• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bring back nested quotes
2 2

Question

The default now is to quote only the content of the post being replied to.  Any earlier posts that the post you are quoting quoted are not picked up.  In other words, the default is not to nest quotes as the old software did.

Roy pointed out that you can still pick up all the earlier quotes by highlighting their content first, but a) that's another (messy) step, and b) most people don't realize you can do it.

34 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

2 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

@NEWTON EINSTEIN

Can you please share with the rest of us? Thanks:)

Just highlight the entire post, including the quotes, and click on the "Quote this" pop-up. Voila!
Very easy on a real computer, with a mouse. I don't know how easy it is on a mobile device.

On 2/11/2017 at 11:29 AM, Sqeggs said:
On 2/11/2017 at 11:13 AM, edowens71 said:
On 2/10/2017 at 11:54 AM, Sqeggs said:
On 2/10/2017 at 11:48 AM, fantastic_four said:

Yea, people usually just left quote nesting in in worthless ways that wasted screen space.  I used to mostly deleted all interior quotes aside from the two most recent, i.e. the post I'm responding to and the post that one was responding to because that's usually all the context you need to understand a response.  Few people used nested quoting well.

True, but already I've encountered a number of mysterious posts where someone apparently assumed that the default of nested quoting is on and didn't realize they are only quoting the post they are replying to, so some info to make their post intelligible is missing.

It can be abused, but over in Gold land we often debate things like who did the art on a cover.  Without nested quotes, you would have to search back to find a post where the cover is shown. 

Testing the nesting

Nesting testing :)

I just did this on my IPhone, Tony!

Was not hard.

Sharon:  I hope Lazyboy's explanation worked for you.  If not, please let me know.

Edited by MusterMark
Ha

3 minutes ago, MusterMark said:

Was not hard.

3 minutes ago, MusterMark said:

Was not hard.

@MusterMark Thanks, Asif, I didn't recognize you with the new name:) glad to see you got "merged";) 

@MusterMark Thanks, Asif, I didn't recognize you in your unmerged name. Nice to see you merged:) (sounds like an episode of Star Trek;) 

I see that if you hit the + next to the quote, it says "multi quote" not sure if it said that before, but it's making more sense now.

40 minutes ago, Ghost Town said:

Nesting quotes isn't hard once you figure out how to do it. But it's kind of a mess. When there are a number of quotes, it's not easy to figure out who wrote what.  It would be helpful if the poster and their post appeared in the same box.

Yeah, that's the problem with nested quotes in general; too many quotes and/or too much text makes it difficult to easily see who wrote what. That's why I'm not in favour of automatic multi-quote/nesting.

If people would just learn to quote only what they need for context, posts with quotes would be much easier to read.

Still trying to figure this out on my phone. When I highlight the the previous board members post, it seems to attribute it to the last person that posted instead of the correct boardie. 

If I try to highlight and include the board members name, it just takes me to their profile. And when I click the + next to quote this, it doesn't give me the option to include anything besides the last post in the nested quote.

Any mobile users that can help, I'd appreciate it. 

On 2/14/2017 at 10:08 PM, skypinkblu said:

@Lazyboy  (worship)

Historically in forums I've always used quoted text to serve as an easy reference to who I'm directing a post at, but after seeing @skypinkblu use these new @username references I'm now wondering if those are a more succinct alternative to including an entire quote.  hm

• Administrator

This one isn't likely to come back as a default. I think as many people suffered from over-nesting as benefited.

There IS a way to nest a quote by highlighting everything in the post you are replying to and clicking the "quote this" pop up. Also, if you read a post that quoted one item back, you can click the swoopy arrow on quotes in the upper right to trek backwards through posts and get context.

But I haven't seen a plugin that controls this, and it would probably be a hacky customization that would have to get re-made each time the boards upgraded. So this is in the "probably not" bucket. What WOULD be cool is if we had a "quote all" versus "quote this post" kind of option rather than defaulting one way or the other.

2 2