• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FANTASTIC FOUR Relaunched (TBD)
1 1

60 posts in this topic

Jonathan Hickman Confirms Marvel Cancelled The FANTASTIC FOUR Comics Over Film Rights

Marvel has denied for the longest that they cancelled their long-running Fantastic Four comic series over a dispute with 20th Century Fox about film rights but Jonathan Hickman is saying otherwise.

The Fantastic Four comic books were unceremoniously cancelled in 2014 and its characters were eventually put in comic book limbo (aside from a brief appearance in Secret Wars II) - a move Bleeding Cool attributed to Marvel Studios (chiefly Ike Perlmutter's) unhappiness with Fox retaining the Fantastic Four film rights.  

Marvel Comics has denied that was the case, citing poor comic book sales as the catalyst for the decision to cancel the FF books but after years and years of speculation and denials we finally have confirmation from Hickman that film rights are indeed the reason why the Fantastic Four are largely absent from the Marvel universe right now.

"I think it’s pretty common knowledge at this point that Marvel isn’t publishing Fantastic Four because of their disagreement with Fox.  While it bums me out, I completely understand because, well, it isn’t like they’re not acting out of cause. Fox needs to do a better job there." said  Hickman.

But Hickman wasn't letting Marvel off the hook either. "That kind of thinking runs contrary to everything I believe in as a professional storyteller.  It comes from a place of manipulation where an attempt is made to make the reader desire something through denial. It's hacky. It's suboptimal. It's the central tenet of all sh---y dating advice. If you want someone to care about a book, write a story they care about."

What a wasted effort on a solid actor.

The Thing Actor Jamie Bell Calls FANTASTIC FOUR A "Bitter Disappointment"

Thing.jpg

Jamie Bell - who played that weird looking CGI Thing - is the latest to explain why he felt let down with what ultimately became of the reboot when it reached theaters.

Of course, considering the fact Simon Kinberg took the helm of extensive reshoots which entirely changed the final act and tone of the movie, it's not a surprise things panned out the way they did.

"There were several things on that movie I was clearly not privy to because I’m just an actor and I just do my stuff on set," Bell explained in a recent interview with the Los Angeles Times. "But with something like that, everything starts with the best of intentions. A production begins with the idea to make something that’s unique and original and with integrity. I think the film really strived towards those goals. I don’t know what happened between the launch of the voyage and the arrival. I think we were all bitterly disappointed with that film. But that’s just the way it goes sometimes."

At least with his latest show TURN on AMC, he was given a chance to demonstrate how solid an actor he truly is.

'Fantastic Four' Kid-Friendly Reboot May Be A Rework Of 'Kindergarten Heroes'

fantastic-four-reboot-1003831.png

Bleeding Cool posted an article today that suggests the new Fantastic Four reboot is based on an unpublished Mark Millar series. The famed comic creator announced he was working on a children’s series titled Kindergarten Heroes back in February 2012, but the series never made it to print. Millar was able to option Kindergarten Heroes to Fox in 2013, and sources are now saying the series is being tailored for the Fantastic Four.

Kindergarten Heroes had its own screenplay penned awhile ago by Carter Blanchard, so there is no telling how its narrative will tie into the Fantastic Four. Seth Grahame-Smith has been tied to the reboot as a screenwriter, so elements of Kindergarten Heroes’ -script may still be salvaged.

Fox has not released any official details about its plans for a third Fantastic Four reboot, but reports about the film continue to persist.

I agree with CC... start off with a Silver Surfer movie from the perspective of the surfer... end the movie with the Surfer as the herald and bringing Galactus to Earth... have the Human Torch intercept in the credits... boom bring in the FF at a later date.

Or...

FFS just give it back to marvel. 

I'd like to see them do Annihilation.FF would fit in perfect. leave it all in space.aren't the FF off adventuring in space now anyway? Annihilus and the FF are like pb&j.they could meet the shi'ar and champion and go from there with the annihilation wave.

'X-Men' Director Matthew Vaughn Wants To Reboot The 'Fantastic Four'

It’s a touch-and-go process to talk Fantastic Four with comic book fans. The team is one of Marvel’s most famous, but Hollywood has yet to give the family a decent live-action adaptation. However, if Matthew Vaughn has his way, he would get to reboot Fantastic Four as a sort of apology.

During a recent interview, Vaughn spoke with CinemaBlend about his new film Kingsman: The Golden Circle. The movie is the latest the writer/director has worked on, but fans will remember that Vaughn was a producer on the last Fantastic Four film. And, now, the director is saying he’s got an obligation to fans to make up for the flop.

“The other one I've felt an obligation to do is, I wouldn't mind maybe making a Fantastic Four film to apologize to everyone out there that maybe it didn't go very well for them,” Vaughn explained.

“It's brilliant. One of my favorites is the Fantastic Four, so maybe one day I'll try and rectify the mistake.”

:wishluck:

1 hour ago, Callaway29 said:

This is all it takes to get me excited...is that sad?

I read that last week, and was waiting to see if any details came out from it. I think it was just someone emphasizing the word to make it clear how excited they were on the moved date.

But we shall see. It definitely received plenty of attention.