• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE SUICIDE SQUAD directed by James Gunn (2021)
3 3

803 posts in this topic

Margot Robbie Confirms Harley Quinn Role Next Year

margot-robbie-harley-quinn-confirmed-sui

The actor finally confirmed that she'll be reprising her role as the psychologist-turned-psycho criminal in a production next year, stopping shy of revealing what movie she's appearing in.

Robbie confirmed the news on Variety's "Actors on Actors," alongside Jake Gyllenhaal. The episode is scheduled to debut on January 2.

Rumors about Suicide Squad 2 starting production in 2018 have been floating around for a few months now, especially in the wake of the project securing The Accountant director Gavin O'Connor.

O'Connor will be writing and directing the film, though Warner Bros. has yet to confirm the 2018 start date. However, with Robbie's recent comments it's probably a safe guess that's where Harley Quinn will pop up next.

'Suicide Squad 2' Gains New Producer, Starts Production In Fall

The Suicide Squad sequel has reportedly brought on Michael De Luca to produce it according to Variety's sources, and it signifies a change in approach to previous films. Producers Charles Roven and Zack Snyder were responsible for overseeing multiple films, but De Luca will evidently just be responsible for Suicide Squad 2.

There isn't much else known about the project, save for that Gavin O'Connor is writing and directing it. It is mentioned however that it is one of two DC properties beginning production next year, the other of which is the Zachary Levi starring Shazam! project. As for Suicide Squad 2, some of the cast is expected to reprise their roles.

'Suicide Squad 2': Will Smith, Margot Robbie, and Jared Leto Reportedly Returning

A new report detailing the creative changes happening with DC Films' Suicide Squad 2 also seems to provide some major casting confirmations. In Variety's report that producer Michael De Luca has stepped in to handle the Suicide Squad sequel, we also get the following:

"Gavin O’Connor is on board to write and direct the sequel to “Suicide Squad,” which stars Will Smith, Margot Robbie, and Jared Leto."

While Will Smith and Margot Robbie's returns were all but certain, the announcement of Leto returning as The Joker is a confirmation that DC Films fans had been waiting for. Robbie had recently teased that she'd be suiting up again as Harley Quinn this year - but never revealed whether it was for Suicide Squad 2 or one of her "in development" Harley Quinn spinoffs, which include a Joker/Harley film and a Gotham City Sirens movie with original Suicide Squad director, David Ayer.

Just have no interest in this film at all. The first one was just terrible IMO. One of the only super hero films I have seen to date that I truly struggled to get through at the theatre. I literally contemplated walking out about 3/4 through. I honestly can't think of a single redeeming quality of this film. 

6 hours ago, OrangeCrush said:

Just have no interest in this film at all. The first one was just terrible IMO. One of the only super hero films I have seen to date that I truly struggled to get through at the theatre. I literally contemplated walking out about 3/4 through. I honestly can't think of a single redeeming quality of this film. 

My thoughts exactly.

17 hours ago, OrangeCrush said:

it ended

Rumor: Ben Affleck may be in ‘Suicide Squad 2’ for his last Batman appearance

Ben Affleck has one movie left on his Batman contract and has expressed interest in finding a “graceful and cool way” to exit the the role. The latest rumors suggested that he would appear in Flashpoint, however the future of that movie is up in the air after Justice League’s poor performance at the box office.

One movie that’s definitely happening (and just got a new producer this week) is Suicide Squad 2. According to Batman-On-Film, there’s a chance that Affleck’s final time as Batman will be in that movie. BOF doesn’t seem to have a lot of confidence in their source, so take this rumor with a grain of salt for now.

Affleck won’t be starring in Matt Reeves’ Batman movie, as reported by Variety and backed up by the news that Reeves is meeting with potential Batman actors like Jake Gyllenhaal.

20 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Wow, that would be really disappointing and kinda surprising as he hasn't even had a solo film yet with the role. One would think he would want to do at least one Batman film. 

On 1/11/2018 at 8:30 PM, OrangeCrush said:

Although the movie was a mess in certain spots, there were scenes that on their own entertaining or interesting.

- Deadshot at the qualification range.

- Katana taking down the Yakuza that murdered her husband.

- Some of the Joker-Harley Quinn scenes (especially in the Extended Cut).

- The coldness of Amanda Waller on display a number of times.

So I wouldn't say the entire movie was a bust. It's the potential that was there which David Ayer missed that turns into the bummer. With the new creative crew, hopefully the lessons learned of putting more effort into character development pays off.

On 1/14/2018 at 5:05 PM, Bosco685 said:

Although the movie was a mess in certain spots, there were scenes that on their own entertaining or interesting.

- Deadshot at the qualification range.

- Katana taking down the Yakuza that murdered her husband.

- Some of the Joker-Harley Quinn scenes (especially in the Extended Cut).

- The coldness of Amanda Waller on display a number of times.

So I wouldn't say the entire movie was a bust. It's the potential that was there which David Ayer missed that turns into the bummer. With the new creative crew, hopefully the lessons learned of putting more effort into character development pays off.

Just gotta agree to disagree on this one. I absolutely hated this rendition of Harley Quinn so I didn't find any of her scenes redeeming in regards to the overall quality of the film and I feel the same way about Joker. I put Leto's joker on the same level as Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor. Just terrible renditions of the characters IMO. Both were like nails on a chalkboard for me. And I thought Katana's character was awful as well. She was one dimensional with just no depth to the character at all. Again, at least for me, Suicide Squad was not only one of the worst super hero films I have seen to date, it was also one of the only films I have seen to date that I had a hard time finishing. I really wanted to leave half way through and I can count on one hand the number of films I have seen in my lifetime where I legitimately wanted to leave before the film was finished. 

1 hour ago, OrangeCrush said:

Just gotta agree to disagree on this one. I absolutely hated this rendition of Harley Quinn so I didn't find any of her scenes redeeming in regards to the overall quality of the film and I feel the same way about Joker. I put Leto's joker on the same level as Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor. Just terrible renditions of the characters IMO. Both were like nails on a chalkboard for me. And I thought Katana's character was awful as well. She was one dimensional with just no depth to the character at all. Again, at least for me, Suicide Squad was not only one of the worst super hero films I have seen to date, it was also one of the only films I have seen to date that I had a hard time finishing. I really wanted to leave half way through and I can count on one hand the number of films I have seen in my lifetime where I legitimately wanted to leave before the film was finished. 

Totally respect your opinion. If you didn't like it, that's your experience. I found some joy in it. But also recognize it could have been SO much better, with a well-crafted story and villain. David Ayer missed the mark on that for sure.

RUMOR: Is SUICIDE SQUAD 2 Coming Sooner Than We Think?

A few weeks ago, Robbie mentioned in an interview with Collider that she thinks she’ll be back in fishnets “quite soon.”

Now, she makes sure to couch those expectations by saying she “hopes” it’s this year, and she points out that it tends to take longer to get these movies made because of all of the moving parts, but that doesn’t mean the film is far off. As of now, the big issue is Will Smith. He’s working on Ang Lee’s Gemini Man, and it’s been reported that he won’t be free until July, which is why Suicide Squad 2 was pushed to the fall.

But here’s the thing about that: Will Smith’s Deadshot wears a mask, which gives the production some flexibility to shoot certain things- including large scale action sequences- using a body double. This means they can get started without him, and simply save his more significant, unmasked sequences for once the actor is free.

With so much of the discussion about Suicide Squad 2 centering on Harley Quinn and the possibility that this will be Ben Affleck’s final appearance as Batman, what’s to say Deadshot is even going to be a major focal point anyway?

The bottom line is that DC is preparing to make some blockbuster announcements soon regarding its official slate, and a 2019 release date for Suicide Squad could be one of them. After all, 2019 will be Batman’s 80th Anniversary, and it’d be a shame to not have a single Bat-centric film come out on such a significant year for the character. To hit that, though, the production is likely going to have to start much sooner than October. Kinnaman’s post and Robbie’s talk of how “soon” her return to Harley will be seem to indicate this will be the case.

And it wouldn’t exactly be a rushed production, since O’Connor has been working on the film since September. So starting in the spring wouldn’t put the project under any kind of unnecessary pressure. Right now, with Shazam! arriving in April of next year, and Wonder Woman 2 in November of next year, that leaves a summer release for Suicide Squad 2 right within the realm of possibility. Remember, the first one came out on on August 5, 2016.

'Suicide Squad 2' Is A Big Priority At Warner Bros. According To Joel Kinnaman

suicide-squad-joel-kinnaman-behind-scene

Franchise star Joel Kinnaman is here to tell you it's still very much a priority at Warner Bros. Pictures.

"I just know that they are working intensely on it," Kinnaman told Collider, indicating that he did not know when they would start filming. "I know it’s a big priority at Warner Bros., but it’s an equally big priority to get it right. We all felt that we had lightning in a bottle, in a way, and it partly got away from us, a little bit. It’s really important to harness everything that was great about it, and then fix what didn’t really work. So, I know they’re working on it, and we’ll see. I’m very excited to read something, but I don’t have any new information."

Kinnaman is currently starring in Altered Carbon, a dystopian sci-fi series on Netflix which also features (among others) Riverdale actress Hayley Law. During interviews in support of the new series, the actor has acknowledged that Suicide Squad was not 100% the movie they set out to make, but that he has confidence the sequel can draw from the first movie's strengths and move forward.

'Suicide Squad 2' To Reportedly Film In The UK In The Fall

The Gavin O'Connor directed sequel will be heading overseas for a production start sometime in October, according to Omega Underground. It may or may not be shot in the same Leavesden, England Warner Brothers studio as Justice League, where "Wonder Woman 2 looks to be the next DC project to film there."

The film's cast has not been officially finalized but Will Smith is tied to Gemini Man until late July and Margot Robbie will be working on Once Upon A Time In Hollywood with Quentin Tarantino throughout the summer. Rumors have swirled about Dwayne Johnson making his DC Films debut as Black Adam in the title but Shazam! will arrive in theaters well before Suicide Squad 2, offering the character another opportunity to appear on the big screen.

Joel Kinnaman, Jay Hernandez, and Jai Courtney were recently spotted working out together, prompting expectations of their return to the franchise as Rick Flag, El Diablo, and Captain Boomerang, respectively. "I think when we do the second one I wouldn’t be surprised if we saw a more grounded version of the film," Kinnaman recently told Yahoo. "The characters are so extreme it could be more effective if we saw less sorcery. I think the characters become more extreme if you see them in conjunction with real people.”

Suicide Squad 2 does not yet have an official production start date or theatrical release date.