• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC et al To Aggressively Defend Against Lawsuit Filed In Pennsylvania
11 11

584 posts in this topic

On 4/5/2022 at 7:24 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:
On 4/5/2022 at 4:36 PM, Mosh It Up said:

Does anyone know if this is an IGB book?

LINK

I see shading where there shouldn't be any, so I wouldn't rule it out. Mind you, I'm no expert. 

Does it really matter since they are asking $495K for the book?  lol

On 4/6/2022 at 6:45 AM, lou_fine said:

Does it really matter since they are asking $495K for the book?  lol

when one was listed for 25k just some weeks ago on ComicConnect, it's a step up lol

2021 sale

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/900023

Edited by Gotham Kid

On 12/5/2023 at 3:11 PM, fishbone said:

Is there an update on this lawsuit from a few years back ? What happened ?

…… curious

Seems that CGC were successful at trial in having the case dismissed, but an appeals court overturned some of the lower court's findings to do with defamation after the Meyers appealed.

https://casetext.com/case/meyers-v-certified-guar-co

According to this, the appeals court ruling meant that the court thought that some of the Meyers claims should be put to a jury. That was in late 2019 and I don't know what happened after that.

On 12/5/2023 at 12:13 AM, AJD said:

Seems that CGC were successful at trial, but some of the trial decisions were overturned on appeal by the Meyers.

https://casetext.com/case/meyers-v-certified-guar-co

Wow, that entire summary reads like a chat forum discussion here. Almost nobody seems to know what they're talking about and everyone is contradicting themselves. lol

On 12/5/2023 at 4:27 PM, VintageComics said:

Wow, that entire summary reads like a chat forum discussion here. Almost nobody seems to know what they're talking about and everyone is contradicting themselves. lol

Well, a lot of it is quotations of what happened here, so at least it's consistent! lol

On 12/5/2023 at 12:29 AM, AJD said:

Well, a lot of it is quotations of what happened here, so at least it's consistent! lol

People used to argue that these boards were a "little corner of the universe" and that they "have no effect on the hobby" and I've been disagreeing with that for years. 

The CGC chat forum is like the USA, and as the USA goes, so goes the rest of the world. 

It also explains why CGC needs to be very careful with the choices they make. 

"With great power comes great responsibility."

work made comics thick and unnatural to Meyers v. Certified Guar. Co., 221 A.3d 662, 667 (Pa. Super. Ct. 2019)

I was  disturbed by the use of "to" rather than "too" so the rest kind of came across as ..."they said" They didn't say"

From the link:

"Rumors about the Meyers' relationship with Nelson/CGC/CCS spread within their industry, beyond CGC's online message board. Several employees of Heritage took part in an email chain in which they wrote to each other that the Meyers were "reprinting" comic books and that CGC would no longer be grading them. Because of these suspicions, Heritage made a decision not to auction any of the Meyers' restorations. Yet during discovery in the ensuing litigation, none of those Heritage employees could verify the truth of those assertions or even say how they came to the knowledge exchanged in their emails. 

James Lonergran Allen (Allen), an employee of Heritage, admitted that at one point, he thought the Meyers' work was "fake" and said so to the owner of one of their restorations at a New York convention in 2015.

The Meyers also alleged that a number of collectors and dealers conveyed to them at a convention in Chicago, in August 2016, that CGC had refused to grade their work and that Heritage had refused to auction it. When the Meyers spoke directly with Heritage's officers, they admitted to making a decision not to accept their submissions. That decision was ultimately reversed after the Meyers agreed to special conditions as to how their restoration work would be described to buyers at auction. These conditions included caveats on a comic book's casing that warned of non-standard restoration techniques."

Yikes. Companies as big as CGC and Heritage not able to determine if a cover was a "fake" or being stumped so badly on restoration that they have to classify it as "non-standard restoration techniques"? I don't know what to think about that.

@MatterEaterLad

On 12/5/2023 at 11:28 AM, Dr. Balls said:

Yikes. Companies as big as CGC and Heritage not able to determine if a cover was a "fake" or being stumped so badly on restoration that they have to classify it as "non-standard restoration techniques"? I don't know what to think about that.

I was stating this back when the conversation was happening before the details emerged, that CGC probably couldn't tell where the resto began and ended and that may have been one of the reasons they were not grading the books moving forward. :wink:

To dovetail this into the Frankenstein conversation, tech always moves faster than our ability to fully understand it's implications. 

On 12/5/2023 at 9:42 AM, VintageComics said:

I was stating this back when the conversation was happening before the details emerged, that CGC probably couldn't tell where the resto began and ended and that may have been one of the reasons they were not grading the books moving forward. :wink:

To dovetail this into the Frankenstein conversation, tech always moves faster than our ability to fully understand it's implications. 

Absolutely true - however, the size, scope, revenue and resources of places like HA or CGC make me think - especially after reading those quotes - that there was more effort to just dismiss and gloss over it, rather than commit their vast resources and wealth to understanding and determining it. I have absolutely zero sympathy for a company or companies that boast over $1B in sales but can't be troubled to do research into something they are supposedly "influential and involved" in. It's pretty second-rate.

On 12/5/2023 at 12:11 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Absolutely true - however, the size, scope, revenue and resources of places like HA or CGC make me think - especially after reading those quotes - that there was more effort to just dismiss and gloss over it, rather than commit their vast resources and wealth to understanding and determining it. I have absolutely zero sympathy for a company or companies that boast over $1B in sales but can't be troubled to do research into something they are supposedly "influential and involved" in. It's pretty second-rate.

I'm not going to harp on CGC specifically, but in general it really highlights what a veneer much of society has over it and how few people are able to recognize this. 

I used to think everyone could see stuff like this clearly but I've only recently realized that very few actually do. 

Edited by VintageComics

On 12/6/2023 at 3:35 AM, Axelrod said:

Man are you saying that if I expressed my opinion here in sufficiently strong terms I might make it into the lawsuit?

Cool.  

You need to overdo it in emotional terms and lash out at someone. 

YOU'RE WRONG, Axelrod, damn you! Why oh why won't you listen?! Your opinion is taking you down A DARK PATH, yet you can't be brought back to the light! Don't do this man, don't do this! 

Voila. 

On 12/5/2023 at 10:21 AM, VintageComics said:

I'm not going to harp on CGC specifically, but in general it really highlights what a veneer much of society has over it and how few people are able to recognize this. 

I used to think everyone could see stuff like this clearly but I've only recently realized that very few actually do. 

I am a fan of CGC, but for me - it puts them in a bad light. I’d expect a lesser company to take the stance they have. If you’re claiming to be the best in the game, you’re occasionally going to have to step up. This was one of those times and they floundered.

From my understanding, the Myers’ work was done with so much finesse, it was hard to detect. But that doesn’t mean it’s not detectable - we (the collectors) look to the Big Boys to lead the way in how restoration evolves and how to recognize it.

CGC and HA should have spent some of that money they earned from slabbing acetate covers and selling Garfield strips to find new tech to identify the Myers’ work instead of whining about it.