• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

John Richard Flanagan
3 3

218 posts in this topic

I am finally going to print up my current checklist.  There are about 15 members here who have commented or liked something within this thread.  I think I'll print 20 copies.  Private Message me if you'd like one.  I already know a few of you expressed some interest.

Alas, poor Yorick has not achieved a complete list, but it is something one might enjoy!  :wink:

I grabbed some affordable Colliers from feebay which recently arrived.  It's nice to have a list to work from!

Conclusion illustration to Yu'an Hee See Laughs:

Spoiler

1096337439_Scan_20220914(2)copy.thumb.jpg.13fcd9dc5c77b7c0b023e1250ea9daaa.jpg

And one can always appreciate the good Doctor making an appearance for Flit.

665683823_1931_05.16FlitDrSeuss.thumb.jpg.15abd72710c4276ba4510c8b8a62c4ad.jpg

I don't know if anyone else picked up on this, but at 7:48 in the above 1998 video that was posted in the Youtube thread, Flessel credits the Double Action 2 cover to Flanagan.  This was over 15 years before the boards "discovered" this fact in the "Tribute to Flessel" thread.  The tidbit was out there all those years, but none of us were aware of it.

Edited by RareHighGrade

On 11/25/2022 at 1:37 PM, RareHighGrade said:

I don't know if anyone else picked up on this, but at 7:48 in the above 1998 video that was posted in the Youtube thread, Flessel credits the Double Action 2 cover to Flanagan.  This was over 15 years before the boards "discovered" this fact in the "Tribute to Flessel" thread.  The tidbit was out there all those years, but none of us were aware of it.

I was reading through some archived Board posts (or all those pages of threads way back past page 5) and stumbled upon "Flanagan" in an early DC thread.  Now that we're looking, he's always been there!

On 9/19/2023 at 9:51 PM, Yorick said:

Oh my!

Adventure38cgc502023sale.thumb.jpg.63e0a5fb2365d0122e23a5a306355503.jpg

My first thought was also Oh my (actually it was Holy Moley but close enough), then I refreshed my memory by looking it up. 7 Blue's on the census. 2 5.0's, 1- 7.0 and 1- 7.5. The other 5.0 went for 12,000 on HA November 1st, 2021. Great book. 

Strange. There was a Cosmic Aeroplane 8.0 sold in 2012 on CC that is now not on the census. Unless it's now the 8.0 Qualified. Wonder what happened. 

Opera Snapshot_2023-09-19_232703_gocollect.com.png

Opera Snapshot_2023-09-19_233023_www.cgccomics.com.png

Edited by Professor K
more info added

I just received my PBA Galleries: The DC Universe Collection pt 2 catalog.  This line-up is what I've been waiting to see, and the fact that they made this catalog more of a book rather than a catalog is absolutely marvelous!  Discussions of individual books, and notes of contents...  VERY nicely done.  I may need to order the hardcover.

So...  I STILL have a beef with CGC.  Here's a break-down of the CGC Labels:  More Fun #45 has no cover credit for Flanagan, More Fun #48 states the cover is by Flessel, Adventure #36 states the cover is by Flessel, Adventure #37 correctly denotes Flanagan's cover, Adventure #38 states the cover is Flessel's, and Adventure #39 correctly indicates Flanagan's work.  2 out of 6 is not good.  Not even the Double Action #2 has a Flanagan notation.

PBA notes correctly the cover artist despite CGC's inaccuracy.  Go buy the PBA catalog - you will not be disappointed.

On 8/24/2021 at 2:33 PM, Yorick said:

I thought there might be some hint/giveaway within the image I was missing.  Most of the books on my list came from newspaper references.  Here's the full page of a 1953 article which lists authors (about mid-way down on the left column), some of which I have still not found.

Sunday_News_Sun__Mar_1__1953_.jpg

I remembered his fantastic illustrations in those books that I spent hours at my local library during my summertime while I was still in the public schools.

My understanding is that he lived in Australia and drew for the pulps and magazines exclusively. I do see him doing for the comic books occasionally but he never drew any superhero characters. He seemed that he preferred to do the illustrations of adventures, mysteries and fantasies that were for the adults. I tried to read that articles but it's hard to read. Despite he turned it down on the offer for drawing the superman, I guessed that he didn't want to do anything with the ideas of developing the superheroes that may be for the children. That was not his style.

He said it was crazy to draw the superman.  I don't blame him for not changing his style.