• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

John Richard Flanagan
3 3

218 posts in this topic

It has probably been covered here before, but since I am new to the Boards and did not want to review the thousands of prior postings....

WHY IS JOHN RICHARD FLANAGAN NOT GETTING CREDIT FOR HIS DC COMICS WORK?  And subsequently, how do I go about changing that?

Here is a list of issues that I attribute to Flanagan:

Adventure Comics #36, #37, #38, #39

Double Action Comics #2

More Fun Comics #45, #48

Original art collector Doug Ellis has some incredible Flanagan originals posted on ComicArtFans.  When comparing those to the DC cover work listed above, how can anyone attribute these comics to another artist?

Oh, and if you have a copy of any of the above comics, please post a picture!  I can look at Flanagan art all day long!

14 hours ago, Yorick said:

It has probably been covered here before, but since I am new to the Boards and did not want to review the thousands of prior postings....

WHY IS JOHN RICHARD FLANAGAN NOT GETTING CREDIT FOR HIS DC COMICS WORK?  And subsequently, how do I go about changing that?

Here is a list of issues that I attribute to Flanagan:

Adventure Comics #36, #37, #38, #39

Double Action Comics #2

More Fun Comics #45, #48

Original art collector Doug Ellis has some incredible Flanagan originals posted on ComicArtFans.  When comparing those to the DC cover work listed above, how can anyone attribute these comics to another artist?

Oh, and if you have a copy of any of the above comics, please post a picture!  I can look at Flanagan art all day long!

I suppose the two places that people tend to check for artist credits are the Overstreet guide and GCD.  You can always write to Overstreet -- although responses are often spotty, to say the least.  I'm not sure how you would go about adding an artist credit to GCD (or disputing an existing credit).  Maybe they have some info on the site. 

On 2/11/2017 at 8:27 AM, Sqeggs said:

I suppose the two places that people tend to check for artist credits are the Overstreet guide and GCD.  You can always write to Overstreet -- although responses are often spotty, to say the least.  I'm not sure how you would go about adding an artist credit to GCD (or disputing an existing credit).  Maybe they have some info on the site. 

I think I should probably start with GCD.  That site is my "go-to" when I want to look up any comics.

Here's the first issue I listed:

100_0588 (600x800).jpg

22 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

Perhaps Omelia's early work in Action Comics on the adventure tale with airplane was patterned after John R. Flanagan. Love it. :x

I am a huge O'Mealia fans as well, but I'm not sure what you are referencing.  Which Action issue?

19 hours ago, Frisco Larson said:

I had wondered about a few issues of More Fun being Flanagan as well. I have a rough copy of the next issue, which I will post.

adventure%2037%20front%202_zpscxxjnbrg.j

Rough, but oh so beautiful!!!

Just now, Yorick said:
19 hours ago, Frisco Larson said:

I had wondered about a few issues of More Fun being Flanagan as well. I have a rough copy of the next issue, which I will post.

adventure%2037%20front%202_zpscxxjnbrg.j

Rough, but oh so beautiful!!!

Also used as the cover for Double Action 2.

I may as well post the Double Action.  These are NOT from my collection.  I downloaded this image from the Dec. 2016 Comicconnect auction.  It'll be the closest I ever get to them.  :(

The #1 shark cover is pure O'Mealia (published in color for Adventure Comics #41`)

Double Action Comicconnect Dec 2016.jpg

22 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

Perhaps Omelia's early work in Action Comics on the adventure tale with airplane was patterned after John R. Flanagan. Love it. :x

27 minutes ago, Yorick said:

I am a huge O'Mealia fans as well, but I'm not sure what you are referencing.  Which Action issue?

My mistake, I get it now.  Action Comics #2!  My favorite comic!!  Yes, there does appear to be some cross-over influence.  At least O'Mealia signed his work.

The subject matter of this thread is an example of what's great about these Boards.  The disclosure that Flanagan was the artist behind these jungle-themed covers was first made several years ago in a GA forum thread about Creig Flessel.  As a follow-up to issues discussed in that thread, board member FFB located Flessel, showed him the Adventure 37 cover, and asked him whether he drew it.  Flessel took one look at the cover and said "That's John Richard Flanagan's work."  The GCD and other authoritative sources have since acknowledged the attribution.

16 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

The subject matter of this thread is an example of what's great about these Boards.  The disclosure that Flanagan was the artist behind these jungle-themed covers was first made several years ago in a GA forum thread about Creig Flessel.  As a follow-up to issues discussed in that thread, board member FFB located Flessel, showed him the Adventure 37 cover, and asked him whether he drew it.  Flessel took one look at the cover and said "That's John Richard Flanagan's work."  The GCD and other authoritative sources have since acknowledged the attribution.

I had heard something along those lines, but my information was all second-hand.  I also heard that Mr. Flessel claimed credit for those More Fun issues.

Is "FFB" his/her profile name?  I'd like to find that old posting.