, then I'll give an account of my experiences...

Here's the Cable #72 $2.29 Newsstand.

cable72-229.thumb.jpg.af2572598bd462099181ceb76f44346d.jpg

So I'm a pretty avid X-Men and Wolverine collector, and I've been tracking these $2.29 and $2.49 Newsstand issues for years now.  You would think that after years of on-and-off searching, that I'd have a bunch of these.  However, it seems that these are all pretty tough to come by.

In these years of searching, I'm of the mindset that Uncanny X-Men and Wolverine variants do NOT exist.  (If anyone can prove me wrong and wants to sell me any Wolverine variant from #143-147, I'd pay $50 each for any condition and $100 each for NM or better).

Of the X-Men (Vol 2) books I own, I've taken some details down about some of the purchases.

X-Men #93 ($2.29) purchased from a seller in Monroe, WI 53566
X-Men #93 ($2.49) purchased from a seller in Concord, NC 28025
X-Men #93 ($2.49) purchased from a seller in Sterling, MA 01564
X-Men #95 ($2.29) purchased from a seller in Lakefield, MN 56150
X-Men #95 ($2.49) purchased from a seller in Tonawanda, NY 14150
X-Men #95 ($2.49) purchased from a seller in Cohasset, MA 02061

Now, these were likely eBay purchases throughout the years, so who knows if this was the origination point or if they travelled the country through multiple collections/dealers before arriving at my doorstep.   Afterall, if someone were to pry these from me, they'd have datapoints from Chicago, IL.

In my own personal experience, it has always been easiest to find price variants of X-Men #93 vs the rest of the field.  Again, take that with a grain of salt, as I make no claim here to actual rarity or availability.

Anyone that is up for trades, feel free to PM me.  I have the following available in various conditions.

2 x X-Men #93 ($2.49)
1 x X-Men #95 ($2.49)
1 x Cable #72 ($2.29) - pictured above

I'm looking for both versions of X-Men #96 to complete my X-Men set (since I don't believe variants of #97 exist).  I'm also looking for both version of Hulk #8.  I'd trade for any Uncanny or Wolverine issues as well, though like the X-Men #97, I think these are non-existent (please prove me wrong).  I'm open to outright buying any of these issues as well if trades aren't your thing.

4 hours ago, masterlogan2000 said:

I guess I've been holding out on everyone.  Let's add another, then I'll give an account of my experiences...

Here's the Cable #72 $2.29 Newsstand.

So I'm a pretty avid X-Men and Wolverine collector, and I've been tracking these $2.29 and $2.49 Newsstand issues for years now.  You would think that after years of on-and-off searching, that I'd have a bunch of these.  However, it seems that these are all pretty tough to come by.

In these years of searching, I'm of the mindset that Uncanny X-Men and Wolverine variants do NOT exist.  (If anyone can prove me wrong and wants to sell me any Wolverine variant from #143-147, I'd pay $50 each for any condition and $100 each for NM or better).

Of the X-Men (Vol 2) books I own, I've taken some details down about some of the purchases.

X-Men #93 ($2.29) purchased from a seller in Monroe, WI 53566
X-Men #93 ($2.49) purchased from a seller in Concord, NC 28025
X-Men #93 ($2.49) purchased from a seller in Sterling, MA 01564
X-Men #95 ($2.29) purchased from a seller in Lakefield, MN 56150
X-Men #95 ($2.49) purchased from a seller in Tonawanda, NY 14150
X-Men #95 ($2.49) purchased from a seller in Cohasset, MA 02061

Now, these were likely eBay purchases throughout the years, so who knows if this was the origination point or if they travelled the country through multiple collections/dealers before arriving at my doorstep.   Afterall, if someone were to pry these from me, they'd have datapoints from Chicago, IL.

In my own personal experience, it has always been easiest to find price variants of X-Men #93 vs the rest of the field.  Again, take that with a grain of salt, as I make no claim here to actual rarity or availability.

Anyone that is up for trades, feel free to PM me.  I have the following available in various conditions.

2 x X-Men #93 ($2.49)
1 x X-Men #95 ($2.49)
1 x Cable #72 ($2.29) - pictured above

I'm looking for both versions of X-Men #96 to complete my X-Men set (since I don't believe variants of #97 exist).  I'm also looking for both version of Hulk #8.  I'd trade for any Uncanny or Wolverine issues as well, though like the X-Men #97, I think these are non-existent (please prove me wrong).  I'm open to outright buying any of these issues as well if trades aren't your thing.

24! :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Don't ever hold out on me again MasterLogan (tsk)

Only kidding, I'm pleased you dived in for three reasons. First up, your new books makes 24 - here's the updated chart:

08_01_18.thumb.PNG.9307e0b192371b8892504c9bf13086e1.PNG

Secondly, your background summary shows what I suspected - that there are indeed other lunatics out there trying to track these down. I'm not alone! It usually links to a character - me Spidey, you Wolvey and X-Men - such is the completists wont. It also shows that the avid collector will indeed pay a premium, dispelling the naysayers who struggle to comprehend why someone would offer a large bounty on a book which, in it's 'normal' state, is fairly worthless. Again, the completists desire is a powerful one. I wish you luck in your hunt MasterLogan and if I ever see the books you want, they're yours my friend.

Thirdly, your experience matches mine - years of looking and years of only finding the same limited set of books. @FlyingDonut staked his claim earlier that all newsstands would have these variants. I'm going to propose the opposite. I believe that the titles in my chart may be the only ones that had the variant treatment. There is no direct evidence for this, but if two people on different sides of the pond keep finding the same books, and never find one outside of those on the chart above, then that's a powerful indicator that they may be it.

I never say never. But I do like to draw conclusions. Years of looking and years of not finding tell a story. Until someone finds a book outside of the title range here then I'm inclined to say that's it. Similarly, I think it's unlikely we'll see a 5 month run. If ASM 14 and FF 22 exist, they are hiding like a hiding thing from Hiding Town Hidingville.

Or that could just be my cunning plan to draw out those holding back who are in the knowing know all knowledge......

All good fun :bigsmile:

1 minute ago, divad said:

Why, it's the next bitcoin!!!:flipbait: . . . :baiting: hm lol

It is! To most, each variant is only worth a bit of a coin! :D

4 hours ago, PeterPark said:

Found Hulk 9, 10 and Thor 18, 19 all $2.49 variants. Every non-6 title newsstand variant at the same store were all $1.99...

Where was this store? Trying to nail down the test area.

13 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

The $1.99 is the "regular" newsstand. How far are you from Armonk, NY? I think that's a location.

75 miles or so...not that far...but far enough? I'm saying I think there's a prevalence here in the Hartford area to have both copies available (if you can find a newsstand copy)...like maybe it was just the...I don't know, Barnes and Noble copies at the higher price say? While Stop and Shop copies were still $1.99? Hearing copies came from Massachusetts too would make me think it was closer to my area than almost to NYC...although maybe Marvel thought big city markets wouldn't notice...hm

Edited by PeterPark

@PeterPark - thanks for the two new Hulk / Thor find pics! I'm glad you've joined the hunt :headbang:

Here's the updated chart showing all 26 issues we've found to date:

10_01_18.thumb.PNG.ee4f004fea55433c96ab91bfb68a4433.PNG

No dancing banana's this time (although I love the way the 24th banana is out of sink with the other 23 above - well, he is on my screen anyway)

Peter, FD @FlyingDonut, what do you think to my theory that these six titles are the only ones that received the variant treatment? How much longer can we keep filling in the blanks on this spreadsheet before it starts to look like that's it? hm

What do you think?

22 minutes ago, PeterPark said:

75 miles or so...not that far...but far enough? I'm saying I think there's a prevalence here in the Hartford area to have both copies available (if you can find a newsstand copy)...like maybe it was just the...I don't know, Barnes and Noble copies at the higher price say? While Stop and Shop copies were still $1.99? Hearing copies came from Massachusetts too would make me think it was closer to my area than almost to NYC...although maybe Marvel thought big city markets wouldn't notice...hm

Hmmm. Maybe the test market was Hartford. That would sort of jibe with the 1970s test market cities - large-ish but not too large not in the orbit of a BIG city. Armonk might be too small.