• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Make the forum list more dense

Question

• Administrator

Make each item in the list of threads in a forum a little more dense / less tall so that there is less scrolling on both desktop and mobile.

Description:

When you visit a forum like Comics General, you can see a list of threads. If there is a lot of white space and/or a larger font size used on each item, then a list of 30 posts will be much longer than if there was less white space.

This is a request to adjust the layout so that each thread in the list of threads occupies less space on the screen, allowing you to see more threads at once on a single screen before scrolling.

20 answers to this question

2 minutes ago, Architecht said:

This is a change request to reduce white space and font size on the list of threads in a forum so there is less scrolling.

Are you referring to some of the board members?

• Administrator

I broke my own rule by referring to two things at once - white space and font size. I'm going to edit it to be less specific so people don't have to feel like they are explicitly voting for a font size reduction.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, JWKyle said:

The font size doesn't seem to large although if in reducing it if you can tighten up the big spaces between different lines of text then yes please tighten everything up. 

Did you see the voting controls at the top? I want to make sure people can upvote these as they like (i.e. no permission problems preventing that).

Hi Arch, sorry but this is not at all clear. I know you know what you mean, but it doesn't come across clearly to the reader exactly what is being proposed. I don't know if it's possible, but could you provide pictures which show the now and the proposed so that we can all see what we're voting for and not have to guess? 

And do we take it that it is the voting button at the top to the left of the title that is the one we should use, not those against subsequent posts?

I know you're the busiest man in forumdom at the moment, so please read this as trying to help, not heckle.

• Administrator
27 minutes ago, Dog Like Sparky said:

Hi Arch, sorry but this is not at all clear. I know you know what you mean, but it doesn't come across clearly to the reader exactly what is being proposed. I don't know if it's possible, but could you provide pictures which show the now and the proposed so that we can all see what we're voting for and not have to guess? 

And do we take it that it is the voting button at the top to the left of the title that is the one we should use, not those against subsequent posts?

I know you're the busiest man in forumdom at the moment, so please read this as trying to help, not heckle.

Yes, you should use the voting at the top of the thread page, not the ones next to the replies.

I'll try to clarify the wording above.

2 minutes ago, Architecht said:

Yes, you should use the voting at the top of the thread page, not the ones next to the replies.

I'll try to clarify the wording above.

Thanks

2 minutes ago, Dog Like Sparky said:

On the old boards there were grid lines separating the threads. If you compress the threads on the new boards by reducing the white spaces between them they may become hard to read without grid lines. So the re-introduction of grid lines might help alongside any compression / reduction of text size.

Agree. The lack of contrast between posts, threads and replies is what I find annoying. I'm in my 40's and my near sight is not what it used to be so I find it much more difficult to focus on areas that I should be focusing on. That is where the old forum's skin excelled.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

The problem is that I can also pull that number down as many times as I like thereby negating other people's votes.

Oh! That's weird. You can only upvote once. I just assumed that the same would be true of downvoting. I have turned off all of the down voting until that gets sorted out.

1 hour ago, Architecht said:

Make each item in the list of threads in a forum a little more dense / less tall so that there is less scrolling on both desktop and mobile.

Description:

When you visit a forum like Comics General, you can see a list of threads. If there is a lot of white space and/or a larger font size used on each item, then a list of 30 posts will be much longer than if there was less white space.

This is a request to adjust the layout so that each thread in the list of threads occupies less space on the screen, allowing you to see more threads at once on a single screen before scrolling.

On the old boards there were grid lines separating the threads. If you compress the threads on the new boards by reducing the white spaces between them they may become hard to read without grid lines. So the re-introduction of grid lines might help alongside any compression / reduction of text size.

56 minutes ago, Architecht said:

Did you see the voting controls at the top? I want to make sure people can upvote these as they like (i.e. no permission problems preventing that).

Arch, I see the vote. Currently sitting at '8' with my upvote. The problem is that I can also pull that number down as many times as I like thereby negating other people's votes. That vote option should only be allowed once by any single user otherwise it's open to being manipulated by unscrupulous individuals just like the old rating systems. (of which there are always a few). Maybe a poll with up or down?

I think this suggestion forum with voting is just what the doctor ordered though. Great idea.

Edited by VintageComics

5 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Arch, I see the vote. Currently sitting at '8' with my upvote. The problem is that I can also pull that number down as many times as I like thereby negating other people's votes. That vote option should only be allowed once by any single user otherwise it's open to being manipulated by unscrupulous individuals just like the old rating systems. (of which there are always a few). Maybe a poll with up or down?

I think this suggestion forum with voting is just what the doctor ordered though. Great idea.

I agree. When a Change Request is first proposed, there will be questions to clarify it's exact intention as the 3 to date have proven. Once clarified, I would be happy to see all the subsequent comments deleted and then the final agreed Change Request can be re-stated and then voted on. Apart from the first humorous one, every post I have made has been with the intention to help / clarify. But they add to the reading traffic making it harder for people to decide on voting.

I'm lost on this one. Is Arch soliciting votes? If a certain number of people agree that the change the thread is about should be made then the chances are increased that the change will be made????

Edited by Sqeggs

28 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I'm lost on this one. Is Arch soliciting votes? If a certain number of people agree that the change the thread is about should be made then the chances are increased that the change will be made????

I think Arch is soliciting both suggestions from the public on what they might want changed (with very specific thread topics of what people want changed) and then will more or less prioritize what changes and when based on votes (the more votes, the more important the community feels the change is).