Loading Speed..Will It Improve?
2 2

40 posts in this topic

@Architecht Loading times seem to be significantly slower than old boards, even more so on my iphone.  Will this improve?

Edited by GACollectibles

• Administrator

Hm.

I haven't experienced that myself, although every now and then I will see a spike of slowness, it has been a random server load issue rather than directly related to any single type of page.

There are a few things in the short term that impact performance:

1. The boards are still re-indexing old posts as part of the migration, so that's a continual drain on resources
  2. We are still in a single combined instance. As we completely finish migration, the NGC and PMG posts and users will move off to their own instance, and that will reduce both server load and database size

On a more permanent basis - the re-indexing of posts that HAS been completed means that searches on the site are searching a greater and greater number of posts rather than only having a few that can be searched. This will have the effect of making searches more draining on server resources. We saw that on the old boards, that searches when sufficiently broad would bog down the server AND take forever. This software seems much more efficient than the old software, but it's still possible that it's an issue given the size of our database.

The splitting into 3 instances will help the search performance somewhat even if it is still a bottleneck.

@Architecht

I'm on Chrome, using a pc. Loading pms is pretty dreadful.

That nice pop up window shows up and says you have a pm, sometimes when I click on it nothing happens, sometimes it shows the pm list. When I try clicking on one of the pms I want to see, nothing happens. When I try clicking on the bars at the bottoms (see pm list) I get to watch it load. I've even tossed in a load of laundry and come back to see it still loading.

When I click on the side list of pms (the one on the left) nothing happens, I shouldn't say that...SOMETIMES something happens.

It looks really nice and organized, but there is some kind of glitch.

Same when I click on a user name to see if I can find their posts...nothing happens.

I wanted to add Gacollectibles to this answer but it's not working.

14 minutes ago, Architecht said:

@skypinkblu @GACollectibles

Is performance ALWAYS slow for you or just periodically? Your posts make it sound like every page load is slow, but that has not been the general experience.

I just tried to load a large PM and quit waiting for it after two minutes.

@Architecht @GACollectiblesIt's not loading everything that is slow, just the PMs. I don't know if slow is the answer, I'd say mostly non responsive, I click and click and nothing happens. I have to back out and try again. Most of the time when I click on the "show all pms" it never stops showing the lines (the loading thing).

It's more like it has worked OCCASSIONALLY, but not often, most of the times I click on a PM in the side  list and nothing happens at all.

Right now, since I am getting my pms in my emails finally, I'm just waiting until I have some time to wait, before I try and answer them.

I'm not having this issue with the rest of the boards, I can see threads without a problem. I did get one time out message for the boards, but that was only  one during more than a week.

12 minutes ago, Architecht said:

@skypinkblu @GACollectibles

Is performance ALWAYS slow for you or just periodically? Your posts make it sound like every page load is slow, but that has not been the general experience.

PM loading is inconsistent, ususally some sort of slow.  Right now I opened a new tab in Firefox, clicked on the inbox preview and gave up after 30 seconds, it can be as fast as 2-3 seconds but probably averages 5 or more.  I then stopped, clicked on Go To Inbox instead and again gave up after 30 seconds(though it finally opened at some point while I was typing this).  Clicked on a PM in my Inbox and still waiting for it to open after 1 1/2 minutes(actually now more than double that and still not open).

In Chrome just waited over 30 seconds(and gave up) on the Inbox preview, hit refresh and Go To Inbox, now getting nothing in my PMs to open.

in both browsers I can click on home and it goes there quick, can't open up threads right now in Chrome, a 4-6 second lag on Firefox but able to open this thread.

Aaaaaaand just got hit with a Error 524 on Chrome.

Man, I miss my Zlib being enabled. :(

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, GACollectibles said:

PM loading is inconsistent, ususally some sort of slow.  Right now I opened a new tab in Firefox, clicked on the inbox preview and gave up after 30 seconds, it can be as fast as 2-3 seconds but probably averages 5 or more.  I then stopped, clicked on Go To Inbox instead and again gave up after 30 seconds(though it finally opened at some point while I was typing this).  Clicked on a PM in my Inbox and still waiting for it to open after 1 1/2 minutes(actually now more than double that and still not open).

In Chrome just waited over 30 seconds(and gave up) on the Inbox preview, hit refresh and Go To Inbox, now getting nothing in my PMs to open.

in both browsers I can click on home and it goes there quick, can't open up threads right now in Chrome, a 4-6 second lag on Firefox but able to open this thread.

I think these issues are just due to an infrastructure problem that Invision has been having since yesterday. For about 1 to 1.5 days I have seen these periodic slow downs. For me, it's not consistent at all. Sometimes the boards are fast, sometimes it hits a big slow down.

They posted this on their site yesterday when I filed a support request over the timeouts (which were particularly bad yesterday around 11:30am central time).

Community in the Cloud Outage 
We are currently experiencing an issue affecting a small number of community in the cloud sites, our team is working on this and we should have this corrected very soon, thank you for your patience in this matter.

I think things will settle out as they finish addressing whatever the root cause is.

Also, we're using a CDN that should be gzipping / zlib compressing things that are appropriate.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, GACollectibles said:

I think these issues are just due to an infrastructure problem that Invision has been having since yesterday. For about 1 to 1.5 days I have seen these periodic slow downs. For me, it's not consistent at all. Sometimes the boards are fast, sometimes it hits a big slow down.

They posted this on their site yesterday when I filed a support request over the timeouts (which were particularly bad yesterday around 11:30am central time).

Community in the Cloud Outage 
We are currently experiencing an issue affecting a small number of community in the cloud sites, our team is working on this and we should have this corrected very soon, thank you for your patience in this matter.

I think things will settle out as they finish addressing whatever the root cause is.

Also, we're using a CDN that should be gzipping / zlib compressing things that are appropriate.

9 minutes ago, Architecht said:

Right now I can't into PMs at all (either browser), can get in here but can't get to Comics General.