• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Barry Windsor Smith
2 2

70 posts in this topic

Last time BWS did any work in comics - has to be those few covers he did for Marvel (I recall an awesome Thor), but that was...God...15 years ago?

When was the last time BWS attended a convention? Anybody know? (Has anyone seen or spoken to him...he's ok, right?)

I didn't see him a few years back at Jeff "Catherine" Jones celebration of life and the service was lieterally less than a mile from BWS's house. I didn't stay that long so he might have showed up later. A few other people were there like Walt Simonson.

1 minute ago, mr_highgrade said:

Forget about Ditko, he wouldn't sign if his life depended on it. As far as Barry is concerned, I obtained three signatures from him here in NY back in 84. But it now sounds like he refuses to sign for anyone.

That's what I was thinking....BWS not, over his career, as anti-sig as Ditko, but fairly infrequent compared to most. That about right?

2 hours ago, seanfingh said:

I think BWS would still happily sign books for fans, he just won't let them be certified and encapsulated. 

You think it ties into his art policy - he's not going to have something encapsulated knowing it could be flipped for profit?  Heck, I'd sign the BWS form for a couple of CGC SS books if that's what it took.  Was glad to meet him when I did - hope he does conventions again at some point.

On 2/13/2017 at 11:06 AM, seanfingh said:

I think BWS would still happily sign books for fans, he just won't let them be certified and encapsulated. 

I've tried to contact him and get a couple personal raw comics signed to no avail (I never heard back)

When I bought a piece of art directly from Barry, many moons ago, I was asked if I wanted it signed. I knew he had two signatures, so I asked for them both, Artist Initials "BWS" and standard sig. He obliged. 

winwolv.JPG

Edited by comix4fun

great page you have there! In my experience he will always sign in the art unless told not to! Got this one for my birthday one year from wifey (which makes it okay).

BWSarcherarmstrong.jpg

Thanks! It usually bugs me to have signatures within the art space, but Barry's sig is a work of art itself, and it never distracts. 

11 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Thanks! It usually bugs me to have signatures within the art space, but Barry's sig is a work of art itself, and it never distracts. 

It doesn't distract at all, on yours at least! :golfclap:Besides the usual groovy linework you have so much fantastic cross-hatching on that page. BWS sometimes enhances some pages prior to selling them, do you know if that is the case here or is that all on the published page?

7 minutes ago, Bird said:

It doesn't distract at all, on yours at least! :golfclap:Besides the usual groovy linework you have so much fantastic cross-hatching on that page. BWS sometimes enhances some pages prior to selling them, do you know if that is the case here or is that all on the published page?

I checked it against the published page. I didn't see any additions. Of course, it was in color and reduced in size in the comic so it doesn't look this detailed in the comic.

Only saw one BWS SS in my many years of collecting...it was CTB#1...I wonder how the person was able to pull this off? BWS at an event with CGC?