• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Get rid of the "Like" button.
1 1

Question

134 answers to this question

7 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

The problem with the "Like" button is that it only tells half of the story. I can only imagine what would happen if we had a "Hate" button

hm

It's interesting, I read RMA's post about how people who disagree with him, like the posts of others who disagree with him and how awful that is, yet I look at your post and see a few people who agree with your agreement of him, liking your post and that is FINE.

I've never done facebook, I have no interest in joining, but this all seems so childish, just use the damned button if you feel like it and don't if you don't. The drama lately from some people picking apart every sentence, every possible motive, every word and assigning all these interpretations to them is getting ridiculous. Bashing things because they are not the same, not perfect, is just giving me a headache. It's certainly not the way to make stuff work better.

This is a comic book chatboard, right? Not the Festivus board. 

We aren't discussing the fate of the nation and the root of all evil...or at least I hope we aren't.

Hate is a very strong term. People who hate it here and post, seriously need to take a look at how they are spending their lives and why.

My vote on the "like button" is, I don't care either either way, I see pluses and minus's. 

The biggest minus seems to be possible hurt egos. 

My biggest plus so far, is I can agree with someone by just hitting a button and not having to quote them and write out "+1", the problem is, either way, you subject yourself to being dissected like a bug on a table by people who are living in a tv drama.

Sometimes a duck is just a duck and a like is just a like....and if I've offended anyone by using  a duck analogy, I apologize in advance.

1 minute ago, skypinkblu said:

It's interesting, I read RMA's post about how people who disagree with him, like the posts of others who disagree with him and how awful that is, yet I look at your post and see a few people who agree with your agreement of him, liking your post and that is FINE.

I've never done facebook, I have no interest in joining, but this all seems so childish, just use the damned button if you feel like it and don't if you don't. The drama lately from some people picking apart every sentence, every possible motive, every word and assigning all these interpretations to them is getting ridiculous. Bashing things because they are not the same, not perfect, is just giving me a headache. It's certainly not the way to make stuff work better.

This is a comic book chatboard, right? Not the Festivus board. 

We aren't discussing the fate of the nation and the root of all evil...or at least I hope we aren't.

Hate is a very strong term. People who hate it here and post, seriously need to take a look at how they are spending their lives and why.

My post was sarcastic.

13 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

My post was sarcastic.

That's good to know, but my response was in general and not specifically to you.  I know it might have seemed that way since you just posted, but yours was just the straw that made me post. There have been posts by others, too. 

I LIKE these boards...and I feel protective of them. I also think Arch is trying...is he the wizard of Oz, probably not, but having dealt with large groups of people whining when there is change, I can feel his pain. 

Change is hard, I know when we went through major changes at work it seemed to take eons to get used to stuff working a different way, and I never loved all of it.

Right now I'm trying to love the search feature in PMs, but it does not seem to always work. I do love the fact that there IS one, so  hopefully it will eventually work;)

Edited by skypinkblu
added a semtemce/

22 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

My vote on the "like button" is, I don't care either either way, I see pluses and minus's. 

The biggest minus seems to be possible hurt egos. 

My biggest plus so far, is I can agree with someone by just hitting a button and not having to quote them and write out "+1", the problem is, either way, you subject yourself to being dissected like a bug on a table by people who are living in a tv drama.

Sometimes a duck is just a duck and a like is just a like....and if I've offended anyone by using  a duck analogy, I apologize in advance.

My biggest problem with the "Like" button is that it is another thing in an already jumbled, messy looking post. Take a look a your last post. What is the thing that immediately pops out? The stupid heart and "Like This". Why do we NEED it? The entire purpose of migrating to these Boards was more functionality, right? What purpose does the "Like" button serve? None. Zero. Zilch. This. Is. Not. Facebook. :sumo:

image.png

On 3/12/2017 at 10:41 PM, Architecht said:

That actually wasn't intentional. It doesn't have to be anonymous, and now it isn't.

You guys should go to the leaderboard, scroll down to like posts, and click on the like counts to see who has liked things. It will give you a feeling for who around here might find it valuable.

Additionally - here's the value of the like button. It surfaces good content - or it least it can if the membership treats it that way. It surfaces it in a better way than just replying to it. Over time this page:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/leaderboard/

(scroll down to the posts) can show the content that was consistently found to be the most valuable. Even if it's old. Even if it didn't get stickied. Even if it was buried in the middle of a thread. Yes, some lightweight posts will get likes just because they're funny, but over the long haul it's the substantive stuff that tends to get voted up. I COULD enable down voting as well, which might help trivial content to get de-prioritized, but it could also just become a vehicle for trolling, so it's off.

People have to choose to use it correctly, but it definitely has the potential for value. Think back over the years to any content that you thought might have been super informative or clarifying. Right now, I bet some of it is pretty buried. Likes can surface that kind of content.

@ArchitechtI've tried this a few times, but I click on the number and I get a box that says "reputation activity" and when I click on that, it says "there is nothing here yet". I've tried it with Blowie's number and Porcupine's a few times, same thing. Maybe you have different permissions?

@HarveySwickI'm using a pc, so my screen does not look like yours. It's on the side. I guess it just does not bother me that much, I'm fine either way.

I stopped using my phone because I'm finding the PM screen is not responsive. I don't know if it's my carrier (Verizon) or the boards. I miss getting my pms promptly in emails on my phone either way. That bothers me more than a like button.

3 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

What the hell, you're too awesome not to like your post

I'm guessing, because I don't use it, that Like buttons are a HUGE thing on Facebook? I have gotten tons of advertisements offering me discounts if I like something.

Maybe that's what we should do.

10% off if you like my post!

I'm not sure about 10% off what, but ...

5 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

@HarveySwickI'm using a pc, so my screen does not look like yours. It's on the side. I guess it just does not bother me that much, I'm fine either way.

I stopped using my phone because I'm finding the PM screen is not responsive. I don't know if it's my carrier (Verizon) or the boards. I miss getting my pms promptly in emails on my phone either way. That bothers me more than a like button.

That's part of the problem. I feel like the New Boards cater to users that use a PC whereas those that mainly use a tablet or smart phone - :sorry::boo:

There was never such a stark difference in user experience on the Old Boards when using a PC vs mobile device. Now...? ?

13 minutes ago, HarveySwick said:

That's part of the problem. I feel like the New Boards cater to users that use a PC whereas those that mainly use a tablet or smart phone - :sorry::boo:

There was never such a stark difference in user experience on the Old Boards when using a PC vs mobile device. Now...? ?

But the like button leaving won't solve that.

I know someone on the hate thread said nothing has been changed, but I'm seeing changes all the time, I guess I'm just hanging in, waiting for it to all come together...but I'm not somewhere where I use a phone all day. I can understand that must be frustrating. I used my phone a lot more, before, but usually it was only to look at pms, so I can understand where it can be frustrating for someone who is at an office where they can only check their phone, or in the field or something like that.

30 minutes ago, HarveySwick said:

Hi @HarveySwick, It's a shame you feel this way as I thought one of the main drivers for the boards migration was to improve the user experience on mobile devices. You've done a lot in your history on the boards and your old NOOB Guide was helpful to me when I joined. I think people like you deserve a little more respect / support and I can see why you are frustrated when you get little help back:

I am OK with IT in general but I'm by no means an expert. I've gotten used to the new boards and the PC experience is fine for me. There are so many more things I can do on here that I either couldn't, or would have struggled to do on the old boards.

I actually find the new mobile version infinitely better than trying to pinch zoom the old boards.

@Architecht - what can you do to help here? Look at all the effort Harvey put in on the old boards to welcome NOOBs:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7324793

Can we return the favour with a 'how to' guide for mobiles? 

Harvey - if you can list out your main gripes lets see if we can all answer them (calmly). This is a popular thread, so you'll probably get more of a response here (than you did to your post above)! :)

Edited by Marwood & I
Clarity

2 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

I'm glad you have responded here, so I have the opportunity to address your concerns about my post.

Let me start by saying that that's not what I said. 

It's not about "disagreeing." 

Here's what I said:

Posts that are derogatory against someone is "liked" by others who don't like that someone. If I post "so and so sucks canal water" and other people "like" that post, have they not publicly endorsed that view, thereby creating (and sustaining) factionalism? 

Note the words "derogatory" and "sucks canal water." That's not "disagreeing." That's making derogatory comments.

There's an incredible...in fact, foundational...difference between the two, that is the heart of my comment.

People can disagree without being derogatory. It's not at all about "disagreeing."

If you're going to comment about my posts, I don't think it's at all unreasonable or unfair to expect you to characterize what I've said accurately.

Bashing things because they are not the same, not perfect, is just giving me a headache.

You are diminishing people by painting their complaints as "bashing." "Bashing" is a "provocative word", certain to "rouse emotions in others", as discussed elsewhere. If it's giving you a headache, perhaps the sensible thing to do would be to stop reading these threads that concern the new board.

It's certainly not the way to make stuff work better.

There's no way for anyone to know that someone has a problem  with something unless they voice their concerns. Companies have gone out of business because they were doing things that customers didn't like, but those companies never knew there were problems.

I care about the Certified Collectibles Group. I have a mutually beneficial relationship with this company. I do not want them to lose business because there are concerns about any aspect of the company  that aren't addressed. Maybe the customer has a point, and the company can improve their service. Maybe the company has a reason for doing what they're doing, and can't change it, but can address those concerns to reassure customers.

Regardless, if the company never knows these issues exist...as inelegantly as a customer base may express those issues...they cannot address them at all. Customers voicing concerns is the very heart of corporate improvement.

but having dealt with large groups of people whining when there is change,

It is not fair...in fact it is derogatory...to diminish the concerns of customers by referring to it as "whining." These are real people, with real concerns that bother them, enough to risk a bit of social stigma by voicing those concerns. A very large amount of people who don't like change do NOT voice those concerns, but simply go away, deciding that it's not worth the effort to voice a concern, then have someone else characterize it as "whining." 

Are there unreasonable complaints, or complaints that have been addressed to individuals multiple times, that can reasonably be called "whining"? Sure. Does that represent a majority, or even a plurality, of the complaints? No.

"Whining" is another one of those "provocative words" that "rouses emotion in others." The best way to deal with these discussions is soberly, without unnecessary provocation and emotionally charged commentary. Wouldn't you agree?

I hope you take the time to consider my comments, and let's see if we can find some common ground. 

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

11 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

The problem with the "Like" button is that it only tells half of the story. I can only imagine what would happen if we had a "Hate" button

hm

One more point to address, if I may. My comment was about people making derogatory comments towards specific people. JSJ's comment, however, isn't about anyone specifically. It's a generic comment, not aimed at anyone in particular.

So, yes, of course that is fine.

These distinctions may seem trivial or pedantic to some, but if people are going to understand where someone else is coming from, it's vital that these distinctions be made and understood.

5 minutes ago, Hado said:

I don't want to be accused of being a toadie again, so I'm not going to like either of those posts.

notification: your post has been liked by me, there is no obligation to like any of my posts in return. Have a good day.

Edited by jsilverjanet

29 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

One more point to address, if I may. My comment was about people making derogatory comments towards specific people. JSJ's comment, however, isn't about anyone specifically. It's a generic comment, not aimed at anyone in particular.

So, yes, of course that is fine.

These distinctions may seem trivial or pedantic to some, but if people are going to understand where someone else is coming from, it's vital that these distinctions be made and understood.

I've been told I'm doing good work here, so thank you both for acknowledging that 2c

1 1