• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adam Warlock 1st appearance?
1 1

75 posts in this topic

In the discussion of 1st appearances.....

Even a comic like Top Notch 22 is getting more attention (Archie appears in an advertisement which came out 5 days before PEP comics 22).

You used to be able to get the comic for super low money, but not anymore.  Collectors are paying attention to even these quirky Ad 1st appearances (a 5.0 sold for $13,200 last month)

Certainly PEP 22 is the comic to have, but it's pretty interesting to see the dark haired Archie with an "S" on his sweater.

I have yet to see any CGC label change for the comic.

1.jpeg

On 10/15/2021 at 7:45 AM, APDallas said:

I am beginning to see a HULK 180 vs 181 situation. Will FF 67 (which has the first appearance of Warlock as Him) play second fiddle to THOR 165 (which has his first cover appearance).

Yes

FIRST FULL will always win but that doesn’t mean there won’t be dead horse debating…

On 10/15/2021 at 9:22 AM, Lou Slipper said:

This isn't quite right because there was no Warlock prior to MP #1, so it's just "the first appearance of Him". MP #1 has the first appearance of Him as Adam Warlock.

Not sure just changing a character's name provides a new "first appearance."  Otherwise, we'll have to figure out the first time Wolverine is revealed to be "James (Logan) Howlett" and give that a bump.

On 10/15/2021 at 11:22 AM, Lou Slipper said:

This isn't quite right because there was no Warlock prior to MP #1, so it's just "the first appearance of Him". MP #1 has the first appearance of Him as Adam Warlock.

It's been awhile since I read it, but I think he was given the name Warlock by the High Evolutionary in MP#1, it wasn't until MP#2 that his human friends gave him the first name of Adam.

New to this topic, but I remember well all the Him / Warlock and *every Thanos appearance ever* debates from 30+ years ago, when Infinity Gauntlet first came out and suddenly everyone in the world was chasing the 70s cosmic books.

FF # 67 is the first appearance.

Marvel Premiere # 1 is the more important appearance - and a book I cared far more about than either of the FF books.

I never cared about the Thor appearances - because (as noted at the very beginning of this thread) - they happened more than 2 years after Him first appeared - in FF 67. Full stop.

First cover? Only matters in the CGC era.

I needed to do it at the time but I regret selling my Marvel Premiere 1 copies now (CGC 9.6, 9.0 & 8.5). It - and Warlock # 1 - are *evil* to find in 9.6 or above.

No regrets whatsoever about having sold FF 66-67 (5.0 raw copies picked up years ago for maybe $10 apiece).

On 10/16/2021 at 1:30 AM, Gatsby77 said:

New to this topic, but I remember well all the Him / Warlock and *every Thanos appearance ever* debates from 30+ years ago, when Infinity Gauntlet first came out and suddenly everyone in the world was chasing the 70s cosmic books.

FF # 67 is the first appearance.

Marvel Premiere # 1 is the more important appearance - and a book I cared far more about than either of the FF books.

I never cared about the Thor appearances - because (as noted at the very beginning of this thread) - they happened more than 2 years after Him first appeared - in FF 67. Full stop.

First cover? Only matters in the CGC era.

I needed to do it at the time but I regret selling my Marvel Premiere 1 copies now (CGC 9.6, 9.0 & 8.5). It - and Warlock # 1 - are *evil* to find in 9.6 or above.

No regrets whatsoever about having sold FF 66-67 (5.0 raw copies picked up years ago for maybe $10 apiece).

This ...

If you bother to read the books, it all goes down in FF67.

But it goes without sayin, that the 1st cover appearance in Thor 165 trumps all. But that is cgc hype. It says it all that Thor 165 came out 2 years AFTER  FF 67.

On 10/16/2021 at 7:40 AM, Lou Slipper said:

They did way more than just change his name. Read MP #1 and you'll see.

Well said. 

Strange Tales #178 features an impressive recap of the character's history by Jim Starlin.

It is obvious that the FF #67 and Thor #163 - 166 Lee stories feature the very bland Him, and that Adam Warlock did not appear until Marvel Premiere #1, when the character was reinvented as a messiah-like figure by Roy Thomas. 

The High Evolutionary also rechristens Him as Adam Warlock in MP #1.

On 10/14/2021 at 9:12 PM, speedcake said:

I do have a quite nice Thor 165, though. So all is not lost

Especially since I believe it's Thor 165 that carries the most value in today's marketplace, probably due to his first cover appearance. :luhv:

On 10/15/2021 at 9:48 AM, AGGIEZ said:

Yes

FIRST FULL will always win but that doesn’t mean there won’t be dead horse debating…

Tend to agree with you. I am a Hulk 181 ASM 300 guy. Which has always made X-men 120/121 odd to me. 120 is the Cameo (even CGC says that), and 121 the First Full Appearance, but market clearly favors 120. I have read people say it's because of the 120 cover, but it is still at odds with conventional wisdom.

Edited by flynavy807