Anyway to edit posts after making them?
1 1

35 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Right now editing posts is limited to about 48 hours.

We did this because we didn't want people editing the migrated posts that the board software is busy reformatting right now.

AFTER all of that post-processing is complete, we'll re-address the edit post time limit.

We may up it incrementally as we go, since, for example, all of the old posts that need to be reformatted are already 24 hours old.

Edited by Architecht
Updated to show that editing time is now set to 48 hours.

• Administrator

Select the post and use "hide" in the controls at the bottom to hide post. There is no delete right now.

Also, you can't silently edit a post right now.

Those are things we can change, but we're trying them this way right now.

Seems like if we don't allow a long editing period, that'll make sales threads problematic...need to be able to edit posts when books sell, etc.

Also, in VCC style sales thread listings (like one I have in mixed), there is a need for editing new books for sale into existing posts. The edit time limit effectively limits the time that a given sales thread will remain functional.

48 minutes ago, Architecht said:

Select the post and use "hide" in the controls at the bottom to hide post. There is no delete right now.

Also, you can't silently edit a post right now.

Those are things we can change, but we're trying them this way right now.

Is there a way to preview posts before posting them?  Useful to see whether image links are working.

And what happened to my favorite emoticons from the old board? :cry:

15 minutes ago, edowens71 said:

Seems like if we don't allow a long editing period, that'll make sales threads problematic...need to be able to edit posts when books sell, etc.

Also, in VCC style sales thread listings (like one I have in mixed), there is a need for editing new books for sale into existing posts. The edit time limit effectively limits the time that a given sales thread will remain functional.

And isn't the takeit emoticon missing? 

Let's see if this works :takeit:

It did! 

Edited by Sqeggs

1 minute ago, vaillant said:

Emoticons seems one of the things which work.
Editing however must be responsive in case of sales threads, I agree. :(
And a preview function is needed.

The preview is at the far left of the row when writing a reply or comment. It is a little piece of paper with a magnifying glass on it.

5 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Is there a way to preview posts before posting them?  Useful to see whether image links are working.

And what happened to my favorite emoticons from the old board? :cry:

Look at the formatting options at top. Click on magnifying glass for preview options

2 minutes ago, vaillant said:

Emoticons seems one of the things which work.
Editing however must be responsive in case of sales threads, I agree. :(
And a preview function is needed.

I only see some of the old emoticons, but apparently if you enter the code for them they are usable. :)

For the emoticons, when you click on the smiley face, a pop up shows the "Default" and some of the "Converted". In the upper right corner of that pop up, the is a pull down menu. If you switch that to "Converted", you will see all of the older emoticons.

1 minute ago, vaillant said:

Yeah, after about 5 minutes the "Edit" option will appear.

apparently, it automatically now...it will still take time for the older posts that were migrated over to become editable though. I'm waiting for that before I reopen my sales thread.

Edited by meeklo

2 hours ago, Architecht said:

I just upped it to 6 hours.

Hey Arch. 

I like the new boards! One question on the editing window....I am planning a huge sales thread for next Wed/Thurs/Fri and one of the key pieces of functionality needed is being able to edit posts as "sold" for at least a few days after they are initially posted. Any idea if the edit function will be available for that time window by next week? I have scheduled a few days off of work to do this thread, so if I need to push it back the more heads-up the better. Thanks for all the work...