• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman Killing Joke Registry

4 posts in this topic

In the Batman The Killing Joke registry there seems to be a mistake.

There is a Batman: The Killing Joke nn D.C. Direct Edition listed. I believe that this is actually the same issue as Batman: The Killing Joke nn Fourteenth Printing.

The Batman: The Killing Joke nn D.C. Direct Edition has a description of:

Key Comments: Joker cripples Barbara Gordon (Batgirl), D.C. Action Figure Edition

While the key comments for the 14th printing does not mention this, even though, the 14th printing was the one included with the D.C. Action Figure Edition.

In the below picture, you can see the notes. The issue labeled as Batman: The Killing Joke nn D.C. Direct Edition has an issue date of 2008 and the key comment noting it was the .C. Action Figure Edition.

The 14th printing has an issue date of 1988. As you can see in the picture, I took, of the lower back of the box, it states the "20th anniversary of the story...", which would (or should) make the actual issue date of 2008. The indicia indicates a copyright date of 1988.

CGCKJdifference_zpsqcorrbyu.jpg

Looking at the census, for both of these books, it shows the one labeled as the Action Figure Edition has 7 graded copies. Whereas the one labeled 14th printing has 13 graded copies.

Thanks for looking into this and getting it corrected.

It's been awhile since I originally posted, as I was trying to find more info.  Thanks to Canadian Mutant for posting pics in his registry set, which I have "borrowed" to illustrate the case.

Below are pictures of 2 books that are labeled 14th printing (on the left) and Direct Edition (on the right).  These are different copies of what I believe is the same book, as the CGC numbers shown are different between the 2 books.

The CGC Label says the 14th printing is from 1988, which the indicia in the book clearly states.  However, the back cover ad, on both books, shows this printing was not done in 1988 as the ad states the figures are in stores in August 2008.

The action figure that this book was included in came out in 2008, for the 20th anniversary of the 1st printing, as shown in the picture in the above post.

The book that was included with the action figure is the 14th printing.

The UPC code is the same on both books, as shown in the photo below.

Both books have the same ad on the back cover that states "In stores August 2008".

So, I say that the registry is wrong.  The 14th printing AND the Direct Edition are one and the same.

There are currently 15 books registered as 14th Printing and 8 books registered as Direct Edition.  These should all be listed as 14th Printing with an annotation of "DC Action Figure Edition".

KJ-CGC-14mistake.thumb.jpg.6c715e58be5fc8efafbd73bf5942f571.jpg

I just submitted another 14th Printing and it is coming back as the Direct edition.  I know this Direct Edition is the 14th printing as both the 14th printing and Direct Edition, were removed from the Action Figure package by me.  So, they are one and the same, but, are listed in 2 spots on the registry.

Looks like someone finally agreed with me, as when you look up the registry census report for the Direct Edition it says the book cannot be found.  It also appears that the census report for the 14th Print has increased pretty much by what the Direct Edition used to have listed.  So, if you had a Direct Edition it looks like it has been moved to the 14th print slot, although it does not allow you to add it to the slot for the 14th Print.  Not quite sure what will become of that book as far as the registry slot it belongs in. 

When I go to Edit Set, it says there are no available comics, but, still shows the Cert # in the slot. 

image.png.1d82ce7f2e3da788eaec9463aa5a4847.png

And here is the slot for the 14th print, that only shows 1 available comic for the slot.

image.png.97ce009dd87d67715e5404cedd898d48.png

here is the Set Listing that still shows the Direct Edition, as well as the 14th printing:

image.png.f011ee75e1b161055ff53f7bbe6cd30e.png

When you click on the  "See CGC'sCensus Report for this Comic", it says "Comic Not Found":

image.png.1375bfcef88a1936b07001672fc71749.png