• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Atomic Age DCs...Have a piece of Rhubarb...
9 9

665 posts in this topic

strangeadventures6.jpg

Is it just me, or does that look like Wally Wood had something to do with that cover?

Great cover with a story inside to match.

Prior to assisting Kirby with Challengers of the Unknown Wood's only work with DC was a couple of war stories for Robert Kanigher.

That cover is in a much looser than style than Wood as is credited to "Cresto" according GCD based on Julie Shwartz's records. I've not heard of him.

Cresto? Someone nobody has heard of, but drew very similar to Wood? Hah...I think it's a pseudonym for Wood, and he dumbed down the art a little so EC wouldn't know he was moonlighting...

strangeadventures6.jpg

Is it just me, or does that look like Wally Wood had something to do with that cover?

Prior to assisting Kirby with Challengers of the Unknown Wood's only work with DC was a couple of war stories for Robert Kanigher.

That cover is in a much looser than style than Wood as is credited to "Cresto" according GCD based on Julie Shwartz's records. I've not heard of him.

Cresto? Someone nobody has heard of, but drew very similar to Wood? Hah...I think it's a pseudonym for Wood, and he dumbed down the art a little so EC wouldn't know he was moonlighting...

Doesn't really look like Wood to me. Wood wasn't exclusive to EC at the time, doing a lot of work for Avon as well. Wood's earlier inferior work for Fox isn't immediately recognizable as Wood all the time, but it doesn't look like this either. He was also known for his detail on aircraft, and I doubt he would have drawn something that looks like an F-82 with a third cockpit stuck in the middle.

"Cresto" can only be found in the GCD for this issue, credited with the cover story, and with a ? for the cover.

starspangled122.jpg

(worship)

How is this book not from a pedigree? hm

I don't know. It certainly has all of the attributes. I got it from Ritter and I figure if it was he would be the guy to know. So it is just one of those freaks that was never loved read.

Supposedly, some of Metro's initial sales of Northfords included books that lacked the distinctive stamp on the back cover. The date and the subject matter would seem to fit for this book, so maybe it's an unrecognized Northford.

strangeadventures6.jpg

Doesn't really look like Wood to me. Wood wasn't exclusive to EC at the time, doing a lot of work for Avon as well. Wood's earlier inferior work for Fox isn't immediately recognizable as Wood all the time, but it doesn't look like this either. He was also known for his detail on aircraft, and I doubt he would have drawn something that looks like an F-82 with a third cockpit stuck in the middle.

"Cresto" can only be found in the GCD for this issue, credited with the cover story, and with a ? for the cover.

Whoever did the cover was very adept at drawing tentacled planets.

I sure wish he had done more of them.

rjpb said:
tricolorbrian said:
adamstrange said:
tricolorbrian said:
MrBedrock said:
strangeadventures6.jpg

I guess we'll never know for sure...but it looks more like Wood than Kamen... lol

I've only been a Wally Wood fan for 45 years, so I'm not sure if I can actually recognize his style or not... hm

Edited by tricolorbrian