• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

John Richard Flanagan
3 3

218 posts in this topic

On 10/25/2021 at 3:23 PM, RareHighGrade said:

For the record, I don't recall that Flessel specifically said that Adventure 38 is Flanagan.  And although it is a "jungle cover," the Adventure 38 art does look distinct from other covers that are attributed to Flanagan, such as Adventures 37 and 39.

Are you on the fence regarding the Flanagan attribution?  The shading of facial features in the figure of Adventure 38 is something Flanagan had done before.  Here's an example from 1929.

The Day The World Ended 1929.jpg

On 10/25/2021 at 3:23 PM, RareHighGrade said:

I don't recall that Flessel specifically said that Adventure 38 is Flanagan.  And although it is a "jungle cover," the Adventure 38 art does look distinct from other covers that are attributed to Flanagan, such as Adventures 37 and 39.

The foliage on Adv. Comics 38 cover looks like Flanagan's style compared to Adv. Comics 39.

Edited by aardvark88
sp.

On 10/25/2021 at 2:13 PM, RareHighGrade said:

a very sharp Adventure 38 will be coming up on Heritage

On 10/25/2021 at 2:16 PM, RareHighGrade said:

As well as a lower grade Adv. 39 that looks nice for its grade.

Those both went a bit higher than I expected.  I had a hope of maybe throwing down a bid on the 38, but as soon as the live bidding started... it was over.  :cry:

At least HA recognizes the proper artistic attribution rather than what the label's stated.

On 10/31/2021 at 6:40 PM, RareHighGrade said:

Adv. 38 - $12,000; Adv. 39 - $3,840.  :whatthe: 

These are record prices that far exceed previous sales.

Certainly more than I figured they'd end at. They ARE two of the more desirable covers though. Issues #23 - 39 are where the humor covers disappear and are replaced by the adventure themed covers and the prices paid really reflect that. This level of money being paid MAY have something to do with the recent availability of quite a few on the market recently. In a few month period, Heritage themselves have offered nearly a dozen Adventure & New Adventure issues, more than I've seen available at one time in a LONG time. Low census numbers and a growing desire for true rarity are shooting these books upward into the pre hero Detective territory. I guess they couldn't remain inexpensive forever ....

On 11/2/2021 at 10:57 AM, RareHighGrade said:

Just goes to show that the current soaring market is affecting all genres and not just the Promising ones.

The other early DCs they had (an extensively restored New Adventure and a restored More Fun) ALSO brought strong bids. 

On 11/2/2021 at 10:00 AM, Frisco Larson said:

The other early DCs they had (an extensively restored New Adventure and a restored More Fun) ALSO brought strong bids. 

I thought I might be able to grab the restored 1.8 More Fun 18 that previously sold for around $250.  I guess people know what's inside those....

On 11/2/2021 at 11:07 AM, Yorick said:

I thought I might be able to grab the restored 1.8 More Fun 18 that previously sold for around $250.  I guess people know what's inside those....

Are you referring to a S&S Superman tryout in the Dr. Occult story?  I don't believe those went past issue no. 17.

On 11/2/2021 at 5:37 PM, RareHighGrade said:

Are you referring to a S&S Superman tryout in the Dr. Occult story?  I don't believe those went past issue no. 17.

Although I like Dr Occult, I'm more interested in the fantastic interior artwork by Leo O'Mealia.  MF18 didn't have a very good scan in the "DC Before Superman" book.

On 11/2/2021 at 2:07 PM, Yorick said:

Alas, poor Yorick, he missed out on his book!

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

Great thread! It looks like Flanagan's finest work was was outside of the comic industry, but of his comic book covers, I think like the More Fun 45 the best.