• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shipping to Canada -- sorry if it has been asked

38 posts in this topic

Love these auctions for books I want.

zchSpO0.jpg

Story of our lives.

Not to sound smug but legitimately only buy high ticket items (like $200+) or package deals because the cost to ship to Canada is prohibitive.

You think thats bad, try shipping FROM Canada. I love this frozen wonderland but i paid $40 to have a slab shipped to Texas a few weeks ago. Only way I could get it tracked and insured for the total value which was $300.

Google Chit Chat Express and you'll never have that issue again.

$10 CDN tracked three day USA. Holler at your boi

Yep. Just started using them out here in Vancouver.

PayPal buyer protection is based on evidence based tracking - if you skimp and don't use a traceable service, you leave yourself exposed. Blame PayPal here, and scheming buyers who will expose this loophole and take sellers for a ride.

Overall, it's not bad if you consider what we have to put up with.

I purchased two items from Amazon before Christmas because the alternatives were eBay and looked like this:

A) Shipped from warehouse in the US - 2-4 week turnaround - $60

B) Shipped from warehouse in Missisauga, Ontario - approx 2 week turnaround - $40

C) Shipped from warehouse in China - 4-6 turnaround - $20

I went with option C) which wasn't the one I really would have preferred because of the amount of time it's taking, but that price included product and shipping cost.

The only thing to point out is that sometimes those turnaround times could be conservative depending on inclement weather, and customs clearance, so you could see an extra week or two added.

So 3x the amount for the same product, but the catch is you want to pay a normal price, you need 3x the patience?

Somethings not right.

The only explanation I can think of that explains why parcels coming from China are taking so long to arrive here is an undeclared protectionist tactic being used to deliberately hold and slow down shipments from Asian markets because we simply can't compete.

$5 for a registerred mail service from China to Canada - please tell me where I sign up for this here.

The China wait has to do with maximum container space usage.

You really are mr. knowitall! :applause:

You think thats bad, try shipping FROM Canada. I love this frozen wonderland but i paid $40 to have a slab shipped to Texas a few weeks ago. Only way I could get it tracked and insured for the total value which was $300.

Google Chit Chat Express and you'll never have that issue again.

$10 CDN tracked three day USA. Holler at your boi

Yep. Just started using them out here in Vancouver.

Wow, I really need to move back to Victoria, what a great service.

I bit the bullet and on a boardie recommendation opened up a US shipping address in NY.

http://crossborderpickups.ca/ is their URL. I've had no problems at all - and now nearly everything I get in the US I have sent there. The eBay auction Chadwick posted - I get a great sense of satisfaction when I toggle to US shipping and that $45 turns into $4! (I had also moved to not buying anything unless it was $200 b/c of the shipping...so now I'm back to buying stuff for $10 just because I can ship it to NY!)

I've saved a ton of money - I have all my books from CGC sent there, and so many US retailers offer free or nearly free shipping that it's gotten harder to say no to deals lol.

I bit the bullet and on a boardie recommendation opened up a US shipping address in NY.

http://crossborderpickups.ca/ is their URL. I've had no problems at all - and now nearly everything I get in the US I have sent there. The eBay auction Chadwick posted - I get a great sense of satisfaction when I toggle to US shipping and that $45 turns into $4! (I had also moved to not buying anything unless it was $200 b/c of the shipping...so now I'm back to buying stuff for $10 just because I can ship it to NY!)

I've saved a ton of money - I have all my books from CGC sent there, and so many US retailers offer free or nearly free shipping that it's gotten harder to say no to deals lol.

But when you go pick it up, and cross the border with all this stuff after being there for an hour, do you not get duty charges, etc?

But when you go pick it up, and cross the border with all this stuff after being there for an hour, do you not get duty charges, etc?

Curious as well about this.

Wife and I vacationed Sept 2014 and brought back seven cases of wine. I believe you're allowed two per person duty free. The other bottles are $0.25 each. When the customs agent asked if we had anything to declare I told him some wine. He seemed more interested in ragging me about my Dolphins garb than doing the paperwork. Going into Canada may be different.

PayPal buyer protection is based on evidence based tracking - if you skimp and don't use a traceable service, you leave yourself exposed. Blame PayPal here, and scheming buyers who will expose this loophole and take sellers for a ride.

Overall, it's not bad if you consider what we have to put up with.

I purchased two items from Amazon before Christmas because the alternatives were eBay and looked like this:

A) Shipped from warehouse in the US - 2-4 week turnaround - $60

B) Shipped from warehouse in Missisauga, Ontario - approx 2 week turnaround - $40

C) Shipped from warehouse in China - 4-6 turnaround - $20

I went with option C) which wasn't the one I really would have preferred because of the amount of time it's taking, but that price included product and shipping cost.

The only thing to point out is that sometimes those turnaround times could be conservative depending on inclement weather, and customs clearance, so you could see an extra week or two added.

So 3x the amount for the same product, but the catch is you want to pay a normal price, you need 3x the patience?

Somethings not right.

The only explanation I can think of that explains why parcels coming from China are taking so long to arrive here is an undeclared protectionist tactic being used to deliberately hold and slow down shipments from Asian markets because we simply can't compete.

$5 for a registerred mail service from China to Canada - please tell me where I sign up for this here.

The China wait has to do with maximum container space usage.

You really are mr. knowitall! :applause:

lollol

I have all my US purchases shipped to a package receiving place in Blaine, Washington. There is 5% duty on comic books when I come back across, but only around 1/2 the time they actually make me go in and pay.

I have all my US purchases shipped to a package receiving place in Blaine, Washington. There is 5% duty on comic books when I come back across, but only around 1/2 the time they actually make me go in and pay.

And when you do get asked to go in and pay duty/GST, is it because you have declared over a certain value i.e. every time it's over $200?

And when you do get asked to go in and pay duty/GST, is it because you have declared over a certain value i.e. every time it's over $200?

I almost always have over $200. It is pretty random and depends on the person in the booth. However, the higher the value, the more likely that I will be told to go in and pay duty. The three or four times I have had my kids with me, I did not have to pay duty even though one time I declared $500.

I've found if you have the kids and a giant pile of receipts (bc more receipts means more work for the customs guys) you just get the wave and "go ahead...".

I do remember paying 2 or 3 times but it's always peanuts compared to the amount you save,

I've found if you have the kids and a giant pile of receipts (bc more receipts means more work for the customs guys) you just get the wave and "go ahead...".

I do remember paying 2 or 3 times but it's always peanuts compared to the amount you save,

Yep. I actually look forward to my jaunts down south to pick up my books. The only issue that I have had is when I leave stuff for 2 months and then it turns out it was damaged in shipping. But in all my time doing this, this has been 2 damaged slabs.