• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adam Warlock 1st appearance?
1 1

75 posts in this topic

In the case of Valkyrie, perhaps it is people valuing appearance over substance?

It should also work for ST 114 - but somehow that was stopped long ago.

If I draw Howard the Duck for the first time ever but tell you it is actually Daffy Duck in disguise in the story line, is it not the first time Howard the Duck has appeared anywhere? These are comic book characters after all, not actual beings.

If you haven't, you guys should check out the thread below. Marvel Premiere should get more consideration as the true 1st appearance of who we know of today as Adam Warlock.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/315707-warlock-first-appearance-marvel-premiere-1/#comment-7273150

35 minutes ago, Likefro said:

If you haven't, you guys should check out the thread below. Marvel Premiere should get more consideration as the true 1st appearance of who we know of today as Adam Warlock.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/315707-warlock-first-appearance-marvel-premiere-1/#comment-7273150

Thanks!  And for the record I agree on MP1.  That's my Warlock.  Plus it's cheaper ;) 

3 hours ago, Andahaion said:

Thanks!  And for the record I agree on MP1.  That's my Warlock.  Plus it's cheaper ;) 

I tend to agree. I like MP #1 as the first appearance of the Adam Warlock that we all know from the various Infinity series...not the golden underoos HIM. My supporting argument is TTA #27 vs. #35 as the true 1st appearance of Ant-Man. TTA #27 is the first appearance of Hank Pym, the scientist in street clothes that tests out the serum that makes him shrink to the size of an ant...TTA #35 is the first appearance of our Ant-Man, the costumed superhero that went on to join the Avengers. I think the same logic applies to Adam Warlock.

Edited by AGGIEZ

4 hours ago, Andahaion said:

Very excited about my recent acquisition.  Whatever your thoughts on first appearance, sellers have built in premiums on all Warlock books based on the expectation of Him appearing in a movie soon.  I generally agree, I mean how can we have Thanos and Infinity stuff sans Warlock?  Based on market forces, I targeted this book first as it is (at least as evidenced by price) regarded as the desirable book to have, though FF#67 is close.  I could argue either way, which is fun, but the market has its opinion.  At any rate, what a gorgeous book!  I found it on eBay of all places.  I don't ever hit the BIN, but this was listed at about $100 more than 9.0s that I was shopping and they weren't as nearly as well registered.

Thor165.jpg

Ebay will get you some good deals on some key books sometimes

4 hours ago, Likefro said:

I read this and there is another in depth thread as well.  This is a unique but similar situation to Carol Danvers as Aggiez has supported.  I just bought a Marvel Premiere 1 in a 9.8 for 6k.  I also agree that one has to have all three as a true collector but i recognize that Thor 165 is a full and FF 67 is a cameo. Thanks everyone for all your comments. They helped me come to this conclusion

48 minutes ago, AGGIEZ said:

I tend to agree. I like MP #1 as the first appearance of the Adam Warlock that we all know from the various Infinity series...not the golden underoos HIM. My supporting argument is TTA #27 vs. #35 as the true 1st appearance of Ant-Man. TTA #27 is the first appearance of Hank Pym, the scientist in street clothes that tests out the serum that makes him shrink to the size of an ant...TTA #35 is the first appearance of our Ant-Man, the costumed superhero that went on to join the Avengers. I think the same logic applies to Adam Warlock.

I agree. I think TTA 27 has held on for so long because it's acceptance as the first Ant Man goes back decades. It's so ensconced in comic fandom as the 1st app that I don't think it's ever going to change

51 minutes ago, AGGIEZ said:

Aggiez, I like your posts on this subject and tend to agree as does the market.  The only devil's advocate I would bring up as a question are the factors regarding the TTA example.  Is the rarity of that book making Henry Pym's 1st app more of the value than the Ant Man app. If it is the main factor than it may not be a good example to compare in this situation. I havent looked at the cgc registry to confirm this so any research would be welcomed.  I think the Carol Danvers example is more fitting.

38 minutes ago, brianchew said:

Aggiez, I like your posts on this subject and tend to agree as does the market.  The only devil's advocate I would bring up as a question are the factors regarding the TTA example.  Is the rarity of that book making Henry Pym's 1st app more of the value than the Ant Man app. If it is the main factor than it may not be a good example to compare in this situation. I havent looked at the cgc registry to confirm this so any research would be welcomed.  I think the Carol Danvers example is more fitting.

TTA #27 label states "1st appearance of the Ant-Man, (Henry Pym, not in costume)."

TTA #35 label states "Origin and 2nd appearance of Ant-Man., 1st appearance of Ant-Man in costume."

Marvel Super-Heroes #13 label states "1st appearance of Carol Danvers, 2nd appearance of Captain Marvel."

Ms. Marvel #1 label states "1st Carol Danvers as Ms. Marvel"

No consistency between the labels on these two books. If they were consistent, then TTA #27 would be labeled "1st appearance of Henry Pym" and TTA #35 would be labeled "1st Henry Pym as Ant-Man"...OR the MSH#13 would be labeled as the "1st appearance of Ms. Marvel (Carol Danvers)"...which I don't think it the correct distinction. I think the way they have the Danvers/Ms. Marvel labels is as accurate as you're going to get.

To tie this back to the HIM/Warlock discussion, the label for the MP#1 is more consistent in thought with the Danvers/Ms. Marvel labels:

Fantastic Four #67 = "Origin and 1st appearance of Him, (Warlock) in cameo"

Thor #165 = "1st full appearance of Him (Warlock)"

Marvel Premiere #1 = if they were really consistent, then it should say"1st HIM as Warlock"....the current label states "1st appearance of Him as Adam Warlock"...which is close enough in my book.

I think the HIM/Warlock books are appropriately labeled...I just prefer first FULL appearances, particularly those with the character on the cover...which is Thor #165 in this case. (thumbsu 

9 minutes ago, AGGIEZ said:

TTA #27 label states "1st appearance of the Ant-Man, (Henry Pym, not in costume)."

TTA #35 label states "Origin and 2nd appearance of Ant-Man., 1st appearance of Ant-Man in costume."

Marvel Super-Heroes #13 label states "1st appearance of Carol Danvers, 2nd appearance of Captain Marvel."

No consistency between the labels on these two books. If they were consistent, then TTA #27 would be labeled "1st appearance of Henry Pym" and TTA #35 would be labeled "1st Henry Pym as Ant-Man"...OR the MSH#13 would be labeled as the "1st appearance of Ms. Marvel (Carol Danvers)"...which I don't think it the correct distinction. I think the way they have the Danvers/Ms. Marvel labels is as accurate as you're going to get.

To tie this back to the HIM/Warlock discussion, the label for the MP#1 is more consistent in thought with the Danvers/Ms. Marvel labels:

Marvel Premiere #1 = if they were really consistent, then it should say"1st HIM as Warlock"....the current label states "1st appearance of Him as Adam Warlock"...which is close enough in my book.

I think the HIM/Warlock books are appropriately labeled...I just prefer first FULL appearances, particularly those with the character on the cover...which is Thor #165 in this case. (thumbsu 

Thx for posting this info as it brings up another variable besides the factor of rarity on the tta 27 driving up price. The factor is cgc labeling and sending the market to this issue and increasing demand.  You are again correct as the labeling is completely inconsistant and i would add incorrect as how can it be the 1st app of ant man when its only hank pym. This really makes me 35 for my collection if they ever correct this. Im gonna read 27 to verify its only hank in tht issue. Thx aggiez!

16 minutes ago, brianchew said:

Thx for posting this info as it brings up another variable besides the factor of rarity on the tta 27 driving up price. The factor is cgc labeling and sending the market to this issue and increasing demand.  You are again correct as the labeling is completely inconsistant and i would add incorrect as how can it be the 1st app of ant man when its only hank pym. This really makes me 35 for my collection if they ever correct this. Im gonna read 27 to verify its only hank in tht issue. Thx aggiez!

I believe all Henry Pym does in TTA #27 is pour the shrinking sermum on his arm, shrink down to the size of an ant, explore, then it wears off and he grows back to normal size. It's TTA #35 where he really becomes the superhero, with his new cybernetic helmet, speaking to and controlling ants, strong as a man but made like an ant, etc. If the splash page didn't say "Return" of the Ant-Man in #35, I don't think there would be much argument here. Proponents of #27 argue that how could Ant-Man "Return" in #35 if he hadn't already appeared in #27.

I get the scarcity angle on the price, but #27 is generally accepted (and labeled as such) as the 1st appearance of Ant-Man...and I don't think that's correct.

http://berkeleyplaceblog.com/2017/01/13/tales-astonish-35-1962-first-appearance-ant-man/

TTA #27

screen-shot-2015-06-28-at-3-16-57-pm.png

Edited by AGGIEZ

26 minutes ago, AGGIEZ said:

I believe all Henry Pym does in TTA #27 is pour the shrinking sermum on his arm, shrink down to the size of an ant, explore, then it wears off and he grows back to normal size. It's TTA #35 where he really becomes the superhero, with his new cybernetic helmet, speaking to and controlling ants, strong as a man but made like an ant, etc. If the splash page didn't say "Return" of the Ant-Man in #35, I don't think there would be much argument here. Proponents of #27 argue that how could Ant-Man "Return" in #35 if he hadn't already appeared in #27.

I get the scarcity angle on the price, but #27 is generally accepted (and labeled as such) as the 1st appearance of Ant-Man...and I don't think that's correct.

http://berkeleyplaceblog.com/2017/01/13/tales-astonish-35-1962-first-appearance-ant-man/

TTA #27

screen-shot-2015-06-28-at-3-16-57-pm.png

Wow, very unique situation. Showing the powers yet not using it in hero form. Kinda like half the appearance story. 

On 3/21/2017 at 11:53 AM, AGGIEZ said:

On the inconsistency; I've seen Avengers #32 labels with no comments and I've seen more recent labels say, "1st Appearance of Bill Foster". Have they started adding "Black Goliath" to the labels? I haven't seen an example of any.

On 5/10/2021 at 8:56 PM, britanyweel said:

Yeah, it's such a problem that you could read a spell, it probably won't help anyway.

It's not very funny - when I was watching the TV series, I was unrealistically hooked on magic. One wizard decided to stand up for people and help them defeat demons and survive. This legendary wizard was nicknamed the King of Mages. Aster and Yuno are orphans living in the same village church. Since childhood, they have been competing with each other, arguing over which one of them will be the next King of Mages. But the trouble is, Aster is so inept that he can't use magic at all, while Yuno can safely be called a genius. I almost lost my mind over it, and then I got a taste for it and started thinking of myself as God knows who. Even in real life I acted like that - yelling at people, cleaning the phone with magic, although the site is not bad, there is something interesting