What is the "Status" in Profile all about?
1 1

11 posts in this topic

When I'm logged in and I click on my Profile, and then click Edit, there is a Status slider (enable status updates) that is colored red.

I slid it to the right, it became green, and then I saved my Profile changes.

Then I noticed at the top of my Activity in my Profile, a box that reads, "Write a public message on your own feed…"

What is this all about?  Own feed?  Feed to where?  Feed from where?  Where is what is typed in that "feed window" seen?

Who sees that?

I have no idea what it's for but I just turned mine on and added a bunch of smileys to it.  Then I clicked on activity feeds and saw it as an update (not sure if it's visible to me only or everyone (shrug) )  It almost looks like a linkedin or facebook thing...I don't use the latter and I haven't used linkedin much since they changed their format.

Ok, bababooey, I clicked on your profile, and right now my status is "red," so "off."

On your profile page, I now see a window at the top of your activity, and in the window is "Write a public message on Bababooey's feed…"

Then, as I look down in your activity, 2 posts below is your avatar as usual, but a head and shoulders icon can be seen overlaid, and when I drag my cursor over it, it says Status Update.

To the right of all that are a ton of smileys, all different types.

And there is a little window there below the smileys, and I can see my avatar in the window and the window says, "Reply to this status…"

Want me to reply something?

16 minutes ago, USAuPzlBxBob said:

Want me to reply something?

No, that's ok...I turned it off...:P

Apparently that status update is just like personal announcement thing, for me it just looks like any other post in my activity feed.  When I did the status update I loaded smileys, hoping I could easily retrieve them, I also played with adding pics - when you say head & shoulders, you mean my Dilbert/Topper pic, right?1415.strip.gif.20e8a46f12e1df9c023588c92c968f29.gif

No, the "head and shoulders" icon was like the "comic-book-people-talking" icon that you see on member's avatars, when they have made a reply.  But it said Status Update to identify the type of activity it was when my cursor was dragged over it.

Ok, so the Status Update thing makes sense to me now.

It is a personal announcement feature, like "Ran into Chuck Norris at the gas station."

And it would be an Activity, so if you were following along on "All Activity" you would see that personal announcement come up, and you could reply right into that Status Update window, like with "Cool! :grin:," and that would generate more activity, and the Status Update would keep appearing anew, and growing in size with comments, and where that would end, I don't know.  But I'm leaving mine off, too, until I know more.

7 minutes ago, bababooey said:

Cool !  You lost me with that comic book people talking description for a word balloon...lol

Yes, word balloon!  If you get a chance, turn your Status Update "On" again, see if your smileys are still there.
In other words, can you get rid of Status Update info simply by turning it off, and then it resets to nothing, so that you start with a clean slate later?

9 minutes ago, USAuPzlBxBob said:

Yes, word balloon!  If you get a chance, turn your Status Update "On" again, see if your smileys are still there.
In other words, can you get rid of Status Update info simply by turning it off, and then it resets to nothing, so that you start with a clean slate later?

I went in to try this and realized I must not have 'saved' when I turned it off last time doh! it was still on, now it's off.   The "smiley status" update is just drifting down my activity feed (if you go in my profile and click that) with newer posts above it.

Edited by bababooey

Ok, I looked at your profile for activity, as well as All Activity in the Activity Header drop-down, and your Status Update that had been there is now gone entirely just by you turning it off.
It's like those smileys never even happened.

So, that sort of explains it, and it probably resets to nothing so that it can convey recent status, or…an "update" on recent status.

Thanks.