That $%^&*! Pop-Up!

14 posts in this topic

Is there some way to disable the incredibly annoying pop-up window I now get on EVERY SINGLE PAGE over and over again? Screenshot attached. I imagine it may be some browser setting on my end, but I am unable to find any way to turn it off.

Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 1.29.06 PM.png

Edited by Dick Pontoon

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Dick Pontoon said:

Is there some way to disable the incredibly annoying pop-up window I now get on EVERY SINGLE PAGE over and over again? Screenshot attached. I imagine it may be some browser setting on my end, but I am unable to find any way to turn it off.

Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 1.29.06 PM.png

That is a notice from your browser. It exists because the site wants to make little pop ups for you when certain things happen (like receiving a PM, etc.).

If you use the drop down and respond either yes or no it should go away. Have you done that?

13 minutes ago, Architecht said:

That is a notice from your browser. It exists because the site wants to make little pop ups for you when certain things happen (like receiving a PM, etc.).

If you use the drop down and respond either yes or no it should go away. Have you done that?

Yessir, I select "Not now" and every time I navigate away from the page and go to a new page it comes back.  I'm using Firefox on a Mac w/ AdBlock.  I'm only medium web setting savvy and cannot figure out how to turn it off.  Clicking on "Learn more" takes me to the Mozilla page about Web Push, but that didn't sort it out either.

15 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

you may also want to check next to the envelope ( top of the page) where you will find a bell, click and edit notification settings

I did; nothing in the settings gets rid of it either.

• Administrator

I think that "not now" is expressly temporary. It literally means not right now on this page. To get it to stop you would have to decide on a more permanent yes/no. I am not sure what that option is on every browser specifically.

3 minutes ago, Architecht said:

I think that "not now" is expressly temporary. It literally means not right now on this page. To get it to stop you would have to decide on a more permanent yes/no. I am not sure what that option is on every browser specifically.

Correct. You're telling the browser, "Ask me again next time and I'll make a decision."  Just tell it not to ever ask again.

1 hour ago, Pontoon said:

Just logged in with Safari. Was asked whether to allow notifications or not, checked no, and there's no pop-up. 

That's your issue - you expressly chose no in Safari, so it won't ask again (in Safari).

Do the same thing in Firefox (instead of choosing "not now).

44 minutes ago, mschmidt said:

That's your issue - you expressly chose no in Safari, so it won't ask again (in Safari).

Do the same thing in Firefox (instead of choosing "not now).

No can do; "Not now" is the only option; no other options I've found under any preferences under any of the menus. I'll need to slog through the Mozilla page Peter posted.

7 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

follow the link I posted ( for firefox)

Thank you so much Gotham Kid!  You saved me from going postal, nuclear, and quitting CGC forever by posting this. 

Glad to see I'm not the only one.

At home on a PC using Firefox, the drop down menu gave me a choice between "not now" and "never for this site." I clicked never and bingo, no pop-up. I'll have to read through that link when I'm back at work.