• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

John Richard Flanagan
3 3

218 posts in this topic

44 minutes ago, RareHighGrade said:

The detail in that drawing is exquisite.  And I love the signature, which is absent from his few comic covers.

I don't think I've ever seen a Flanagan signature on his work. 

2 hours ago, Sarg said:

I got a fever ... and the only prescription ... is MORE FLANAGAN!

Collier's, June 4, 1932. 

So nice to see good pulp illustrations printed on high quality paper instead of the usual junk.

maskfumanchu.jpeg

fu.jpeg

It would have been interesting to see Flanagan do the cover to Tec 18 (Flessel), and I do love the Flessel work on the 18 as is. 

1 hour ago, Primetime said:

It would have been interesting to see Flanagan do the cover to Tec 18 (Flessel), and I do love the Flessel work on the 18 as is. 

I was thinking the same thing. Flessel is great, but Flangan is the man when it comes to Fu Manchu.

20 hours ago, Sarg said:

I got a fever ... and the only prescription ... is MORE FLANAGAN!

Collier's, June 4, 1932. 

So nice to see good pulp illustrations printed on high quality paper instead of the usual junk.

collierscover.jpeg

There was a very nice lot of these on feebay that ended a few days ago.  Looked like it included several Sax Rohmer issues.  Yes, that LARGE glossy paper is so satisfying for viewing the art.  Now, where and how do I store these things?!! ;)

I was reading Windy City Pulp Stories #11 last night when I came across this nugget of information: "Popular Publications even went so far in its imitation of Fu Manchu as to hiring John Richard Flanagan, artist for the original Fu Manchu stories appearing during the 1920s in Collier's, to illustrate its pulp stories of Wu Fang."

Altus Press (now called Steeger Books) has recently reprinted the Wu Fang pulps in paperback size with the original cover art and interior illustrations. Neither the cover artist (Jerome Rozen) or interior artist is credited. 

I have two of these reprints. #1 (Case of the Six Coffins) is definitely Flanagan, which I was delighted to discover. The other one I have, #4, is a different, inferior artist. Does anyone have #2 or #3? Do they have Flanagan interiors?

IMG_0624.jpeg

IMG_0625.jpeg

IMG_0626.jpeg

Edited by Sarg
corrected cover arist

21 minutes ago, Frisco Larson said:

I am still and will forever BE grateful to Flessel for shedding light on and sharing the name of the artist who drew those spectacular unidentified DC covers, John Richard Flanagan! 

Without Flessel's memory, the unsigned DC covers by Flanagan would probably be forever unknown. Nobody associated his name with comics. 

2 hours ago, Sarg said:

Without Flessel's memory, the unsigned DC covers by Flanagan would probably be forever unknown. Nobody associated his name with comics. 

Agreed! And as much as I'd like to be more skilled in the area, I'm not proficient enough to readily identify a lot of artwork merely be seeing or comparing it. Some, like Ditko, Kirby & Everett I'm pretty decent at, but anyone more obscure, totally lost. Some of the posts in this thread have gotten me interested in the magazines that feature Flanagan's artwork, so thanks to all who've taken the time to share them here! (thumbsu

9 hours ago, Sarg said:

I have two of these reprints.

How detailed are the reproductions?  From the posted images, it appears that a lot of the delicate linework is lost.  I think I saw a few of the original pulps in the Pulp Thread.  I'll go back and check...

54 minutes ago, Yorick said:

How detailed are the reproductions?  From the posted images, it appears that a lot of the delicate linework is lost.  I think I saw a few of the original pulps in the Pulp Thread.  I'll go back and check...

As good as can be expected, considering they are scanned from the pulp. At least they're printed on better paper now. 

5 hours ago, Sarg said:

Arthur L. Guptill's book Drawing with Pen and Ink

I probably should have noted that!  Copies on feebay are reasonably priced, especially when you don't care if there is a dust jacket!

I absolutely love how he does those "filled" backgrounds.  On the bottom of your "White Princess", Guptill notes that the work is on scratch board.  I wonder if all those little white spots on the black are chiseled out?

12 minutes ago, RareHighGrade said:

The magazine drawings being posted in this thread are amazing; they actually make his comic book covers seem pedestrian by comparison.

He drew some superb interiors that were hidden behind rather pedestrian covers draw by lesser artists, Flessel excluded.

13 minutes ago, RareHighGrade said:

Did he do comic book interiors?  If so, I'd love to see some examples.

Ouch.  Got him mixed up with Leo O'Mealia. :boo:

22 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

Did he do comic book interiors?  If so, I'd love to see some examples.

I have not found any.... yet.  His pulp work gets very close.  He was doing quite a bit of spot illustrations for some stories, almost on the verge of an illustration per page of text.

I think he decided to lessen the amount of effort he put into his work when moved away from Colliers.  The pulps reproduced his art at a much smaller scale and with less resolution.