• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Atomic Age DCs...Have a piece of Rhubarb...
9 9

665 posts in this topic

There's no somewhat about it...the people, the tentacles, the style is Wood's. I wonder if this is an undocumented Wood cover?

Did he do any other work at DC at that time?

I don't know...I just recognize his work when I see it. It's either Wood or a very good copycat...

I know he worked on Challengers of the Unknown, but that was later -- well after EC. I can't think off the top of my head of anything he did for DC this early.

I remember back in the early 70s these early 1950s DCs were sort of a limbo era that few collected. The real GA was thought to have ended around 1949, with a pass for the last few issues of All-Star, and the SA didn't start until 1956. The books were only 20 years old and for the most part more plentiful than their 1940s counterparts. You could buy them for a buck or less, including titles like Batman. The collecting community as a whole was even more superhero oriented than now, and except for ECs, and a few "artist" books, like ones with Frazetta covers, the early 50s were considered a low point in comic publishing. Nowadays many find it the most interesting era.

starspangled122.jpg

(worship)

How is this book not from a pedigree? hm

I don't know. It certainly has all of the attributes. I got it from Ritter and I figure if it was he would be the guy to know. So it is just one of those freaks that was never loved read.

strangeadventures6.jpg

Is it just me, or does that look like Wally Wood had something to do with that cover?

Great cover with a story inside to match.

Prior to assisting Kirby with Challengers of the Unknown Wood's only work with DC was a couple of war stories for Robert Kanigher.

That cover is in a much looser than style than Wood as is credited to "Cresto" according GCD based on Julie Shwartz's records. I've not heard of him.