• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NAMOR THE SUB-MARINER TV show (TBD)
2 2

71 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

That would be interesting if so.

But again, unless Disney is looking to spend even more $ on a low tier character that will be perceived by general audiences as derivative, why go through the bother ? If they had Spider-Man I guess I could see them just trying to complete the set, but they don't.  They wanted Fox for the villains anyway, and they got them. So what exactly would be their to incentive to go hard for Subby?

-J. 

Not that difficult a strategy to figure out, though. With all the new characters the MCU has integrated successfully over the years (Scarlet Witch, Vision, Falcon, Ant-Man, Wasp, Winter Soldier, Black Panther) it realizes it  needs to keep this going. And especially with characters fans are hungry to see on the screen. Namor was a target for Marvel even going back to 2009 when it had him as one of the 8 characters in development. So it makes sense this could be coming back to the forefront again.

56 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

So what exactly would be their to incentive to go hard for Subby?

You got to remember they are making the movies/tv show for the mainstream audience and not the comic book audience were X-Men and Spider-Man ruled. That`s why obscure comic book characters like Groot and Rocket Raccoon took off. Just about any Marvel obscure character could hit it big now. Watch Eternals and Master of Kung movies come close to 1 billion at box office.

Sub-Mariner would be used to compete against Aquaman which did over 1 billion at box office.

So going forward I would think any Marvel character has huge potential.

Yes, even Squirrel Girl. lol.

So I would try to load up on as many first appearances of Marvel super heroes/villians as I could. It doesn`t matter first,second or third tier, as eventually they all will make a Marvel tv/movie appearance.

Now when can Ka-Zar start getting some hype?

lol.

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

That would be interesting if so.

But again, unless Disney is looking to spend even more $ on a low tier character that will be perceived by general audiences as derivative, why go through the bother ? If they had Spider-Man I guess I could see them just trying to complete the set, but they don't.  They wanted Fox for the villains anyway, and they got them. So what exactly would be their to incentive to go hard for Subby?

-J. 

Because he’s their hook into an underwater world, he’s awesome and want him, they have the $$ to do it, and the track record to motivate other companies to partner with them because they have the Midas touch.

But your argument has merit too...

It’s a coin toss...

I gotta agree with @Jaydogrules on this one. By the time they get something going with Namor and released, there will  have been (at least) 2 Aquaman movies out. The general public will just see this as Marvel trying to copycat DC - regardless of the history of the character from and in the comics. It'd be a hard sell to the movie going public that this was anything different. It's the same reasoning I've seen used for why a Moonknight movie would get a hard time getting off the ground (too much like Batman, regardless of the popularity - or lack thereof - of the character). 

2 hours ago, Antpark said:

I gotta agree with @Jaydogrules on this one. By the time they get something going with Namor and released, there will  have been (at least) 2 Aquaman movies out. The general public will just see this as Marvel trying to copycat DC - regardless of the history of the character from and in the comics. It'd be a hard sell to the movie going public that this was anything different. It's the same reasoning I've seen used for why a Moonknight movie would get a hard time getting off the ground (too much like Batman, regardless of the popularity - or lack thereof - of the character). 

I would prefer a Netflix show for Moon Knight like Daredevil, JJones, Luke Cage & Punisher as opposed to doing a movie.  If they did a movie it would need to be R rated and be really gritty.   
I still believe a Moon Knight TV/Movie is coming but when is the real question. 

3 hours ago, musicmeta said:

I would prefer a Netflix show for Moon Knight like Daredevil, JJones, Luke Cage & Punisher as opposed to doing a movie.  If they did a movie it would need to be R rated and be really gritty.   
I still believe a Moon Knight TV/Movie is coming but when is the real question. 

Agreed.

17 hours ago, Antpark said:

I don't know. If handled right, Namor could be eased into the picture as an anti-hero eco-terrorist warring against the surface. The challenge is how to avoid appearing like Orm with trash and ships tossed to the shores as that would feel like a replay.

9 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

Bosco, is that Two Kings logo real?

I really want Namor to be introduced into the MCU.  I know it's problematic with Aquaman out there, but Kevin F will know how to handle it.

Unfortunately, not yet. Boss Logic created it when he started hearing from his Marvel contacts there is a chance Black Panther 2 will have Namor in it. So then he created the logo to encourage this further.

3 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Is it legal to do that? hm

What if....Kevin Feige is an incognito member of this board. :ph34r:

:roflmao:

I thought one of the fellows posting reviews in The Kitchen thread...

hm

Back in 2017 the rumor was a Namor TV show in the works. Which later people didn't realize prior to the massive streaming pipelines developed this could actually be a tremendous hit with the right funding, casting and storyline.

Times have changed.

"Marvel's first mutant"

Marvel has repeatedly identified Namor as "Marvel's first mutant", which is true with regard to the order in which the character appeared in print. He is not the oldest mutant within the fictional Marvel Universe timeline. A number of mutants predate him, including Selene (active since at least 10,000 BC), Apocalypse (born in the 30th century BC), Exodus (born in the 12th century AD), Wolverine (late 19th century AD), Mystique and Destiny (dates of birth unknown, but known to have been active at the "Dawn of the 20th century"), the demonic mutant Azazel, and a group of mutants known as the Externals

In X-Men #6 (July 1964), X-Men leader Professor Xavier and antagonist Magneto each suspect Namor is a mutant and make efforts to recruit him. Later writers in the 1960s and 1970s described him as a hybrid, not a mutant, to distinguish him from the mutant X-Men. When the series was revived in 1990, the series title logo carried the subtitle "Marvel's first and mightiest mutant!".

Namor is actually a hybrid of Atlantean and human physiology, although he has principal characteristics that neither Atlanteans ( mermanus) nor humans ( sapiens) possess. These include his ability to fly, and possibly his durability and strength (which is several times that of an Atlantean)

In the first issue of the five-part Illuminati miniseries, after being experimented on by the Skrulls, it was confirmed that Namor is not only an Atlantean/human hybrid but also a mutant.

Maybe the Disney+ show comes first leading to the additional family revealed in Black Panther 2?

Fandomwire previously reported that Black Panther 2 would include a conflict between Wakanda and Atlantis which has led to speculation from fans. It was also reported that Narcos: Mexico star Tenoch Huerta had joined the cast as an unknown villain. And after some intense digging, The Illuminerdi has learned from our sources that Tenoch Huerta will be playing none other than Namor the Submariner.

POC Culture revealed that Black Panther 2 was looking to cast one Mayan woman called “Zyanya” and one Mayan man called “Cadmael”. They also reported that “the casting call indicates that all actors of North and South American Indigenous backgrounds will be considered for the roles.”

We at The Illuminerdi can reveal that the two “Mayan warriors” that Black Panther 2 has been looking to cast are important characters in Namor and Atlantean lore. Zyanya is a codename for Namora, Namor’s cousin, while Cadmael is a codename for Attuma, an Atlantean warlord.

Both of these characters have played important roles in Namor’s story. Namora is Namor’s cousin, although not by blood, and while originally named Aquaria Nautica Neptunia, she was nicknamed Namora in honor of her cousin. She is an ally of Namor’s and like him, Namora is half Atlantean and half mutant with the ability to fly.

Namor's time underwater began to dwindle once he encountered the Fantastic Four in the modern age, which drastically spreads his time between Atlantis and the surface.  Fantastic Four and his desire for their most powerful member, the Invisible Woman even serves as the root of the tension between former friend and brutal Atlantean warlord by the name of Attuma. The storyline itself can be chalked down to silver age antics, but Fantastic Four #9 is a vital chapter in the narrative of Namor's battle against Marvel's First Family. While Namor's loyalties may lie with Atlantis once again, the Sub Mariner's film company remains an existing entity within the Marvel Universe.

Dan Slott's current Fantastic Four run which began in the summer of 2018, has seen a variety of callbacks from the team's decorated comic history ranging from the return of the Ultimate Nullifier, to the young girl Wendy and her "Friends". Given recent rumored Marvel Cinematic Universe developments, an appearance from Namor's Hollywood profession may be exactly what the series needs to reinject life into the Sub Mariner character.