• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

John Richard Flanagan
3 3

218 posts in this topic

On 3/13/2017 at 9:08 PM, RareHighGrade said:

How do you know this is Flanagan (not challenging, just curious)?

Look at the figure.  The face is a dead giveaway.  Compare him to the Adventure 36 and 39 figures.  Also the inking.  Who else was doing cover work for DC at that same time?  Flessel, Guardineer, O'Mealia?  There's not enough resemblance to any of them except Flessel, but Flessel has a bolder line and he signs his stuff.  Maybe I should edit together cropped images of the faces so that it is easier to see that these covers are done by the same hand.  A lot of the problem with identifying Flanagan is that there were so few comics printed with his art.  You would have to be a general paper-nerd and have a cross-collection of more than just comics to find some of his other stuff.  Check out his non-comic stuff over on Comicartfans.com (Goodhousekeeping, Blue Book, Colliers, etc). 

So I decided to edit some Flanagan stuff together for comparison.  After putting the figures onto one sheet, it struck me that maybe the vegetation is easier to see the similarities.  Maybe I'll do that next.  Trying to edit the color out of the comic covers he did in order to see the line work is really difficult!

flanagan comparison.jpg

12 hours ago, Yorick said:

So I decided to edit some Flanagan stuff together for comparison.  After putting the figures onto one sheet, it struck me that maybe the vegetation is easier to see the similarities.  Maybe I'll do that next.  Trying to edit the color out of the comic covers he did in order to see the line work is really difficult!

flanagan comparison.jpg

Boy, you really see the similarity in the chins! Nice work.

12 hours ago, Yorick said:

flanagan comparison.jpg

His work is simply spectacular. 

7 hours ago, batman_fan said:

His work is simply spectacular. 

I agree 100%!  I'd love to track down more of his pulp work, but my collecting habits have kept my attention on comic books.  If only he had done more comic covers!

All good things must come to an end.  Here is the final issue of the short but impressive Flanagan cover run.  Imagine if DC had kept the pulp artists of their initial publications to illustrate Superman and Batman covers!  Detective Comics featuring Batman by the talented hand of Leo O'Mealia?!  Superman by Flanagan?!!  What would be your dream pairing?

More Fun 48.JPG

On 4/14/2017 at 9:14 PM, Yorick said:

flanagan comparison.jpg

Where is the second drawing from?

5 hours ago, october said:

Where is the second drawing from?

Second drawing being the top center?  I cropped it out of "Fu Manchu's Daughter" from Doug Ellis' posting on Comicartfans (Colliers - May 1930).  I think he's working on a Flanagan book (which I will buy in a heartbeat).  He's the only person I know of who owns original Flanagans - and he has several.  The other two men left and right of the bottom tier are also cropped from another of Doug's postings.

20 hours ago, Yorick said:

Second drawing being the top center?  I cropped it out of "Fu Manchu's Daughter" from Doug Ellis' posting on Comicartfans (Colliers - May 1930).  I think he's working on a Flanagan book (which I will buy in a heartbeat).  He's the only person I know of who owns original Flanagans - and he has several.  The other two men left and right of the bottom tier are also cropped from another of Doug's postings.

Thanks. Will have to look them up. 

15 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

How about Adventure 38, Flanagan?

Yep!  It should be posted on page one.  The man's face on Adventure 38 is not so typical of Flanagan, but the man's shirt and background plants/vegetation give it away.