• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

John Richard Flanagan
3 3

218 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

:gossip: I just noticed that there's a MF 48 in the current Clink auction.  It doesn't look bad for a 3.5.

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dmore%2Bfun%26GO%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1363264&id=1363264&itemType=0

They also have a New Adventure 25 (cover by Flessel, not Flannagan), which is one of the toughest issues to find.

I DID see them both in Clink. The New Adventure is really tough to find. The More Fun 48 I've seen several of lately. If you have the time, a New Adventure 26 in 5.0 universal ended on eBay today for $7600. It's worth checking out! VERY tough Flessel cover book!!!

Edited by Frisco Larson

On 12/2/2019 at 9:47 AM, aardvark88 said:

Anyone know if Flanagan drew any interiors for GA DC comics? o.O

With the limited cover work he did, I don't think he was fast enough to perform interior illustration.  With his pulp work, he simply had to do spot illustrations for the walls of text.

4 hours ago, Frisco Larson said:

Happy to win this gem last night!!! Shocked I was able to win both Flanagan More Funs in one weeks space of time. :whatthe: Now I suppose I better start looking for Adventure 36-39 :ohnoez:

More Fun 48 3.5 c-ow front.jpg

I wanted to go after it... but I have one.

The Label is wrong.

1 hour ago, Yorick said:

I wanted to go after it... but I have one.

The Label is wrong.

Thank you for not pushing the price higher (thumbsu It's a great book! I sold a blue label 2.0 to a friend around 5 years ago. He had me crack it out for him, which gave me the opportunity to thumb it up. One of the best adventure themed More Fun covers in my opinion. 42-48 are all very solid but I suppose I'd eventually like to have 42-51. 51 is a great Moldoff cover. 49 looks like Guardineer to me but I don't see a signature on it. 

6 hours ago, Yorick said:

I don't remember where I found this scan/photo, but looking at it again reminds me of the Adventure 39 cover.  Look at those background elements.

19_richardflanigan.jpg

Perhaps Major Nicholson wouldn't have gotten into financial trouble if Flanigan drew more covers for him. hm

Edited by adamstrange

1 hour ago, Yorick said:

With some pushing and prodding (not by me) I made a multi-part deal that allowed me to upgrade my Adventure 39 (thanks guys!).  Here's a new group shot of all the DC Flanagan covers (with the exception of Double Action, of course).

100_1057.JPG

(thumbsu 

17 hours ago, mwotka said:

Did you all see the John Richard Flanagan original art that sold in the Heritage Auction ending March 7th?  It was some really amazing stuff.  I think these are all from a Fu Manchu story in Colliers.  Didn't score any but wish I did.

Oh yes.  I did indeed see these.  I was victorious on only one, but HA also had other Flanagan work which they did not (could not) attribute to Flanagan.  I posted one of the others in the Pulp thread in hope of an identification.

These are the first public auctions of his work that I am aware of.  What is amazing is that they have more.  One piece ended last Monday in their weekly auctions (relatively cheap), and another is coming.  I feel that the last piece they auctioned Monday (see below) ended for much less than the first four because the other Flanagan nuts (such as myself) may believe this is only the tip of the iceberg.  It kinda sucks to be that first data-point sale and then find out that there is more coming.

However, when the art arrived this last week, all of my worries regarding the price quickly disappeared.  Truly museum worthy pen work.

Flanagan Blue Book no date.jpg

Holy cow, this guy is phenomenal. I hope more OA turns up and that eventually it will lead to a book. I can't believe somebody this good has been forgotten.

What a shame that he did so few covers for comics. That's what I hate about the comic book publishers' mentality. It was just an assembly line to them and it didn't matter if the artist was really, really good (like Flanagan). The non-superhero covers to the early DC comics by Flanagan, Flessel, Guardineer, and O'Mealia are some of my favorite graphics of all time. 

Edited by Sarg
space issue