• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shipping to Canada -- sorry if it has been asked

38 posts in this topic

Does 1st class international now have a delivery confirmation option good enough for ebay and paypal? If so, what does it cost?

It seems sending a comic or two in an rigid envelope costs around $15. Priority flat rate is around $22?

Is the $15 option how most folks are shipping to canada? frankly, it has been a long time since I have done so. the rates seem like they doubled.

You think thats bad, try shipping FROM Canada. I love this frozen wonderland but i paid $40 to have a slab shipped to Texas a few weeks ago. Only way I could get it tracked and insured for the total value which was $300.

That is why when I ship raws to my Canadian comrades I over pack and use a sturdy box. Because whether its a pound or 2 pounds, cost is still $15. Up to 2 lbs the shipping cost does not change.

Now if you can get it down to 7 oz, the package rate drops down to $9.50.

The first class package service is the least level choice you can get in terms of cost & speed with a delivery tracking #

I was looking at selling a couple mags to someone in Canada and the shipping quote from USPS.com was $25 on a $50 order. They declined and I would have too!

I do go to Niagara on the Lake periodically, 2006, 2010, 2014, and told them I'd hit them up next time I cross the border.

Graded stuff is even worse! The bigger boxes, etc, I've yet to pay anything less than $30 to get something shipped to me...

Right. Now when you are talking about slabs or more expensive raws/slabs, the "risk" to ship 1st class package without any ability to insure starts becoming unappealing to say the least.

For 1 slab I can do that for the $15 shipped 1st class getting it under 2 lbs. For 2 slabs I can get it to you for $24.50 1st class package just under 3 lbs.

While USPS Priority runs $38.50 for a 3 lb package (2 slabs) and can be insured up to $675 I believe it is. For a 2 lb package or 1 slab, $35.40.

Insurance is extra charge relative to value.

PayPal buyer protection is based on evidence based tracking - if you skimp and don't use a traceable service, you leave yourself exposed. Blame PayPal here, and scheming buyers who will expose this loophole and take sellers for a ride.

Overall, it's not bad if you consider what we have to put up with.

I purchased two items from Amazon before Christmas because the alternatives were eBay and looked like this:

A) Shipped from warehouse in the US - 2-4 week turnaround - $60

B) Shipped from warehouse in Missisauga, Ontario - approx 2 week turnaround - $40

C) Shipped from warehouse in China - 4-6 turnaround - $20

I went with option C) which wasn't the one I really would have preferred because of the amount of time it's taking, but that price included product and shipping cost.

The only thing to point out is that sometimes those turnaround times could be conservative depending on inclement weather, and customs clearance, so you could see an extra week or two added.

So 3x the amount for the same product, but the catch is you want to pay a normal price, you need 3x the patience?

Somethings not right.

The only explanation I can think of that explains why parcels coming from China are taking so long to arrive here is an undeclared protectionist tactic being used to deliberately hold and slow down shipments from Asian markets because we simply can't compete.

$5 for a registerred mail service from China to Canada - please tell me where I sign up for this here.

I order from China all the time, you can even find free shipping on sites like alibaba, it's great if you don't mind the wait. Also France to Canada is like 3 Euros compared to the $15 from the states for a similar package.

:screwy:

Do you try Amazon Canada? for most stuff if you spend $35, shipping is free

I just sent something that weighed 5 oz to Canada for $3.12, but no tracking. I think under 1lb is cheaper, but the crazy cost is why I don't ship to Canada on eBay unless it's something from here.

People argue about the cost and I can't fix it for them.

It's the reason why I won't waste my time on small ticket items. Anything priced under 100$ doesn't make sense for me because a) exchange and b) the price of shipping.

I wanted a couple of nice raw variants from a thread here a couple days ago, price was only 22$ with $35 to ship it to me, after exchange and possible duty/handling fees from canada customs 22$ turns into 60$ plus. Its easier just to look around my lcs's for the same books.

As for big ticket items, if i'm spending over 4-500$ us funds I expect the seller to at least help cover the shipping fees. I have no problem walking away from a deal where they wont. If you're getting that much of my money (In US funds) you should be able to help out a bit on shipping.

I do the same when I sell here, any purchase of over 250$ From me comes with free Canada/US shipping.

PayPal buyer protection is based on evidence based tracking - if you skimp and don't use a traceable service, you leave yourself exposed. Blame PayPal here, and scheming buyers who will expose this loophole and take sellers for a ride.

Overall, it's not bad if you consider what we have to put up with.

I purchased two items from Amazon before Christmas because the alternatives were eBay and looked like this:

A) Shipped from warehouse in the US - 2-4 week turnaround - $60

B) Shipped from warehouse in Missisauga, Ontario - approx 2 week turnaround - $40

C) Shipped from warehouse in China - 4-6 turnaround - $20

I went with option C) which wasn't the one I really would have preferred because of the amount of time it's taking, but that price included product and shipping cost.

The only thing to point out is that sometimes those turnaround times could be conservative depending on inclement weather, and customs clearance, so you could see an extra week or two added.

So 3x the amount for the same product, but the catch is you want to pay a normal price, you need 3x the patience?

Somethings not right.

The only explanation I can think of that explains why parcels coming from China are taking so long to arrive here is an undeclared protectionist tactic being used to deliberately hold and slow down shipments from Asian markets because we simply can't compete.

$5 for a registerred mail service from China to Canada - please tell me where I sign up for this here.

The China wait has to do with maximum container space usage.

It's the reason why I won't waste my time on small ticket items. Anything priced under 100$ doesn't make sense for me because a) exchange and b) the price of shipping.

I wanted a couple of nice raw variants from a thread here a couple days ago, price was only 22$ with $35 to ship it to me, after exchange and possible duty/handling fees from canada customs 22$ turns into 60$ plus. Its easier just to look around my lcs's for the same books.

As for big ticket items, if i'm spending over 4-500$ us funds I expect the seller to at least help cover the shipping fees. I have no problem walking away from a deal where they wont. If you're getting that much of my money (In US funds) you should be able to help out a bit on shipping.

I do the same when I sell here, any purchase of over 250$ From me comes with free Canada/US shipping.

See, that's the problem. I normally include free shipping for anything I sell over a certain amount, but after having to pay $45 to ship two slabs (when it was $15 here) ...it just didn't make sense. So I just offer to prorate and deduct what it would cost me in the US.

I like Canada, but not enough to pay that much more to mail for free. I used to when it was $5 more, I didn't care.

First class shipping used to be fine. It was something like $19 for 4 lbs, imagine my shock when a friend said it cost him $36 to mail one hardcover book!

Luckily, I don't sell that often, lol.

Do you try Amazon Canada? for most stuff if you spend $35, shipping is free

I just sent something that weighed 5 oz to Canada for $3.12, but no tracking. I think under 1lb is cheaper, but the crazy cost is why I don't ship to Canada on eBay unless it's something from here.

People argue about the cost and I can't fix it for them.

I have Sharon, but it's usually limited to gifts. I have noticed something screwy about pricing between the Amazon Canada and US site. This was something I was going to gift to someone - the Amazon Canada price is $110.69 and the US price is $49.90. Needless to say, I always check now between Canada/US site prices, and if there's this kind of pricing disparity, I don't buy it. Incidentally, I did eventually manage to buy the scoop from a retailer for $20 CDN.

You think thats bad, try shipping FROM Canada. I love this frozen wonderland but i paid $40 to have a slab shipped to Texas a few weeks ago. Only way I could get it tracked and insured for the total value which was $300.

Google Chit Chat Express and you'll never have that issue again.

$10 CDN tracked three day USA. Holler at your boi